Phony gold claims selling on eBay

Irish1941

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2011
I don't post on here as much as I should or could. Too busy reading and exploring the desert but something caught my attention the other day and thought I share so T-net folks don't get taken.
There is a guy on eBay selling claims. No big deal, lots do.

However here is the difference:
Guy lists up claims that look legit. Go have a look: eBay #140989898466
Even has a link to Bureau of Mines to prove the claim as legitimate.

www.nationalbureauofmines.us
Funny thing is the mining bureau website is fake!
It's nearly an exact copy of the proper mining agency which has the same address except it's .org vs the listed .us
www.nationalbureauofmines.org
The fake mine website lists an address in Reno but with google earth, the address shows it's a postal mailing shop!
316 California Ave Reno, NV 89509 ‎
The real bureau is in Utah.

A quick whois search on the domain "www.nationalbureauofmines.us" came back with the real name behind the fake mining bureau site. The guy selling you the claim OWNS the fake bureau site that will register your newly bought claim! Now how is that possible?

States in the auction in regards to the phony mining site:
"This means that your claim boundaries, all paperwork and ultimately your documented ownership will be certified and registered with the NBOM in Reno, NV and will become a permanent record for all of history to see and for your security."
Where's the security if it's his own phony site? All that means is there is NO security.

Which bring me to another thing.
Listing is made to look as if it's listed by The Department of Land Transfer, complete with white US Gov looking truck and a phony seal.

ImgServlet
It also has statements about how this "department" and the Bureau of Land Management have partnered up.
BLM has never heard of this guy or his phony department.
The Department of Land is a company he started. Just conveniently left of the "Ltd" from the auction and his truck.
And all the info relating to mining claims on the fake site is for...Dept of Land Transfer.
By the time you figure out what's happened, it's 10 months later and you're ass out.
Can't with 100% certainty if the actual claim is phony but guy sure went thru alot of trouble making up bullsh*t if it is a good claim.
Found this while looking up info:

Steven Cyros Attempts to Deceive Buyers Yet Again | Gold Rush Expeditions
Draw your own conclusions but be careful out there.
Irish

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry S, I could not agree with you more! It is so EASY to research and then file a claim (here in AZ) that I would venture to say it is CHEAPER to come down (up) to AZ to file on a real claim than to buy one off the internet! At the price most e-bay claims go for, people would SAVE MONEY by flying to AZ to file one themselves. And they are available here in PRIME gold areas.... PROVEN gold areas! Call TimC.... follow my printed instructions... or get one of the clerks (in Yavapai county) to help. My friends here on Treasurenet.com don't pay me or Tim a DIME to physically walk them through the process of owning their own claim proven to have gold on it BEFORE you pay for the claim. Easy! (this is not a sales pitch, as you are buying nothing from us or paying for the help we provide to our friends) TTC

OP
OP
Irish1941

Irish1941

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2011
Nice response! I agree with you guys 100%. And that's an offer you CAN'T turn down!
By the the time the dust settles it would be cheaper to just come out for a week and explore. Do loads of research as to where the gold bearing ground is in the area you would like to be before hand and hit the dirt running.
Locals can help clear up the 1000s of miles of desert you'd need to wade thru to find a good spot.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Not gonna lie boys .... I made some mistakes on eBay a few years back when I got into prospecting. Cost me a few bucks and no claims at the end of a long confusing tunnel. I had the fever bad in the beginning and wanted a claim yesterday.. :) Well, i still have no claim and have been doing farely well in the Mojave !

I remember this guys listings on eBay and his truck that looked official. What a trip...

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
It was a different guy. The guy was named rockproperties. He ended up giving me the money back after months and countless emails. 2 of the claims that he sent to me and I signed for an paid BLM fees were BOTH on private property, lol.. WTF. Lost all that money and lost a mining vacation I planned for over 6 months.. I was Getting ready to go on my month long mining trip up north on my new mining claim , well 2 days a before, I get a call from BLM saying there's a mistake and the claim was on private land... :( I even talked to the property owner to verify..

So to make a long story short, no mining trip happened, lol, that was the worst part of that eBay claim experience!

I was lucky to go for one weekend to downieville for the first time and a friend let me work one of his claims on the N. yuba. Had a blast , but only a weekend

Live and u learn...

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Brutal, thanks for sharing anyways hopefully other people will learn from your experience. Amazing what people do to one another sometimes lol.

S

stefen

might be the same guy that been scammin me to trade for my shares in the Golden Gate Bridge...:laughing7:

Jun 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBAY WILL DO NOTHING We reported on mining claim fraud and real-estate fraud and they are complicit in perpetrating this fraud on the public and they know it!!!
it is all about the money

Bejay

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Central Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Garret fully underwater
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fools buy claims off Ebay. Landmatters will lead anyone to a valid claim location that is open. All the details for filing are on Landmatters as well. Ebay is where fools rush in. Miners are those who make discovery after location occurs and MyLandMatters has a Claims Advantage option that lists all claims that end up closed and are open.....(monthly listings).

Be a miner and learn a little! MyLandMatters.Org

Bejay

Last edited:

Bonaro

Aug 9, 2004
Olympia WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Minelab SD 2200d, 2.5", 3", 4"and several Keene 5" production dredges, Knelson Centrifuge, Gold screw automatic panner
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Regardless of how shady this guys credentials and business practices are. if he is offering a piece of land that can be legally claimed AND the buyer is not a fool and insists on testing it first, it could work of as a win for the buyer. This statement is only because of the number of people I have met that have no clue who to find their own claim. Unfortunately, those are the same people who will skip the testing part.

I had a guy contact me about commercially developing a claim he recently purchased like this. He was going "all in" on this and his primary (only) motivation was that it was near the Hoffman claim in Oregon. Try as I might I could not talk him down :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions