Found this in +/-4 gallons of dirt

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay. I've made four trip to this hole and pulled out about 120 gallons of dirt. This includes my last trip. The first couple pics is what I pulled from 4 gallons of last trip with another 20 gals to go. The pic with more gold in it, is a total of what I've done not including the pic from 4 gals. No big nuggets, but for the most part this is the Arizona gold. Lol. I sure enjoy this hobby. One of these days I'll weigh this for a total. Could be after this dig or maybe by years end. I think this amount at least pays for the gas.

So here's a question: Would you keep digging this hole? Or would you keep searching for a higher producer? Does anyone have an idea of the total so far?

Attachments

• image-98051984.jpg
    image-98051984.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 209
  • image-2453556909.jpg
    image-2453556909.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 220
  • image-1066477180.jpg
    image-1066477180.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 229
Upvote 0

4reale

Jul 29, 2008
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 20
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Third pic has the most gold flakes, i.e., keep digging there until it dries out to what you found in the previous 2 pics, which still contain gold. Looks like Placer gold to me, so the source could be anywhere. 120 gallons of dirt is nothing, in mining terms, but you may have stumbled upon an area where there might be something attractive to Freeport Mc Mahon, in which case, buy a claim and have what you found assayed, and call a good lawyer.
If you've found it, and claimed it with a free title without getting killed in the process, congratulations - you're a millionaire. Enjoy it while you can - life is way too short.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not sure about the weight it looks like a pennyweight or more I can't tell how thick it is in cup very well, I would move to a diff location you can always go back, plus if your having fun either way couldn't hurt to test some other spots. Thanks for posting.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Figuring it out

Hey there GarretDiggingAz,
The spot has gold though not much, IMO. I suggest you step back away from the location some distance to allow you to see the entire general area. Try to get a feel for dips in the ground, maybe you can pick out a channel or something that might have fed the gold to your spot. The idea here is to try to come up with a feeling of how the gold was laid down and if there could be a better location nearby. Gold that fine could be float gold, borne by water or the wind, but for whatever reason it is there and you want to know where it came from. In that area have you noticed the wind blowing in the same direction often? If there was a near by hill and if the wind tends to blow in one direction more often it might be blowing the gold dust from that hill?? Just guessing here but also trying to help.

I wish you luck and hope you figure out what put the gold there..............................63bkpkr

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good gold! Take notes. Honest notes with honest weighing. Then compare. The hardest part about comparing is to "walk away" from a producing area to try another. But the notes don't lie! The simple truth is .... the amount of gold gotten usually correlates with the amount of sweat expended! Nice. Go get more, my friend. TTC

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm planning on going back. Just ran another 5 gallons last night. Definitely getting bigger pieces. Got about 5 good flakes plus some fly poops. Lol. Still didn't finish those cons. Got late and misses wanted me inside. Lol

Herb
The history on this spot is that in the 30s they bulldozed this area to get to the nuggets. So we're hitting what was pushed.

My kids dug in a spot that I didn't want them to. It's the wash behind my hill. Though I've always been curious what was back there. That dirt will be done later this week. Not expecting much, but you never know what Mother Nature will do. Lol

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Got a scale the other day on e-bay for 10.50. Wohoo. Winner winner chicken dinner.
Unfortunately, it still hasn't measured an ounce yet. Lol.

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Gold Garret..... especially to get out there in this heat. Imagine your using a drywasher?
Your Avatar looks like four peaks (I used to live in AJ)Mines of the Superstitions taken from Goldfields Saloon
Keep the pics coming.
Joe

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah it's four peaks. Drive by it weekly but havent been up there in years. Lol

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I couldn't imagine using a drywasher. That dust would kill me. Though I do get some while digging my hole. Lol

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I just put my avatar in not realizing i didn't have one on this site....we are now living in the new river/anthem area and i work the abbey claims in black canyon city and sometimes run out to morristown/LSD area

I just picked up a keene12 volt puffer and it's not too bad..... just too hot for me out there LOL

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just put my avatar in not realizing i didn't have one on this site....we are now living in the new river/anthem area and i work the abbey claims in black canyon city and sometimes run out to morristown/LSD area

I just picked up a keene12 volt puffer and it's not too bad..... just too hot for me out there LOL

Lets go do an early morning/night dig.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations! I would dig for that. All day long. I love getting out with the dry washer. There was one time in the Goldfield Mountains outside Apache Junction when I was working the dry washer and my hole kept filling in with water. I told myself to start emptying buckets of water out of the hole and in no time I would have a dry hole. 70 five gallon buckets of water later and my hole was still full of water. I filled the dirt back in and made a mental note to come back and work it with a rocker or sluice. The thing is that when you look up and down the wash, it looks just like any other dry wash, but after my dig, I am thinking there is a small pool under all that dirt but you cannot tell it on the surface. This is about a half mile downstream from Government Well.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL.... Sounds like Government Well was leaking just like the real government is.

Garret.... Check your PMs.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Golden

Checked and sent ya a message. Keep in touch.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. I finally finished the dirt from last dig. So now I'm heading up to Yarnell/Stanton again today. Got a late start. Body aches kept me down. Then the gold started calling me. When I get back I'll give a pic of what I got from 34 gallons of dirt. Still got my material from the wash where my kids dug trip prior. Plus a 5 gallon of area my buddy dug. Saving this dirt for him.
It seems when I dig I barely scratch the surface. Lol. Compared to others whose holes are 6' dia. and 4 ' depth. And that's one outing. I'll get a pic posted of my hole before I started today and what it's like tomorrow. Slow going but I'm not a fast mover. Just a shaker. Lol

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a pic of my hole before digging.

Attachments

• image-3514911642.jpg
    image-3514911642.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 103

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Look at all the beautiful purple flowers! I wonder if you can detect the presence of gold from observing plants in an area?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread