All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
144, You know you won't find much in PA, right? Don't get discouraged if you don't see any color for awhile. Just keep at it. If you are indeed 100% new, get some lead shot and practice panning. Maybe buy some paydirt to practice. Pan into another pan so you can re-do the same cons over and over again. Go to a garden shop and buy one of those black "tubs" they call "soil mixers" or something... the idea being, save the concentrates to pan more than once. TTC

OP
OP
K

keeptheedge144

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why is there so little in pa? I looked on maps and stuff and it has the right bedrock and lays in the right spots i thought. I actually did get some paydirt to practice with. I went twice and thought i had some but i couldnt tell because they where so small.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi 144 and welcome to the fever.
The reason Pa doesn't have much for gold is that it is all glacial gold brought down from Canada. Pa has no load deposits (gold locked in veins) that can be eroded out, like many western states have. Like Terry C said get some paydirt and practice panning. See if there is a club near you to join. They will have places to go and will help with the learning curve. Go through these forums and read every thing you can find that will help you answer any of your questions. There is a wealth of info in here and everyone is very helpful.
The gold you will find in Pa will be very small. If you find anything of size it will be extreamly rare. Here are some contacts in Pa for the GPAA. They are a good start for you as far as clubs go. Pick the one near you.

David Buzzard, Bethleham PA, 610-431-4693
Sean McGarry, Greenville PA, 330-793-5357
Gale Livelsberger, New Oxfors PA, 717-817-7569
Robert Seager, Port Matida PA, 717-935-5384

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
why is there so little in pa? I looked on maps and stuff and it has the right bedrock and lays in the right spots i thought. I actually did get some paydirt to practice with. I went twice and thought i had some but i couldnt tell because they where so small.
Gold is basically a product of seismic activity and hydrothermal vents. You need the metals "in solution" and "faults" to hold it. The western states have (or had) an abundance of both at one time or another. That is why they have the gold. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you bought paydirt, you better have some in there! They are selling you gold.... not dirt. TTC

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The usual deal on pay dirt is to give you gold equal to about 50% of the price you pay...that is fair, less is a rip off. Maybe find a more experienced Panner to help you with it?

chris rizin

May 6, 2013
Fair Oaks CA
Detector(s) used
brand new in the box hunk of junk discriminator 11 i got for twenty bucks!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good info above! I can get the info of a mining store here in sacramento that is very fair in paydirt cost and amount of gold in each bag.

I paid 30$ for two bags and after panning and drying I figured from scale weight it only cost very close to 7$. Lots if flakes, a little bit of fines and a couple pickers in the two bags..

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of good info above! I can get the info of a mining store here in sacramento that is very fair in paydirt cost and amount of gold in each bag.

I paid 30$ for two bags and after panning and drying I figured from scale weight it only cost very close to 7$. Lots if flakes, a little bit of fines and a couple pickers in the two bags..

So 25% gold value? Sounds right for retail. Mail order should do better...about 50% as I said before although many will give you less...

chris rizin

May 6, 2013
Fair Oaks CA
Detector(s) used
brand new in the box hunk of junk discriminator 11 i got for twenty bucks!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So 25% gold value? Sounds right for retail. Mail order should do better...about 50% as I said before although many will give you less...

That just doesn't sound right.. I paid 30, retrieved 23$ worth of gold by weight.. So I lost 7$ in the grand scheme of things.. Is that still 25%? Not good with calculating percentages.. Either way its quality gold and consistent when I break down and buy a bag after not getting out and digging on my own..

Though.... If I add up the cost of gear, gas, food and labor etc. it almost seems these bags are paying off better lately! Lol.. I fail.. :) have fun

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Oh I just read your post the other way. You did great at about 75% gold value!! Congrats

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Though.... If I add up the cost of gear, gas, food and labor etc. it almost seems these bags are paying off better lately! Lol.. I fail.. have fun"

You are very wise for a rookie...most of us take years to learn that...if ever!:laughing7:

Welcome to the forum btw

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is by far cheaper to buy cons than to pan out of the stream.... if from the East. If you live in the gold country, you can break even if you try hard. TTC

OP
OP
K

keeptheedge144

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you all for your answers. I actually went for the heck of it this weekend in pa and the stream I was in a did find some gold. But its all super small and hard to get out even with tweezers. Is there any way to retrieve this super small gold flakes? And also the paydirt I got did have a nice amount of gold in it deff worth the money.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you all for your answers. I actually went for the heck of it this weekend in pa and the stream I was in a did find some gold. But its all super small and hard to get out even with tweezers. Is there any way to retrieve this super small gold flakes? And also the paydirt I got did have a nice amount of gold in it deff worth the money.
Snuffer bottle

OP
OP
K

keeptheedge144

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one but I need to remove the sand from the tiny pieces. how do I do that? Ive tried a few diff methods and cant get it

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have one but I need to remove the sand from the tiny pieces. how do I do that? Ive tried a few diff methods and cant get it

I put that last bit of sand and gold dust in a ceramic soap dish with some water and swirl it to do the final separation...works great. Got the green soap dish at Walmart for less than $2!

OP
OP
K

keeptheedge144

Tenderfoot
Jun 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how does that make it separate? Like I said im new and any tips of the trade help. Thank you!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
how does that make it separate? Like I said im new and any tips of the trade help. Thank you!

Differences in specific gravity lead to the different materials moving differently when swirled in a soap dish full of water (not too full, don't want to spill it all over).

Use a magnet to remove any iron sand first as that makes separation easier too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread