Arazona Prospecting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't dredge, can't help you there BUT mining season is year-round. That is IF you want to mine in 110+ degrees! Mining "season" is decided by mother nature. The usual season is from Roughly October to May.... the cooler months. If you are a casual miner and can get off the desert on a daily basis, go for it year-round! A call to the Stanton, AZ LDMA camp (AZ) will help answer that. Jack and Lisa Tucker run the show there and will answer your questions. The "monsoon" season has started. DO NOT set up camp in the bottom of washes as you may return to camp to find local thunderstorms may have ruined your equipment and stores! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Best treasure hunting forum on the net! TTC

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
It's year round as long as you're crazy enough to put up with the heat. (Kind of like me) This time of year is the Monsoon Season so you have to keep an eye on the weather. It may not be raining where you're working, but some of these washes go for miles and miles. Rain that's 10-15 miles away can come tearing down a wash and ruin your entire day.

Do some research into the area(s) you want to prospect in and trace any washes to their point of origin. Then keep an eye on weather between your site and the start of the wash. If it starts to rain anywhere between points A and B... Get out of the wash ASAP!!!!!

This time of year I do a lot of testing at different sites to get an idea of where I want to hit it hard once the weather cools off. Remember to bring lots of water and to drink it even if you don't feel thirsty. If you're feeling thirsty then you're already on your way to dehydration.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
the heat will cook you. no joke.
you really have to be prepared for it.

that being said i have dry washed moristown, little san domingo, rich hill at night in the summer.
it was not too bad. i would not do it in the day time.

you do have to drink at least a gallon or more of water every 3 to 5 hours to stay hydrated.

the harder you work the more water you need.

i will not go out mining without at least 5 gallons any time of year.

when the suns up, a long sleeve cotton shirt and a wide brim hat are a good idea.

November to May would be better. its cooler and less rattlers.

if you head up north its only about 90 degrees or so in Prescott this time of year.

lynx creek has some nice gold if you can hike a bit and dig to bedrock

dredging season, there's not much water in Arizona.

i have done some dredging in az and have found i like detecting and dry washing much better. being bent over all day dredging is hell on your back.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL At my age and mileage EVERYTHING is hell on the back! Like I said... I'm crazy and refuse to let little things like having my back broken in two places while in the Army get me down. I've lived with the pain for going on 40 years now so it's like an old friend. It keeps reminding me that I"m still alive.

PAIN: Mother Natures' way of letting you know you survived that little bit of stupidity.......

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Half of Arizona is mountainous and higher elevations cool - cold. Are you asking what the mining season is in the western desert portions of Arizona? Or just Arizona in general. There are some diehard miners here who have adapted to the heat and can function just fine during the summer. Others will work at night during the summer with lights on their operation.

ywevis

Feb 24, 2013
Albemarle, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So is there a law against dredging in Arizona? I was looking at around the san francisco river or the gila river down the south east corner of arizona.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In Arizona there are no laws against dredging and no restrictions. No permits needed or available.

Very little of the San Fransisco or the Gila are available for prospecting. Between private land, big mines, closures and claims if you did find a few feet you could dredge it would be unlikely to have enough gold to pay for gas for your dredge.

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of land that is not private is national Forrest and there are rules for some areas. I would always check demending on where your going.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions