Gold in wisconsin

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
High Alex,
Haven't heard from you in awhile.Here are four names in Wisconsin to contact from the GPAA. Pick the closest one to where you are going and call them. Ronald Smith - Greenbush WI, 920-892-4092
Mike Flint - Tomah WI, 608-372-0694
Kurt Bublitz - Wausau WI, 715-340-2831
Tom Frank - Rice Lake , WI 715-579-7111

Have a nice trip Alex.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

USAFM6

Mar 7, 2014
Tyndall Air Force Base Florida / Iron River, WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari & Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Ashland County near Cayuga there is a history of gold mines that produced gold in the late 1800's. I've found color in almost every pan along the Bad River near Cayuga. I'm in Afghanistan until May and if anyone would like I'll take you onto my private property on the Bad River once I get home and you can find gold albeit very small flour gold. There are rooms for about $20 at the Cayuga Hotel & Saloon where you can stay and they have good food too. We're near Copper Falls State Park which is definitely worth seeing too. Lots of good fishing/hunting/ATV'ng too. Hit me up with a PM if anyone wants to come up & I'll go out with you to show you where to pan.

tvanwho

Jul 15, 2005
indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo ST, Whites MXT and TDi,Garrett AT Pro and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A topo map of mine shows a Gold Creek in Menominee County ,Wisconsin.Just accidentally spotted it . Watch out for the Indian reservation in that county. I can't vouch for the creek. There is a Nugget Lake county park I went to years ago in western Wisconsin, north of Lacrosse where you can pan and sluice for gold and camp overnite, no motors allowed, extremely fine color.

-Tom V.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alex, I'll re-post this here for you, as you're in an area where flour gold sounds likely. If you already know all of this, my apologies, and feel free to ignore it:

If you're after glacial (flour) gold, it gets deposited in a similar manner, regardless of the region.

Find a stream and look for gravel bars. Where you find rocks concentrated in the bar that are fist-sized and larger, dig some dirt and start to pan. Do a check on your local area to see what other heavies are running with your glacial gold: magnetite, hematite, garnets, etc. These super-heavies will be known as your indicator materials, in other words, they will run with the gold. So, when they start to show up in your pan, you'll either be close to the gold (just to the right, to the left, slightly above it, and so on) or right in the middle of it.

So, find out what the common super-heavies in your area are, as they are like bread crumbs for you to follow.

After you dig down around those fist-sized rocks, keep sampling as you go down. The gold should be concentrated in the upper six inches or so. There may be other pay layers, but glacial gold is so light that it gets shifted quite easily, and it's usually found near the surface. So, if you dig a hole to China, you'll very likely punch right through the pay, so sample very carefully as you dig down.

All the best as you go out to try and catch the fever,

Lanny

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

OP
OP
ProspectorALEX

ProspectorALEX

Apr 14, 2013
Clam Gulch, AK
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT E-series
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alex, I'll re-post this here for you, as you're in an area where flour gold sounds likely. If you already know all of this, my apologies, and feel free to ignore it:

If you're after glacial (flour) gold, it gets deposited in a similar manner, regardless of the region.

Find a stream and look for gravel bars. Where you find rocks concentrated in the bar that are fist-sized and larger, dig some dirt and start to pan. Do a check on your local area to see what other heavies are running with your glacial gold: magnetite, hematite, garnets, etc. These super-heavies will be known as your indicator materials, in other words, they will run with the gold. So, when they start to show up in your pan, you'll either be close to the gold (just to the right, to the left, slightly above it, and so on) or right in the middle of it.

So, find out what the common super-heavies in your area are, as they are like bread crumbs for you to follow.

After you dig down around those fist-sized rocks, keep sampling as you go down. The gold should be concentrated in the upper six inches or so. There may be other pay layers, but glacial gold is so light that it gets shifted quite easily, and it's usually found near the surface. So, if you dig a hole to China, you'll very likely punch right through the pay, so sample very carefully as you dig down.

All the best as you go out to try and catch the fever,

Lanny

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .

Thank you.

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in mn but I have a buddy that lives in Wisconsin that has a 4" dredge. he's always looking for places to use it...lol!!!!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Flambeau Mine was an open-pit copper-gold-silve
r mine located near Ladysmith, Wisconsin that was
permitted in January 1991 and began production in 1
993. It operated for four years, ceasing in 1997.
The
mine operated on the shores of the Flambeau River,
a popular recreation river and one that provides
habitat for a variety of aquatic and wildlife speci
es, including muskellunge, bald eagles and osprey.
Produced:

Metals
: 181,000 tons of copper, 334,000 ounces of gold an
d 3.3 million ounces of silver.

Waste rock
: Approximately 4.5 million tons of high sulfur wa
ste rock and 4 million tons of low
sulfur waste were generated and stockpiled on site
for eventual return to the pit.

The mining company has another place they want to mine located pretty close to the original mine but since all the pollution problems they have had they arent being allowed to mine it ...so there is gold in them there hills but you cant get to it
Heres a link to the cut they took out next to the river Flambeau Mine

Last edited:

LDamm

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2014
Oshkosh, WI
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Ashland County near Cayuga there is a history of gold mines that produced gold in the late 1800's. I've found color in almost every pan along the Bad River near Cayuga. I'm in Afghanistan until May and if anyone would like I'll take you onto my private property on the Bad River once I get home and you can find gold albeit very small flour gold. There are rooms for about $20 at the Cayuga Hotel & Saloon where you can stay and they have good food too. We're near Copper Falls State Park which is definitely worth seeing too. Lots of good fishing/hunting/ATV'ng too. Hit me up with a PM if anyone wants to come up & I'll go out with you to show you where to pan.

Good to hear that there's gold in the Bad. PM sent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread