Serpentine nuggs

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have run out of my supply of river worn serpentine,
and was wondering if someone working up around the streams would be interested in picking up a few pounds of some walnut to thumbnail sized, solid pieces.

I would trade some crystalls or some hard rock ore for some.

I polish and make beads out of the stuff, for my desert hiking stiks....

Thanks Herb......

Upvote 0

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't have serpentine, but got nearly everything else lol. Got any alternate lists?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb, do you make these to sell?

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Not sure what serpentine nugs are but my wife and I got some nice pieces of serpentine on a field trip up highway 70 for her geology class. I'll take some pics when the sun comes up see if it meets your needs I can get more.
OBD

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heres a pic of some in the pan, they are found in the streams in nor cal, you might pitch them out of your or classifier, and are almost jade like in appearance, California Jade.

they carve easly and take a fine polish, I think I got my last ones up in the Quincy area?
any where the river cuts through the serpentine, you can find them they make very nice beads.

Dizzy, still trying to get my lapidary shop finished Big $$$$ for equip, for me that is. just got hoods and drain pans left to get and im ready to start making $$$ I hope.

FP. I bet id have a hay day with rocks you have , when you talk about places like Tonopah, I know about the rocks out in this part NV. Did you ever have a chance to get out to Rawhide ? heard the military got it now, as a kid I went there and the only building left was the ole jail, still had the strap iron cages complete with bed..

we were there collecting crystals long before we had gotten the Gold bug BUMMER big gold came from here I heard !!!!!

tyring to get my desert hiking stik to sell, its just slow.
I make them from the Yucca plant and hang rocks n crystals on them, you would have to see one to appreciate. ( Hippie Stuff ) heres a couple pics of my hiking stiks with crystalls

It would be nice to get some more serpentine as the beads really look sharp on my stiks, and alone.

OBD. you can cut n polish that serpentine it very easy to work.

thanks for the intrest .........

View attachment 820163 View attachment 820165

oldbrundogg

Sep 22, 2012
Oroville
Detector(s) used
99.00 something or other from big 5
Here is couple pics of what we picked up. My wife corrected me, what we have is serpentinite she said what most call serpentine has more green in it. These were not river worn just picked up off the side of the highway shh . Hope you find what you're looking for the sticks look cool and useful.
OBD

Attachments

• image-1006010650.jpg
    image-1006010650.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 143
  • image-912903478.jpg
    image-912903478.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 128
  • image-2117762533.jpg
    image-2117762533.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 139

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBD - that's the stuff.

GT - been almost ten years now since Rawhide. We were heading to Eagleville (about 20 miles east). Just stopped to look at massive pits, which took out
most of town. Heard there's good placer downslope of pits - never tested it. Beautiful stiks, Herb - had one of Ocotillo for several years, nice and light, but
finally snapped on me.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can get pounds of it Gold Tramp..i will get some for you do you want smaller pieces or pieces like OBD has in his pics?

geodesic9

Greenie
Mar 21, 2011
Garden Valley, CA (Produce Garden of the 49er's)
Detector(s) used
GB 2
I can get pounds of it Gold Tramp..i will get some for you do you want smaller pieces or pieces like OBD has in his pics?

Plenty of it on the side of the road in Garden Valley, Ca as pvillehunter mentioned. Large vein. Also, look up the Stifle Claim/Traverse Creek Area

I'm sure you already know the hazards of some serpentine dust? The local stuff here has been part of a Super Fund clean up when used for roadways.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reread O.P. you want smaller water worn as Geodesic said I know just the place I will collect some this week....Nice to see your still lurking Geo..I'll give you a call this week.. Will stop by for a chat.

OP
OP
G

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks what i actually need is the stuff that has been water worn, they are already rounded and shaped.
i have a bunch of chunks still, but need the stuff like in the pans,

The gravel bars with the mid grade heavys are a good spot to look for them, if you could help me out it would be great.
They are half polished and are easy to spot when wet.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it I Know a creek full of it. I will get you some choice pieces on Monday. I will P.M. you for shipping details once I have the stones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread