One that almost got away !

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
whilst dry sniping nugget traps or drop zones, whatever you all placer miners call them.
this little bugger almost got left behind.

we were dry sniping the trapps the other day and I always tell the guys that when your digging these, don't just hit the gut !
always go off to each side no matter how deep you have to go, don't be lazy or some MD comes along and gets a good find off your hard work.

this is a typical mistake made by folks, and that's not cleaning out the nugg trapps side to side too absolute bottom of bedrock!!!
So I ask Jboy if he was done with the spot so I could do the final pick n sweep, I see once again he was only hittin the center, so I point out to him that the hot rocks are really built up off to the side.

Well I plow in with my hoedad and finish up the job, find a couple larger hot rocks impacted into a corner, I show the guys how the channel effected the flow of water and was throwing the heavys off to one side,I get down on bed rock, guess what was laying right under those black rocks.

I look over to Picks whos eyes are much better than mine and ask him is this a nugg? Then I give the speech just how important it is to finish off the hole. I would of most likely missed this one with the bleeper on my final cleanup , if we would of just done the gutt,

There was way to many hot rock on top of it for my gold bug to punch through, I work these with my bleeper when im done digging so I don't leave somethin behind. but I have to say truthfully I wouldnt of got this with my BUG, Without digging !!!!

Its very easy to walk away just doing half the work, when you are looking at a mile or so walk out at the end of the day.
So clean those cracks n trapps all the way out you never know whats hiding just out of bleeper reach!!!

That guy was laying right in that little v in the bedrock, yep this was a spy crumb, found with my eye!......

View attachment 817598 View attachment 817600 View attachment 817601

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story, goldtramp - one that all noobs should remember. Very nice little nugget too!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold_01.gif
Real nice find gold tramp.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Smart miners always make the bedrock.....John

Here in the desert its bedrock or nothing!!

Its almost always on bedrock in my final sweepings.

The over burden is good for a few micro pieces of crystalline gold, but your right bedrock is where the real gold is....................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread