Anyone know a good area at Lynx Creek, AZ that you are allowed to use a sluice?

Keithray

Jun 18, 2013
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Easy tip for Lynx Creek (and a lot of other places) ...walk further from the parking lot to find better gold. Simple as that.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy tip for Lynx Creek (and a lot of other places) ...walk further from the parking lot to find better gold. Simple as that.
He's asking where to sluice, not just where to find gold. Much of lynx is pan only.

[edit]
I'm new to gold prospecting and just went on my first prospecting trip with my wife and kids and panned for gold at Lynx Creek for a few days. We found a little gold but I would really like to use my sluice for better results. Everywhere I looked it was either private property or there were signs saying you can only pan,:dontknow:
http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?showtopic=7994

This shows 'out of bounds'
http://www.azod.com/goldprospecting/Family%20Prospecting%20at%20Lynx%20Creek.htm

Arizona forum
http://www.arizonagoldprospectors.com/invision/index.php?/forum/2-gold-hunters-forum/

Last edited:

killian110

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
You would have to get permission to use private property or find someone to let you on their claim. Sluice boxes are banned in Lynx Creek in the public access areas. Even though information says Prescott National Forest allows panning, hand prospecting and metal detectors, below the high water mark. Prohibits any equipment that requires a generator or engine.
The creek was dry when I was there in Oct and did some panning in the few puddles that were left above the Lynx Lake Dam. Saw some people with a metal detector up near the little fire department doing some panning in water they brought from home. They were having a little luck. I only found a few flakes but had a great time. I had wanted to go there for years and finally marked it off my bucket list. I loved the Prescott Az area. It was a cool town to visit.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would have to get permission to use private property or find someone to let you on their claim. Sluice boxes are banned in Lynx Creek in the public access areas. Even though information says Prescott National Forest allows panning, hand prospecting and metal detectors, below the high water mark. Prohibits any equipment that requires a generator or engine.
The creek was dry when I was there in Oct and did some panning in the few puddles that were left above the Lynx Lake Dam. Saw some people with a metal detector up near the little fire department doing some panning in water they brought from home. They were having a little luck. I only found a few flakes but had a great time. I had wanted to go there for years and finally marked it off my bucket list. I loved the Prescott Az area. It was a cool town to visit.
Are you aware Prescott is burning right now?! It would be hard to use a sluice on the Lynx right now anyway as it is dry right now. Bring a big tub and some water and strain down to #8 and pan the cons right at creek-side. The Lynx is written as the best creek for gold in AZ. TTC

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watch the weather forecast. After it stops raining, you can put a sluice box in the water flow and feed it. You just can't have the sluice powered at all.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Sluices are not allowed on Lynx Creek. Powered or not.

**MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT AND MININNG AIDS INCLUDE: SLUICE BOXES, DRY WASHERS, GOLD SCREWS, GOLD BUGS, ROCKER BOXES, WHEEL BARROWS OR OTHER DEVICES, DESIGNED TO INCREASE PRODUCTION ABOVE THAT LEVEL OBTAINED WITH GOLD PANS AND HAND TOOLS.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aren't you allowed to use metal detectors below the high water mark?

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
No sluices allowed! None! Zilch! Zip!

Metal detectors, gold pans and hand tools are allowed.

Here's the Rules!

ALL PERSONS ARE PROHIBITED FROM MUTILATING, DEFACING, REMOVING, DISTURBING, INJURING OR DESTROYING ANY NATURAL FEATURE OR ANY PROPERTY OF THE UNITED STATES. (Title 36 cfr 261.9a)

.EXCEPT FOR GOLD PANS, METAL DETECTORS AND HANDTOOLS, SUCH AS PICKS AND SHOVELS, IT IS PROHIBITED TO USE ANY MOTORIZED OR MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT OR MINING AIDS USED FOR MINERAL EXTRACTION WITHIN THE BOUNDARIES OF THE WITHDRAWAL AREA, AS DEFINED ON THE ATTACHED MAP. (Title 36 cfr 261.53e&f)

VIOLATION OF THESE PROHIBITIONS IS PUNISHABLE BY A FINE OF NOT MORE THAN $500, OR IMPRISONMENT FOR NOT MORE THAN 6 MONTHS, OR BOTH.

**MOTORIZED EQUIPMENT INCLUDES: ANY EQUIPMENT HAVING OR USING AN ENGINE OR MOTOR

**MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT AND MININNG AIDS INCLUDE: SLUICE BOXES, DRY WASHERS, GOLD SCREWS, GOLD BUGS, ROCKER BOXES, WHEEL BARROWS OR OTHER DEVICES, DESIGNED TO INCREASE PRODUCTION ABOVE THAT LEVEL OBTAINED WITH GOLD PANS AND HAND TOOLS.

****Important Mining & Recreational Tips****

Pick/shovel excavations may only be done in conjunction with gold panning and metal detecting and must be made below the high water mark of the stream channel. All excavations must be filled in before leaving the area.

Do not cut trees, limbs or brush, do not dig up ground cover.

Pack out everything you brought into the area, especially trash.

Do not wash yourself or your dishes in Lynx Creek or any of its tributaries. All washwater is to be contained and disposed of, off of National Forest Land. Bury human waste 4 to 6 inches deep and at least 100 feet from the stream channel.

If a fire is necessary, build it safely, do not leave it unattended, extinguish it, and naturalize the area before leaving.

Camping is limited to a 14-day stay within a 30-day period.

Last edited:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Would be nice if you could use a sluice but rarely is there enough water flow for one.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread