Guyana South America

Stevovtx

Greenie
Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks,

Have any of you ever been to Guyana South America to do some prospecting or know someone who has? I have been floating a business idea around in my head regarding prospecting in this region and would like as much input as possible. If you have anything, both possitive or negative, regarding prospecting in this region it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Upvote 0

KONO

Jul 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Jungle Gold on the Discovery Channel; it's in Ghana West Africa, August 11, 2013. And then you will know what to do.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great place to die for gold that ain't worth squat. Be it in a pot by the
(:censored: Racist word ) or sushi by the insane (:censored:Racist word ) ya get to take your pick as the worst spot on the planet to mine-no cops-no protection-no law--no rules--strictly rule a gun and in the jungle bodies disappear in days-John

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S

Stevovtx

Greenie
Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds perfect to me :)

Great place to die for gold that ain't worth squat. Be it in a pot by the
(:censored: Racist word ) or sushi by the insane (:censored:Racist word ) ya get to take your pick as the worst spot on the planet to mine-no cops-no protection-no law--no rules--strictly rule a gun and in the jungle bodies disappear in days-John

OP
OP
S

Stevovtx

Greenie
Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be looking to form several teams to use 8 to 12 4 or 5" dredges and split the take. Once acclimated to the local kaos, maybe purchase a claim and hydro wash to large sluice. Your thoughts?

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Haha I kinda figured, never heard of anyone going there to mine. I guess its one of those places where the population fluctuates with the number of tourists tied to trees awaiting ransom money.

OP
OP
S

Stevovtx

Greenie
Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And no mercury clean outs! Shacker tables only...

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would be looking to form several teams to use 8 to 12 4 or 5" dredges and split the take. Once acclimated to the local kaos, maybe purchase a claim and hydro wash to large sluice. Your thoughts?

Seems like it would be better to test the area first before shipping a bunch of dredges there. Also from what John said it sounds dangerous so I would pick a country with a stable govt and a safer reputation. Also why dredge a lake is there specific research that makes you think you need 8-12 dredges in a lake?

OP
OP
S

Stevovtx

Greenie
Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dredging would be in the creeks, steams, and rivers. The thoughts of 8 to 12 dredges to start boils down to a 2 to 2.5 grams of gold per dredge per day, if not more per day. I really wouldn't be afraid of the local holigans... My crew would be heavily armed and prepared. Not to mention, year round dredging and gold rich environment.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well it seems you have increased the economy of scale to make the numbers work but they don't I can assure you. Assume you just have one dredge for a second you get $100 worth of gold a day by your estimates and have to pay your security, workers and other expenses, it wouldn't be feasible to try and set up more dredges. I would research better deposits first. It would be better investment to buy a washplant setup dozers etc than to try to run 8-12 dredging teams in my opinion.

taternut

Apr 12, 2013
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Hand sluice, Gold bug pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watch jungle gold on discovery. It's not a pretty place, even when you're armed. Plus I know I wouldn't want to be diving in those waters with the fish that are in there. They don't seem very inviting ;)

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Hey steve, the gold rush in africa is no joke, it is anarchy on many levels. In jungle gold you don't see the support team they have. They are not a group of bad ass people doing it their way in the jungle. They are well funded and protected individuals who go there to show a real gold rush. I love your idea tho. Im currently working on a semi industrial idea. If ur serious please PM me and we can roll around ideas. Africa is just not the right place. There are RIGHT places tho. Places you dont have to worry about reclamation costs. Places that there are way fewer people.

OP
OP
S

Stevovtx

Greenie
Jul 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to get me some dredges and some porknockers

AZADAM

Jun 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dredging would be in the creeks, steams, and rivers. The thoughts of 8 to 12 dredges to start boils down to a 2 to 2.5 grams of gold per dredge per day, if not more per day. I really wouldn't be afraid of the local holigans... My crew would be heavily armed and prepared. Not to mention, year round dredging and gold rich environment.

Dude , you would go through all that mess for 2 to 2.5 grams a day??? I could do better dredging the CAP canal right here in Arizona !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread