Need input and advice on Eroding Volcanic Pipe that is producing Gold??!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fellow TNnet Gold Prospecting Folk,

About 7 years ago while Gold prospecting in a creek, I found a spot where white/bluish/grey clay comes up into one location in the creek, which is the downstream, shallower portion of a deeper hole! Knowing that usually the white/buish/grey clay contains Gold, I began digging some of the clay out and panning it down. This is no easy task as each full shovel full of the clay, must weigh in at 35 pounds or more. Well, once getting down 12 inches or more, I noticed that I was getting some color in the Gold Pan as well as some other possible heavy metals. After making some inquiries as to where the clay is coming from since this is the only spot on this creek or in the entire area with this white/bluish/grey clay, I was told by several Gold Prospectors and some others with backgrounds in Geology, that I may have found an eroding Volcanic Pipe. The problem I am having, is that if it is an eroding Volcanic Pipe, the exit of the pipe into the creek is about 3/4's blocked by large boulders. When I dig out the clay in the hole until I can dig no more due to the boulders, I then have to quit digging in this location. However, if I return a month or so later and there has been some rains, the hole is again full of the clay and I can dig, classify and pan it out. There was supposed to have been a Gold Mine in this area back in the 1800's to early 1900's but since I have looked everywhere in the area for the Gold Mine and can't find it, I am thinking that this hole in the creek, is the actual mine location and someone blocked the exit of the Volcanic Pipe into the creek for several reasons. One, they may have blocked it to prevent the loss of Gold downstream, so that they could come back some day and get more Gold but never did. Two, they blocked it for safety purposes as the exit of the Volcanic pipe may be unstable and someone could actually fall into and disappear in the hole. Whatever the case, I would like to extract some if not all of the boulders from the hole, so that the clay that is being brought into the creek from the eroding Volcanic Pipe, will flow more freely and I can get more Gold and the other possible heavy metals. What would you advise for me to do concerning trying to unblock the exit into the creek? Is this a good idea or a bad idea? How would you go about doing this as some of the boulders probably weigh in at 300 to 500 pounds? Keep in mind that I am not stupid and that if I attempt to unblock the exit of the Volcanic Pipe into the creek, I will have myself tied off to a large tree that is at least 30 yards or more from the hole! I surely don't want to fall into such a hole but at the same time, I want to make it where it (the Volcanic Pipe) will give up the Gold and other possible heavy metals more easily. I have spent too many years contemplating this delimma but due to work, family matters and financial issues, I could not see it through. However, I am now retired and since I have most of the monkeys off my' back per see, I now want to see this through! Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Note: I cannot give any specifics to the location (i.e. which State, County or even creek) as it may lead others to this location.

Frank

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't forget you can turf (pry by way of fulcrum) a boulder with a very solid piece of steel like one of the long substantial crow bars. If you can get it moving its weight could help with it rolling out of the way if they are underwater you may be able to get a pillow type float bag under it. Other that that there are always blasting caps if you can find a crack or fissure, did I just say that out loud, oops

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not knowing the exact type of opening, I would add.... build a platform/structure over the boulder/s that has a winch and tower. Secure the boulder using an adequate nylon or chain sling. Using a vehicle up to the task, raise the boulder then pull boulder and tower off, away, from hole. You may also remove the clay and "bake" it. Then crumble it. Re-emulsify the "dust" then pan the dust or use mercury. Find out how much of the clay is gold and make a plan from there to determine if the effort is worth it. TTC

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I think he should take you, military background, and from your photo, you have some real diving experience. My dive experience was a couple of trips in Hawaii, and a very small amount of underewater mining.

Frank,

Take Oak with you as a blind pig at least then you have the muscle without giving any knowledge

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and these will all be considered! However, due to the location of the hole and the creek, no explosives of any kind can be used. Also, it is a pretty good hike into the creek from the nearest road access, so I am limited to what I can carry in or pull in a small but sturdy wagon. It took me a couple of years to find and easier access to the site but it is still pretty rough and well off any road. I once took my' highbanker/dredge in when I had the old Briggs & Stratton trash pump setup on it. The wagon I used was one of those Chinese made cheapies from Wal-Mart and it flipped over sideways about 30 to 40 times on the way in and 50 or more times on the way back out and I lost oa lot of classified down material from my' 5 gallon buckets. Needless to say, I took that piece of crap back to Wal-Mart as soon as I got home and it is a pretty good drive from where I live. Oh, the old briggs & Stratton trash pump would not stay running, so I was unable to use it. I now have a Honda trash pump setup and although I have not started her in a few years, I would imagine with a little TLC, she will start each and every time on the first pull. Since it too hot to consider an attempt to unblock the hole any time soon, I will try to gather some equipment per the suggestions and haul them in later in the Fall of the year. I may make a prospecting/scouting trip back in to see if there is a location nearby where I can hide and conceal some of the equipment, so that I don't have to keep hauling it in and out. Since some of the boulders in the hole are so tightly wedged up against each other, do you think that I could take a battery operated drill and drill a hole or two in some of them, then screw in an eyed lag bolt to use in pulling them out? I will have to get my' highbanker dredge in there to suction all of the clay from the hole and from around the boulder to see how to work each boulder but it is doable.

Again, thanks!

Frank

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*Hint............. check into selling the volcanic clay, you may be surprised at it's value as a health and beauty product.
If you do not own the property then setting up to do earth moving could be a problem especially if it's state or federally owned where permits would be required.

Volcanic pipes in some cases are also known to be a source of, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and diamonds so be on the lookout.

GG~

Last edited:

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Frank,

I would take your time with this and gently and slowly haul in all your equipment and do it right one time down the road so you dont go off half cocked. Hiding your gear sounds like the way to go and maybe a modified Terry plan with a 6x6 over the top of the hole may be a possibility to crank one or two boulders out of the way with a come along or such rig up

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
*Hint............. check into selling the volcanic clay, you may be surprised at it's value as a health and beauty product.
If you do not own the property then setting up to do earth moving could be a problem especially if it's state or federally owned where permits would be required.

Volcanic pipes in some cases are also known to be a source of, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, and diamonds so be on the lookout.

GG~

I have thought about the selling of the clay once it has been processed! However, this stuff weighs a ton and I would only be able to haul out a few buckets of it at a time. After coming off the sluice into buckets or other collection container, it would have to be classified down to remove any unwanted rocks and this is no easy task as the clay is as dense a sculpturing or modeling clay.

Yeah, I have been on the lookout for Gems but other than some very minute pieces, I believe that the good stuff is still stuck in the pipe due to the limited exit flow. I have some samples (somewhere) that I kept from the hole and believe that they could be some fairly rare and expensive heavy metals. If I can find them, I will try to get them to the University of Tennessee's Geology department to have them analyzed.

Thanks!

Note: I will try to respond to some other posts later tonight or tomorrow.

Frank

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The Dexpan sounds like a good choice if it were not for where the boulder are located. The boulders are submerged 2 1/2' to 3 1/2' in the hole and completely under water. I don't think I can dam up the creek on the upper side as the hole is much deeper there than were the boulder are. If it is possible to build some sort of dam, I may attempt to do so, then try digging a small channel around the hole with the boulders to keep the water from overflowing the dam.

I like Terry's idea of building a platform and a tower with a winch! However, as previously stated, it is quite a hike in and everything would have to be hauled in on a small wagon, so space would be limited. Besides, I will have to be somewhat vigilant and careful to move any supplies when there is no traffic on the road, otherwise I risk getting someone's interest up and they may find my' potential money making hole and possibly some or all of my' equipment and supplies. I am thinking that it might be best to cut some small downed trees to build the platform and tower with and only haul in what else may be needed.

I might even try Kevin's suggestion of the long crow/pry bars and supplement with a cable and come-a-long once a boulder is raised high enough to get a cable around it! I may need a partner and Brad (Limitool) said that he was game since I traveled to and crawled into the cave in Middle Tennessee that he found with the etchings in the dried mud mound.

I can state that the location is within a National Forest and quite a ways from civilization. I am allowed to prospect the location but I would rather that the NF folks remain unaware of my find. If it turns out to be a significant find with lots of Gold, other heavy metals and even Gems, they make me file a claim and that will cost tons of money. There would probably be environmental studies, an access road cut into the site, clearing the site and installing a security fencing around the spot as well as Lawyers fees and I believe over one million in Liability Insurance that would have to be paid for as well as improvements to the land. If I can keep it a small operation, hopefully I can keep it off of their' radar and reap the benefits for years to come!

Thanks everyone and I am still up for more advice, input and suggestions if you all can think of anything!

Frank

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The Dexpan sounds like a good choice if it were not for where the boulder are located. The boulders are submerged 2 1/2' to 3 1/2' in the hole and completely under water. I don't think I can dam up the creek on the upper side as the hole is much deeper there than were the boulder are. If it is possible to build some sort of dam, I may attempt to do so, then try digging a small channel around the hole with the boulders to keep the water from overflowing the dam.

I like Terry's idea of building a platform and a tower with a winch! However, as previously stated, it is quite a hike in and everything would have to be hauled in on a small wagon, so space would be limited. Besides, I will have to be somewhat vigilant and careful to move any supplies when there is no traffic on the road, otherwise I risk getting someone's interest up and they may find my' potential money making hole and possibly some or all of my' equipment and supplies. I am thinking that it might be best to cut some small downed trees to build the platform and tower with and only haul in what else may be needed.

I might even try Kevin's suggestion of the long crow/pry bars and supplement with a cable and come-a-long once a boulder is raised high enough to get a cable around it! I may need a partner and Brad (Limitool) said that he was game since I traveled to and crawled into the cave in Middle Tennessee that he found with the etchings in the dried mud mound.

I can state that the location is within a National Forest and quite a ways from civilization. I am allowed to prospect the location but I would rather that the NF folks remain unaware of my find. If it turns out to be a significant find with lots of Gold, other heavy metals and even Gems, they make me file a claim and that will cost tons of money. There would probably be environmental studies, an access road cut into the site, clearing the site and installing a security fencing around the spot as well as Lawyers fees and I believe over one million in Liability Insurance that would have to be paid for as well as improvements to the land. If I can keep it a small operation, hopefully I can keep it off of their' radar and reap the benefits for years to come!

Thanks everyone and I am still up for more advice, input and suggestions if you all can think of anything!

Frank

Hey Frank,

All of your problems are over if you have a buddy you trust, a 300 lb submerged boulder is easy meat for two guys brain power and muscle power. I was worried for you as a single but I am not now there are probably two of you, If I were in your situation I would go "dead ship" on this from now on until you tell us about the cool stuff you have found.
All the very best and go for it.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think he should take you, military background, and from your photo, you have some real diving experience. My dive experience was a couple of trips in Hawaii, and a very small amount of underewater mining.

Thanks Oak, but he's better off with a blind pig than a grumpy old diver😊

OP
OP
H

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Frank,

All of your problems are over if you have a buddy you trust, a 300 lb submerged boulder is easy meat for two guys brain power and muscle power. I was worried for you as a single but I am not now there are probably two of you, If I were in your situation I would go "dead ship" on this from now on until you tell us about the cool stuff you have found.
All the very best and go for it.

Kevin,

It is not so "easy meat" for two old farts with bad backs! However, we still have some brain power we can put to use and believe that we can prevail. The problem with using muscle power is that there only two spots to work from, a thin bank on one side of the creek and downstream shallows at the end of the hole. The other creek bank is too high and a shear drop into the hole and the upstream end of the hole is deep and it is uncertain as to how stable the bottom is in this location. The hole is never clear enough to see the bottom on the deep end even during extended dry periods and I am unsure if it is caused by mud inflow in the creek upstream or backflow from the Volcanic Pipe. Oh well, hopefully we can figure a way to get some or all of the boulder out and see what is at the end of the rainbow!

Frank

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was a blind pig, a grumpy diver, a good guy, an ex marine and two old farts with bad backs.................

Last edited:

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
The Dexpan works underwater, see the link. Smaller pieces easier on bad backs. Just saying:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions