63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, if a fella was bored what would he gravitate to in late June?

So, if the remnants of a tropical storm were overhead and getting thicker what then?

So, if he was in relatively good physical condition but still had a touch of surgery speaking to his nerve endings, the question is whether or not to go?

The tropical storm remnants might drop a lot of water in the mountains then again there is no way of knowing for certain what it will change if anything. The river is very low @ 81 cfs and prime for prospecting. A 24 hour storm, all depends on its severity. If it is severe then the last two miles of dirt road could be tricky as even dry they require 4 wheel drive and compound low.

Wait and see I suppose is the situation however "things" are ready to load up.

200_0086_r1.jpg This pack is almost 36" x 36" x 16" deep and when the final items go into it, it will weigh 75 lbs which, happens to be 10 lbs lighter than typical. On the outside to the left of the picture is a 'virgin' Super Mini Bazooka Gold Trap, behind it is a minimalist air mattress. To the center of the pack is a light blue object/denim sack with my BatPan in it, the orange item is my SPOT messenger that went through a "test" send today and it passed superbly. On the right is a one man tent and behind it a foam pad. The GMT is in the pack along with all sorts of other 'necessary' items including food for 14 days and a full roll of toilet paper (no dry oak leaf rub on this trip!)

200_0085_r1.jpg Same pack with a few more external items like my knee brace and my hiking boots and the long dark stick to the far right of the picture is my 6' 2" hiking staff with a mountain bike handle bar grip glued to the top of it.

200_0087.JPG Ok, the front metal item is my insurance policy I carry with me, always! The two little fellas in the background are my erstwhile backpacking buddies that I've not been able to take with me for several years. I thought I would be able to bring them this time but not so as my weight limit has been reached, sorry Woof & Intrepid!

200_0089.JPG And this is the other item I had really wanted to bring with me on this special trip (if it happens) but alas it is a heavy though wonderful movie camera and so it must also remain behind. The guys and the camera are a real bummer to leave behind.

So these are the musings of a bored backpacking/prospecting junkie. So, if you'd wanted to get out in the hills late this week/early next week but will not be able to you are not alone, I feel your loss of enjoyment...............................63bkpkr

Oh, there is also the secondary gear pack that will come as far as the vehicle goes. It will sit there in case it is determined it is a must to bring in. Of course that will require a hike out and a hike back in with a pack that is just a bit heavier than the one pictured above. Such are the choices of a prospector, and people think we are a lazy bunch, shame on them!

Addendum:

And here is the gear bag on the freighter frame.
200_0091.JPG

Contents of the gear bag.
200_0090.JPG And the magic number for the gear bag pack is only 58 lbs and I'm surprised at that as I sure thought it was heavier than the main pack. But the last time I carried the gear pack I just strapped it onto the main pack (it was a lighter main pack) and the load together was strenuous.

Just fun and games!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Relax Herb, you know the answer. It comes from decades of experience, doing the things you do, with the odds as much in your favor as possible, so you can do it all again. You don't like the decision and I feel your pain. 3 more days and all will be well:thumbsup:
Ps, so you'll be totally off the grid for the entire time? Don't make us come after you:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Jeff! My problem is me, the little boy inside me wants it right now. :laughing9:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb I dont think it would hurt to trade out the detector for the camera just this once....really I find a lot of gold and 99.9% without a detector.....think about it.......getting to film your campsite for us and the color you find....what if this time you dont bring your camera and Sasquatch comes by...or a tree falling in the woods without a sound???? Herb think of the possibilities.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb, - Have you or other guys tried the hand-held tree saw? (the kind with saw teeth and folds up into the handle) for sniping down in those deep cracks.
Oops, you're maxxed out on weight again - never mind!! The little kid may need a firm hand from the adult this time - "aww dad, you're never any fun!"

ckd315

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
NW Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd definitely leave the metal detector and carry a camera, a much smaller one, and instead of a hatchet and the cable cutters, a sharp Collins machete. (I'd almost take that over your sidearm as the sound of that pinging steel definitely makes most critters nervous)

Last edited:
OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb I dont think it would hurt to trade out the detector for the camera just this once....really I find a lot of gold and 99.9% without a detector.....think about it.......getting to film your campsite for us and the color you find....what if this time you dont bring your camera and Sasquatch comes by...or a tree falling in the woods without a sound???? Herb think of the possibilities.

Hi Pville, thank you for the thought! I've some serious plans for the detector and the digital still camera takes simple movies of much less quality. It is possible that this will be a multiple trip location and therefore equipment will be left behind easing the weight requirements for the next trip to allow the Good movie camera to come. It still pains me to leave it this time but that is what i must do. This location has high potential so I want to make the best use of my time.............................63bkpkr

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Herb, - Have you or other guys tried the hand-held tree saw? (the kind with saw teeth and folds up into the handle) for sniping down in those deep cracks.
Oops, you're maxxed out on weight again - never mind!! The little kid may need a firm hand from the adult this time - "aww dad, you're never any fun!"

Hi Fullpan, over the 'decades' I've carried a large variety of saws (and lopping shears) and finally settled on the Fiskars saw's that slide into the handle for general cutting up to 6" if I have to. I'd not considered them for probing cracks for nuggets but I can see the sense of it, thin with gripping tips. So, it is part of the 75 lb weight already and freshly oiled to dispel sap of any type. It is small enough for a variety of uses and it cuts on the pull not the push, me like! About $10 or that's about what I paid for it a few years back, I've never noticed replacement blades though...........................63bkpkr

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd definitely leave the metal detector and carry a camera, a much smaller one, and instead of a hatchet and the cable cutters, a sharp Collins machete. (I'd almost take that over your sidearm as the sound of that pinging steel definitely makes most critters nervous)

Hello ckd315, and only a tiny bit late welcome to Tnet! The gear bag ONLY comes in if I really need to move boulders and then it is worth the round trip hike. I've looked long and hard at the new HD cameras and have noticed the makers have really pulled back on what they are offering this year so I decided to bring in the 3CCD Canon with E glass lens, the super microphone, remote control and on and on with features. Then I hit my weight limit and left it out. The movies would have been beautiful!!

Oh that orange handled beauty is not a cable cutter that is a lopping shear and is worth its weight in gold for all the cutting it will do with just a simple resharpening every other year. I've owned/used it for many years and it does not wear out. The hatchet could be left out but makes for a dual purpose heavy hammer. I've tried machete's but manzanita cuts much better with the loppers or the Fiskars saw. The bears where I go are many, some are very big, quite a few are bad bears in that they have been taught to use human camps for food foraging, humans there or not. I've had Many run ins with them and several have been up close and personal. The .454 I carry now will pierce 3/8" steel plate however I've yet to have to shoot a bear as the noise of it is so loud they leave and do not come back. I have no desire to shoot a bear or any wild animal for that matter however, if it should come to me or it I will opt to save my life and equipment. I've had many camps destroyed by them, some while I've been near by, some have come in to camp while I'm there, I met one on a trail while I was carrying a bag of trout for My dinner most disquieting experience fortunately I startled it and it went the other way quickly. I hike some really remote areas with bears and I'm certain mountain lions in them so I carry the "big fellow" all the time. This year is my 50th year of hiking this canyon system, I just realized that, and I want to be able to hike it for another 20 years so the revolver will stay as part of the gear in that 75 lb weight value.

Now in your neck of the woods I think you still have some nasty snakes but no swamps, is that correct? I'd expect deer, cats of several types, some hogs, some bears and possibly some other critters that I am not aware of. Would you be good enough to share with us what your area is like out and away from the city. Do you use an air boat? Thanks much....................63bkpkr

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, my new spot is filling up with water and more gold, once again..I wait. Have you detected the back yard yet?

Well yes Jeff I have detected it a little with the XLT as I live in the city in an apartment complex that was built in the early 70's. Problem is east bay clay so the ground is hard as a rock and almost as hard as my head.

The weather system blowing through right now is likely to drop some moisture but possibly not in CC, the mountains yes. That assumes the weather guessers are even partially correct about the storms potential. I was outside a little bit ago and we've some patchy cloud sky's with stars showing, the next system is coming though and it is the one with all the water in it. You will be getting at your gold a little later this year unless the coastal mountains get more rain in the summer than inland.
I am all ready to go, except I must do some wire and sheetmetal work for a carrying device for a steel wrecking bar I have stored in the canyon. I need to move it a couple of miles and I want the pack frame to carry the load so I'm making a tiny sort of bucket that will hold it about a foot off the ground with the upper portion of the bar tied to the top of the pack frame.
Okay folks, time for this little boy to Try and get some sleep.......................63bkpkr

Oh My! your comment about the backyard just made me remember to bring the wireless earphones, they were with the XLT as it was used last. So another 8oz. to the weight of the pack.

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You live in the city!!? OMG, no wonder you're chomping @ the bit. Tell that little kid in there we're not there yet, but closer than we've been in a long time.
I checked Sacramento area for the quesscast on the weather. (those same idiots told me steady rain Mon morning and we cancelled a salmon trip Sun night...only to find perfect fishing conditions all Monday morning:BangHead: WHY do I listen to them?!!). Day 3 showed nothing but sun and 80's...a good day to let any excess water slip out of your way as you slip out the door.
Good luck, God speed and great gold found to you!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey 63! I love the idea of sharing "what's in my pack", reminds me of what we used to do with the Boy Scouts when I was an Asst Scout Master. I will do the same with my day pack,etc one of these days.

If you are down to saving ounces I would suggest skipping the denim sleeve on the Bazooka. It is cool but really not needed on the trip. I hope you experiment wi the BGT before heading out with it. They work great and are quite tolerant of different operating setup angles (unlike a riffle sluice!) but as always, practice makes perfect! You are going to love it!

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like your getting close Herb.

Hope you get to go soon,
me an the boys would gladly tote your heavy gear.
for an invite ?

The guys have only been to the forest 1 time when they were very young.
We were trying to get out here for a few, but funding is an issue.

Have a good time when you get there Herb !!!

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wonder where you might be headed? I hope you get lots of video..As I am very interested in your Travels/Adventures!!!I always admired men who had the will and resolve to endure the challenges that come with such an undertaking...Anyway be safe..

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the good wishes!

Hi Kevin, the denim sack is a "Needed" camp item, it is a part of my steel cable food bag system that keeps my food for me and not the bears. I put it around the SMBGT just to give the holding straps something to really hold onto, nice spot though. I am looking very forward to using it as well as "needing" to use it!

MM, I can not imagine stopping what I love to do and I do love being out there, sort of a Jeremiah Johnson thing though I'm no way as dinged up as he was towards the end of the movie. I was somewhat shocked yesterday when I realized I'd been backpacking this area for 50 years! The video this time will be somewhat crude as it will come from my little still camera but some trip I will find a way to take in the good camera as the movies from that tool are beautiful!

GT, being in the forest next to some form of flowing water versus being out in the hot burning sands and sage brush is an entirely different perspective and you and "the boys" must experience that adventure. I have lived in Phoenix twice and went out backpacking 'once' with my son and a buddy of his, we did find a "crik" to camp next to but the darn range cows came in and spoiled it for us, they taste good though especially around a camp fire with a baked potato for the first night. I understand about the funding issues as well. I've a buddy with a claim on a river in Calif., he might just smile at the opportunity to have a group of folks there and it is a much easier hike in than what I'm about to go on. I will ask.

Jeffie, one can never really trust the weather guessers as they can only do the best with what they have. Sorry about the spoiled fishing trip! I was born in Detroit MI but the folks kept us out at the lakes, streams, hunting and out doors as much as possible. When I moved to CA I really moved the out door experience to a new level of wonder and appreciation. I stay in the cities as my work requires that. Should I ever have the opportunity I want one more shot at starting another company Without a Partner! And if I have that opportunity I will have it built off to one side of my 120 acre parcel (do not have that either yet) in a fairly rural/small town location where I will hire and train the responsible high school students and teach them a profession as well as a way of life. I'd love to do that!! I only need maybe a 10" to 12" diameter ball of gold to bring that dream to fruition! Yes it is still a dream but only a dream away.

This morning weather and water conditions are looking good with only a few outlying locations receiving 1.25" of rain overnight. Today and tonight should see the heavy rains come in and hopefully they will taper off as Tuesday slides into midnight with Wednesday being only partly cloudy, good hiking in cloudy weather. Then it is supposed to get Hot out here!
We will see.......................63bkpkr

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Only the very young and the very old (like you and I) get to carry stuffed animals/toys with us and not get stares! Such a conundrum you have, Herb! TTC

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True but Terry, I am not old yet only 69+ headed for 70 next April. When will I get old?????? Till then I plan on staying in shape, getting well, eating right and getting out ASAP!

The Recon Vehicle is on the launch pad, fueled, checked out and ready for launch. No stuffed dogs or tiny bears This Trip and early Wed. 06/26 the launch pad alarm will sound. IF the conditions are looking optimal then by 2:45 AM the RV will be headed skyward and Outa Here!...........................63bkpkr

Updates will follow, over and out!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To infinity and beyond!

...love it! (Got out for 45 min on a local creek with a friend today...even one lick on the ice cream cone is delicious but you are getting the whole carton 63!!)

ckd315

Greenie
Sep 13, 2011
NW Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck on your expedition 63 bkpkr, and you're 100% right about camping in a spot with big trees and a cool flowing stream/creek/river... I'll be heading out a day after you to N. Ala. and on to N. Ga. for my own expedition, though I'd much rather be in your part of the country...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread