Google Earth recon as a pretext to land based scouting

Jed Clampett

Feb 10, 2013
San Diego, Ca
Detector(s) used
Eyeballs, Magnet, Goldpan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My search terms turned up little so, erroneous or not, I figured I would drop a little info on Digital-Prospecting ideas/plugins.

Google Earth has a wealth of options that can assist the prospector in ways which simply did not exist >10 years ago.

MineCache is a plugin that I pay for. The dev asks 30 bux a year and honestly I feel that is a fair price. Can I get the information this plugin provides free, yes...sort of. What MineCache does is to show me a rough in of where active (also ancient, and closed) mine claims exist. More on this later.

The BLM offers a wealth of information via the LR2000 system and Geocommunicator. In addition to this many .kmz and .kml files can be obtained directly from the federal establishments that will assist the prospector.

Once I get the various layers sorted, and have gotten approval from the various entities that regulate said land my ability to find resources, I feel, is greatly enhanced by these plugins.

MineCache
MineCache.com - Home - Gold Prospecting with Google Earth

PLSS (shows BLM Land divisions in Google Earth, useful for drilling down to what township, range, and section someone's claim is on)
PLSS (MapServer)

SMA (BLM who owns what land plugin)
SMA (MapServer)

California Geological data (website contains both map and plugins if you dig, other states too)
California geology

MRDS mineral location historical data
Select data by geographic area: United States (North America)

Using MineCache data to locate potential active claims, I can then verify the land ownership using the PLSS and SMA plugins as well as find detailed data (hopefully) using the MRDS info and/or the geological data to determine the viability of visiting said location by the information available to me in my man-cave.

Between these layers, I have found my recon missions to find where the minerals are to be greatly aided by the digital components. Hope this provides some light on the subject at hand ^_^

~The Pyrite Kid

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jed - you have provided a gold mine of info all in one post! Suggest you clarify the title a bit, and ask moderator for a "sticky". well done :notworthy:

sidvail

Jan 11, 2013
Cottonwood, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree. I've been using Google Earth for years and am always amazed at what it can do. Your links give me even more resources. Thank you.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I already used some of those but thanks for adding some more layers to my arsenal!! Google earth and its layers are priceless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread