NebHunter

Jan 7, 2007
Upvote 0

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Greetings Nebhunter,

Mrs Oro and I have found gold in Nebraska, not nuggets but flour to fine sand size; she would shoot me if I told exactly where but I can say you are already on the "right track". Good luck and good hunting to you, hope you find the treasure that you seek.

Oroblanco

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
ive heard several reports from people that have been into sand and gravel plants that are getting fine gold. and i know of 2 people that have a secerat spot and are getting fine gold as well. the Missouri river would be a good spot in the fall, when the waters are down due to the drought.ive been looking at these sand and gravel plants myself!

OP
OP
N

NebHunter

Jan 7, 2007
Oroblanco and Russau,

Thank you for the info. I have always wondered if there really is anyone who found gold here. I will have to start looking, I have a few spots in mind.

Thanks again

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Don't forget Nebhunter - when anyone asks, we always answer "there is no gold in Nebraska" and "the old timers got it all" these are the best answers! ;) (Even though we KNOW better!) Good luck and good hunting to you, hope you find the treasures that you seek.

Oroblanco

nebraskadad

Jan 8, 2005
Neb Hunter,

What part of the state are you in?

You may want to check out the Glacial maps and bedrock maps available on line.

http://www.emporia.edu/earthsci/gage/pre-wisc/gmap0.htm

http://csd.unl.edu/general/gis-datasets.asp#Bedrock_Geology

drop me a PM @ [email protected] Not heard of anything on the South Platte in Nebraska, met a guy from CO in Wyoming a couple years ago that was dredging on the south and getting color. As Russ mentioned, A buddy has been finding some AU in South East Nebraska .. Details are pretty guarded. We are discussing a possible NE GPAA chapter if things "pan out". I am going out this weekend to the location to do some test panning a sluicing.

All I can say it is in the Nemaha drainage.. Bedrock is close to the surface in certain areas. Best guess on the South Platte or any other drainages you could find color but you'd be working off the clay as a false bedrock.

B

Broken Emerald

I remeber about 6 years ago, I went panning in nebraska (my grandpa lives there). I think I got little pieces of gold but my dad has them now. south platte sounds right because my granpa lives in ogallala.

adam97

Dec 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you know if their is any gold in the big blue river?

bswanney

Oct 12, 2012
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm new to the hobby. I spent last fall getting my feet wet so to speak, or maybe my toe. Now I'm a daily visitor to this site attempting to learn all I can. I have not been as far as the Big Blue yet but I got to believe you are on the right track, from what research that I have collected. This spring I plan to get out on the day trips and always looking for company if interested. Their is a small group of prospectors in Omaha that get together once and awhile. If you are interested in following, instant and I can hook you up. It may help with the learning curve. They use facebook, hope your tec savy.

kacohn

Oct 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nebraska Gold

I'm new to the hobby. I spent last fall getting my feet wet so to speak, or maybe my toe. Now I'm a daily visitor to this site attempting to learn all I can. I have not been as far as the Big Blue yet but I got to believe you are on the right track, from what research that I have collected. This spring I plan to get out on the day trips and always looking for company if interested. Their is a small group of prospectors in Omaha that get together once and awhile. If you are interested in following, instant and I can hook you up. It may help with the learning curve. They use facebook, hope your tec savy.

I am very interested in panning in Nebraska. My best friend and I took a trip to Colorado to hang out and do some prospecting. We didn't find anything, but it made for some awesome memories. I live in Lincoln, and it's been rumored that there was a gold mining operation just north of here. I can't seem to find any historical information on it, but I believe there may be some glacial deposits around here. Would you be interested in prospecting in Nebraska or helping with research? There are so few of us in Nebraska. I would even consider helping start a GPAA chapter here. Would love to find ANYONE that has pulled color out of Nebraska to share stories and locations.

twizzle

Greenie
Jan 20, 2014
iowa
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I plan on heading through northern Nebraska on my way to the black hills. I will stopping at many rivers and creeks I see on the way and panning a few pans. ill post any findings I might come across.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most-likely, anywhere the northern glaciers dumped till, there should be flour gold at least.

Check where streams have concentrated it in bars. Check the upper and lower ends of the bars. Look for rocks fist-sized and larger. Dig down a few inches and sample. Flour gold is light and it will be up higher in the deposit. Look for black sand and garnets in the pan--they can lead you to the gold as well.

All the best,

Lanny

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting-gold/69-bedrock-gold-mysteries.html

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I plan on heading through northern Nebraska on my way to the black hills. I will stopping at many rivers and creeks I see on the way and panning a few pans. ill post any findings I might come across.
Good plan! I've heard reports of fine gold in the Platte River in nebraska. Try that for sure.

Also Kacohn, sorry to hear you made it to CO but got skunked. There's lots of gold here. Now that you found us here on tnet, you can find a local prospecting buddy when you travel...gold guaranteed!

bswanney

Oct 12, 2012
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Twizzle,

All the comments are correct. Not sure what direction you will be traveling but if you are looking for gold in the northern Nebraska I believe it will be tough. Rather than the cobble that typically is looked for, look for bedrock. It does exist, up near the Iowa/Nebraska/South Dakota borders. Their was a gold mine at Klondike, IA several years ago. They did not make it as a Company but their had to be color their. With bedrock look for over mineralized soils, dark or iron in color. Those will hold your gold deposits. Usually under this type of soil you will also come in contact with either bedrock or a slime grey clay. Both the clay and bedrock will stop the gold from going down and the closer you are to the clay or bedrock the better your finds.

Their is a huge line of glacier till hills in NW IA and SE South Dakota. Matter of fact the highest point in Iowa is a glacier till mount within 80 miles East of Sioux Falls, SD. If you look at a google map you will see a line of bedrock exposed just south of Sioux Falls, in Iowa. Follow that line to the west and you will come on the Big Sioux River. Look 7 miles west and 4 miles north of Larchwood, IA. You will see the string of bedrock. I have not been their but planning a trip soon.

I have not heard of anything in Northern Nebraska as the Glaciers stopped dumping deposits within 100 miles west of Larchwood, IA. The next glacier till would be up near Chamberlin, SD and I have not mapped that area at all.

The glaciers made a line roughly from the Missouri/Nebraska border up to Sioux Falls, SD to Just north of Chamberlin, SD. East or west of this line 100 miles. With a seasoned miner I have gotten gold in SE Nebraska. Not a huge amount but color. And I can confirm that a nugget the size of pea was taken in this area as well, but a lot of time was consumed just scouting the area. Good luck and I would love to here your results. The adventure is more than 80% of the fun, the color just is the pay off.

Good luck

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like a good place to use a gold magnet

OP
OP
N

NebHunter

Jan 7, 2007
From the time I first posted this thread, about 7 years ago. I have been panning several times in Nebraska. I have not found a lot of gold, but it does exist for sure. I would just remind everyone, the adjacent land owners also own the water to the middle of the creeks and rivers in Nebraska. Always get permission, and good luck.

NebHunter

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just went to North Platte 2 weeks ago, where the South Platte River & the North Platte River meet. Just north of Buffalo Bills Ranch. Storm waters still hadn't receded completely. I've heard usually water levels are ankle high, but when we went water levels were waist high. We didn't find any color but we were only sluicing for a couple hours of a 1 day camp out. Plus we were both sleep deprived from the 7 hour trip from Kansas City there. I would go further upstream closer to the Wyoming or colorado border depending upon which river u chose to follow. My opinion is there is color in Nebraska. Especially glacial gold in the south eastern part of the state. At least that's what my research suggests! I'm so confident in it I just bought another sluice for the sole purpose of going back to try another spot. I'll post location if I have any luck! Gold is where u find it. These other guys I'm sure have more experience than me but never under estimate the power of persistence. Happy hunting and good luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread