Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Gold in Nebraska

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jan 2007
    2 times

Gold in Nebraska

Has anyone ever found gold in Nebraska? I have heard of some flour gold on the South Platte, however, I have never talked to anyone who has found any. Please let me know if you have made any finds.

Thanks

P.S. If you have a secret spot, I do not want to know where it is, just like to know if I am wasting time.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    1894 times

Re: Gold in Nebraska

Greetings Nebhunter,

Mrs Oro and I have found gold in Nebraska, not nuggets but flour to fine sand size; she would shoot me if I told exactly where but I can say you are already on the "right track". Good luck and good hunting to you, hope you find the treasure that you seek.

Oroblanco
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    790 times

ive heard several reports from people that have been into sand and gravel plants that are getting fine gold. and i know of 2 people that have a secerat spot and are getting fine gold as well. the Missouri river would be a good spot in the fall, when the waters are down due to the drought.ive been looking at these sand and gravel plants myself!

Jan 2007
    2 times

Oroblanco and Russau,

Thank you for the info. I have always wondered if there really is anyone who found gold here. I will have to start looking, I have a few spots in mind.

Thanks again

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    1894 times

Don't forget Nebhunter - when anyone asks, we always answer "there is no gold in Nebraska" and "the old timers got it all" these are the best answers! (Even though we KNOW better!) Good luck and good hunting to you, hope you find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    790 times

and when you make a find,remember us ole boys when you need some help! we aint that far away!!

Flatlander bitten by the gold bug.

Jan 2005
    4 times

Neb Hunter,

What part of the state are you in?

You may want to check out the Glacial maps and bedrock maps available on line.

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/gage/pre-wisc/gmap0.htm

http://csd.unl.edu/general/gis-datas...edrock_Geology

drop me a PM @ rmueller@farms-usa.com Not heard of anything on the South Platte in Nebraska, met a guy from CO in Wyoming a couple years ago that was dredging on the south and getting color. As Russ mentioned, A buddy has been finding some AU in South East Nebraska .. Details are pretty guarded. We are discussing a possible NE GPAA chapter if things "pan out". I am going out this weekend to the location to do some test panning a sluicing.

All I can say it is in the Nemaha drainage.. Bedrock is close to the surface in certain areas. Best guess on the South Platte or any other drainages you could find color but you'd be working off the clay as a false bedrock.

Goodyguy likes this.
    Gold is where you find it..

us
    Jan 2007
    Nebraska
    Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
    1 times

http://www.geocities.com/nationaltre.../Nebraska.html

There has been mention of finding small amounts on the South Platte near the Colorado border.
    Member of the "Rowdy Bunch"...CTH 2007...Iron Removal Technician

Broken Emerald

I remeber about 6 years ago, I went panning in nebraska (my grandpa lives there). I think I got little pieces of gold but my dad has them now. south platte sounds right because my granpa lives in ogallala.

Dec 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    do you know if their is any gold in the big blue river?

us
    Feb 2010
    Black Hills, South Dakota
    640 times
    I have heard of gold being found all the way to Omaha.Just sayin what I heard.

Good Luck!

B H Prospector

us
    Oct 2012
    Omaha, NE
    5 times
    Prospecting
    I'm new to the hobby. I spent last fall getting my feet wet so to speak, or maybe my toe. Now I'm a daily visitor to this site attempting to learn all I can. I have not been as far as the Big Blue yet but I got to believe you are on the right track, from what research that I have collected. This spring I plan to get out on the day trips and always looking for company if interested. Their is a small group of prospectors in Omaha that get together once and awhile. If you are interested in following, instant and I can hook you up. It may help with the learning curve. They use facebook, hope your tec savy.
    Goodyguy and Lanny in AB like this.

Oct 2013
    1 times

Nebraska Gold

Quote Originally Posted by bswanney View Post
    I'm new to the hobby. I spent last fall getting my feet wet so to speak, or maybe my toe. Now I'm a daily visitor to this site attempting to learn all I can. I have not been as far as the Big Blue yet but I got to believe you are on the right track, from what research that I have collected. This spring I plan to get out on the day trips and always looking for company if interested. Their is a small group of prospectors in Omaha that get together once and awhile. If you are interested in following, instant and I can hook you up. It may help with the learning curve. They use facebook, hope your tec savy.
    I am very interested in panning in Nebraska. My best friend and I took a trip to Colorado to hang out and do some prospecting. We didn't find anything, but it made for some awesome memories. I live in Lincoln, and it's been rumored that there was a gold mining operation just north of here. I can't seem to find any historical information on it, but I believe there may be some glacial deposits around here. Would you be interested in prospecting in Nebraska or helping with research? There are so few of us in Nebraska. I would even consider helping start a GPAA chapter here. Would love to find ANYONE that has pulled color out of Nebraska to share stories and locations.
    Goodyguy likes this.

us
    Jan 2014
    iowa
    1 times
    Prospecting
    I plan on heading through northern Nebraska on my way to the black hills. I will stopping at many rivers and creeks I see on the way and panning a few pans. ill post any findings I might come across.
    Goodyguy likes this.

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, and the Tesoro Sand Shark for sniping underwater on cleaned bedrock.
    1814 times
    Metal detecting for gold and Surface Suction Sluicing, AKA Triple-S mining.
    Most-likely, anywhere the northern glaciers dumped till, there should be flour gold at least.

Check where streams have concentrated it in bars. Check the upper and lower ends of the bars. Look for rocks fist-sized and larger. Dig down a few inches and sample. Flour gold is light and it will be up higher in the deposit. Look for black sand and garnets in the pan--they can lead you to the gold as well.

All the best,

Lanny

Bedrock and Gold: The mysteries . . .
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links