Exploring Summit County CO

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got out exploring today and got both a couple 3 gallon samples to run from a bench deposit and a couple photos. I will report on the gold after I run the samples. This is a site where hydraulic-ing was done 100 yrs ago but they couldn't get enough pressure to really finish the job so I am hopeful ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-172379935.jpg

Hydraulic pipe in a man made gully

Last edited:
OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-2407496104.jpg

Big washed rocks they set in piles

johna2231

Greenie
Jul 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a great looking area Kevin. I'm digging on learning about all the mining history around Colorado. Went down to the confluence of Clear Creek and the South Platte Tuesday and found some flour gold. Nice day to be out.

So, am I correct in assuming the big washed rocks were a by product of the hydraulic mining?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Kevin. Me and a friend were up on oh my god road/Virginia gulch Rd. We were snooping around and I found a hole that someone dug and classified. The hole was about a foot deep and a foot wide and maybe 20 feet on the other side of the creek.. Was this your "sample"...one of five you did in the area not long ago?

The area you are in now looks like a good time.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! That's a great looking area Kevin. I'm digging on learning about all the mining history around Colorado. Went down to the confluence of Clear Creek and the South Platte Tuesday and found some flour gold. Nice day to be out.

So, am I correct in assuming the big washed rocks were a by product of the hydraulic mining?

Yup, hydraulic mining over 100 yrs ago. Their water pressure was limited so they left the hardest packed material behind. I hope to find an untouched honey hole!!

I've been told by old timers that the best virgin placer material is up on hillsides where the old timers couldn't get decent water to it.hmmm :D

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin. Me and a friend were up on oh my god road/Virginia gulch Rd. We were snooping around and I found a hole that someone dug and classified. The hole was about a foot deep and a foot wide and maybe 20 feet on the other side of the creek.. Was this your "sample"...one of five you did in the area not long ago?

The area you are in now looks like a good time.

No but that's an interesting area. Most of it is private so be careful not to trespass and take someone's gold! Or make friends with a local and get permission of course :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread