Gpaa "lost dredge" claim in EDC/PiPi Valley/C14

sactosluicer

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my buddy is a memeber of gpaa, and we went on a adventure looking for new places around his property, and he came up with the Lost Dredge claim on page C14 of the older book.

We found it with little trouble, and it was really cool with all the exposed bedrock and everything, doesnt look like theres been a ton of recent activity but there are a few holes in the banks.

We were exploring, and found a huge old abandoned trommel which led us to a mineshaft opening above it which was caved in.

I believe the equipment was all rivetted, but I cant be sure.

Was just wondering if anybody knew any history about this mine, because from the wood and shacks and metal it all looked to be from probably the '30s.

They must have found something there to go thru the trouble of hauling that huge trommel down there and across the creek, even in pieces it would be a big job.

We are really curious as to any background anybody knows about the claim and mine

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sactosluicer

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
should be ok now, but it is editing for stillness for a few more mins.
I just put it up...

I did change the private to public tho...

Disclaimer: I dont recommend anybody to go inside an abandoned mine... and also, I don know if any of my insights or ideas on who/what/when are correct or not, they are my ideas..

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting to say the least! While I am sure that you are re-thinking about ever going into the mine shaft again, did the thought cross your mind that someone was buried or trapped in the mine due to the cave-in? Most folks would never abandon such a nice, well built trommel, no matter how hard it is to get in and get out, so maybe they were no longer of this earth to get it back out.

Frank

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PM with the county its in, see if I can find the claim on LR2000 or tidbits of info. Lots of effort on somebody's part, pretty interesting.

johnnysau

Found the claim seems the GPAA has been paying the dues for awhile, seems like its its UNPRODUCTIVE AREA to me and my research
ashamed that the money resources could not be better spent, in PURE Mother lode areas, if I were a member I would bring this to some ones attention.

johnnysau

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felt like I was watching the "The Blair Mine Project" :tongue3:

GG~

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definately not an "unproductive" area.....just not that well known and a bit remote yet accessable.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Your nuts going in there IMO. Loved the video but your nuts, lol. I agree, I think the owner of that Trommel is still behind that cave in. No one leaves a $$$ Trommel lying around to rust. Not one that looks as nice as that.

Did u find any gold near or there? I know that area. By grizzly flats.. Very nice area, and def gold there.

All the best
Mellow Y

OP
OP
S

sactosluicer

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
definately not an "unproductive" area.....just not that well known and a bit remote yet accessable.
Yeah i havent done much actual prospecting in the area yet, but it looks real "goldy", as I say, and there are signs of mining activity both old and new everywhere. Found more good spots on other creeks as we drove from the mine to deeper in the forest....

Very interesting to say the least! While I am sure that you are re-thinking about ever going into the mine shaft again, did the thought cross your mind that someone was buried or trapped in the mine due to the cave-in? Most folks would never abandon such a nice, well built trommel, no matter how hard it is to get in and get out, so maybe they were no longer of this earth to get it back out.

Frank
Frank, that thought actually did not cross my mind at any point, and I plan to go back in there with a flood light and a bucket, Ill grab some material from that impassable cave-in.
I can not explain why that trommel was abandoned there, but Im sure if a miner died in that hole they would have dug him out and blasted that place to kingdom come.

never in a million years would i go into that portential death trap! unshored rocks/roof/sides,bad air,bad karma!
I dunno man, thats just the difference between you and I, i guess.
Im a firm believer in kharma, and i felt no bad vibes about that place, quite the contrary- I was almost drawn to it, I When we originally found it, I picked the place and page from my buddies gpaa book, I said "stop the truck here", I looked in the right spot to see that trommel, and then I hiked up found the tril that led me straight to that mine...
As far as the air being bad- there was a noticeable "breeze" of cool air at the entrance, so there is a vent somewhere farther back, i edited the video alot for length and ommitted the part where I could see a crawl-way over the cave-in, so either a person or an animal has gone past there, theo I did not see any climb marks on the cave-in pile, but there is lots of water getting in there and eroding the pile.

Anyways, I had fun doing it, Ill go back when there is water in the creek, and Ill do some prospecting around the area. I hiked up and over where the mine goes to, and there is track and lots of old activity all over the hillside. Nobody would go thru all thats there if they werent finding anything.

Last edited:

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No that will be he grave as it will be yours if there is a cave in with you in it. They won't spend the money and man power to try to get you out and will assume you were dead from the cave in. It would have been cool with a better light but would not push my luck in that old mine. You have already seen 2 cave ins already, the supports are gone. Better to stay out and stay alive.

OP
OP
S

sactosluicer

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So look, Im not gonna let this become an argument about whether or not I should go in to that mine.

I live my life as I please, I have no kids, no wife, only my dogs that rely on me to come home, Im not afraid and we all have to die at some point :)

BTW- that mine is NOT the sketchiest place Ive ever been, by a long shot...

okla. prospector

Jun 11, 2013
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize if my first comments came out wrong. I was just saying its very dangerous in old mines and if trapped in it I don't think they would send a rescue party because of the conditions. If you do go back, man just be careful.

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
So look, Im not gonna let this become an argument about whether or not I should go in to that mine.

I live my life as I please, I have no kids, no wife, only my dogs that rely on me to come home, Im not afraid and we all have to die at some point :)

BTW- that mine is NOT the sketchiest place Ive ever been, by a long shot...

Sacto... Handle your biz brother. Cool story, you and your dog... Much props to you for "being free" and having the juevos to go into mines like that. I'm sure you know what your doing. You have a good attitude.

Hell I wouldn't go into most old mines!... Yet I run into burning buildings for a living. So who's crazy and who's not.. :) :)

Get us some good vid, good gold, and always use risk vs reward like I do..

Peace bro..

Mellow Yellow.

OP
OP
S

sactosluicer

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sorry if I came off as harsh, but I do get tired of hearing what a person cant do, as compared to what they can.
You have to be positive, right, now that you can do do something...

When I was in that mine, I was quiet as a mouse, you could hear me speaking softly, see me touch nothing, I even left in a part where I flat out said I was nervous.
But its a good nevous, I think they call it a rush.

Heres a fun fact: Im scared to death of flying, and theres not a chance in he77 Id ever do something like go skydiving... but I know lots of people that would take jumping out of a plan over going into a mine- we all have our kicks.

I can feel a draft of cool air at the entrance hole, so I know there is another opening somewhere.
When we first found the mine, we hiked all over where we thought it went, and there are lots of signs of old digs up there with old cart tracks everywhere.
However, after going all the way in, i found that the mine turned and headed off in a different direction from where we were looking for a vent or other entrance.

Id be willing to bet that there is a passage over the top of the cave-in pile, however climbing over that would be stupid for sure.
As far as somebody being buried behind the cave-in... I dont think so.
Altho who really knows, there could be a miner from the 1800s just on the other side of that pile, with a leather bag full of nuggets...

My original intention with this thread was to try to find some information about the place, because there seems to mining activity from all the big mining periods of history- 1800s, 1930s, on up to present day, there is the bullet-riddled shell of a 40s roadster half buried in the ground nearby as well...

I mean, how do i find out the history of this place?
Johnnysau has helped find some info, but even I have found the trail ends in the very recent past.

All i know is that more than a few people put a lot of work into the place over the last 150 yrs, but there everything sits- abandoned.

The scrap value of the trommel alone is a tweakers wet dream, why is it still there???
Oh wait, maybe Todd from Goldrush decided to have that trommel brought out there....

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you take a GPS reading of the mine's location, you can look it
up on the LR2000 system and find out what they show as it's history.
Odds are the claim is abandoned at this point, but you never know
till you check.

I also have the "Don't ever tell me I'm not able to do something"
attitude, but not when it comes to matters of losing my life if I screw
up. That attitude did serve me well when the doc's said I wouldn't be
able to walk on uneven terrain without falling, and although it took me
years of effort (and a bunch of bruises), but I'm now able to walk along
a boulder strewn creek bank, or even in the creek.

In this particular case, folks with decades of hard rock mining experience
are politely trying to politely tell you that, in their opinion based on seeing
the video, that to them the shaft looks like a long casket... waiting for the
permanent resident to arrive.

Another thing you might keep in mind is that rattlers often den up in
the back of those old claims, or a poopload of 'em could be staying
out of the heat...they're not too friendly when people poach their
turf, and I'd sure hate to run into a few when crawling on my belly,
and no room to move around or avoid them.
hawkeye.gif

Last edited:

johnnysau

Apr 23, 2012
Reno NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sactosluicer, I could copy the LR2000 info down and send it to you for that location, Township - range - section, there are about 20 names in association with that area
some go back as far as the mid 80's, maybe you could track down some phone numbers associated with names, calling for further info.
I do see one other OLDER placer claim from the same area named - SPREAD EAGLE MINE #1 -1949 - have no idea if its exactly the same, but does come the same
Township - range - section area.

johnnysau

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread