Getting material out of a moving stream without a dredge??

EngiNerd

Jul 7, 2013
Holly Springs, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all!

This is sort of a continuation of an earlier post, but it can stand on its own.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/p...t-gold-panning-trip-gravel-bar-questions.html

So, I went back to the same spot as before, but I moved up stream, to right in front of this bridge (see first photo in previous post). There are a couple of large rock sticking up in front of the tunnel, and thought that would be a good place to dig. However, it became very apparent that getting the material out without it washing off the shovel is going to be a challenge. Another fella came by, and he made the same comment on a spot further down stream; good spots behind large rocks (and right near some bedrock), but the material washes off his shovel. I was able to get a small pan right in behind the rock, and get some material in the pan, using my hands. After panning it out, I might have found one spec of color, but I would not bet on it (I put it in a bottle anyways to look at later).

Here is my question: Are there any tip/trick/suggestions for getting material from behind a rock in the middle of a fast moving stream ?? I know the most obvious answer is to use a dredge, but being on federal lands, they are prohibited (well, the rules says nothing mechanized or motorized; I wonder if a gravity dredge would be allowed?? :laughing7:.) Could one try submerging a sluice box? (I googled that, but did not see much on it). Is there a ways to capture that material, and then pan it on the shore? I figured someone here has dealt with this problem before . . . I know...they probably used a dredge! :)

Thanks for any feedback!

EngiNerd

Upvote 0

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a battery operated Tonka Excavator?

Frank
View attachment 837513
Battery implies motor. I don't think we could even get away with one of these because it is a 'mechanical advantage'

3203134505_1cc9589c5d.jpg

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello GG and ScottC,

Ok, so forgive me for my ignorance, but how do you use these bucket shovels?? Is it similar to what jcazgoldchaser is showing in his photo? Do you put the open face down, and then pull the handle towards you??

Thanks!

Jared

Yes, the bucket digger is sort of like a backhoe or excavator. Scoop and pull up. The dumping seem awkward and I've said before it seems it would be better with a T handle.

Welcome to BucketDigger.com

Another thread on the subject with a couple more shovel types:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/321933-special-shovel.html

OP
OP
E

EngiNerd

Jul 7, 2013
Holly Springs, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, the bucket digger is sort of like a backhoe or excavator. Scoop and pull up. The dumping seem awkward and I've said before it seems it would be better with a T handle.

Welcome to BucketDigger.com

Another thread on the subject with a couple more shovel types:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/321933-special-shovel.html

Hello jcazgoldchase.

Ok, I see how he is using it. Not far off from what I was thinking. I will keep this shovel in mind, if I decide to upgrade from the spade I am currently using.

Thanks!

Jared

Sackett

Feb 20, 2011
Greenwood, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500 (need a new/better one)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a pic of a modified shovel (2 inches welded to three sides of shovel) posted yesterday by tweeta bear at 6:08 pm on this prospecting page. Some
miners say it really improves the retention of gravel when digging under water.

This what I did. I welded a peice across the back of shovel and then 1/2 way up both side then covered the top,,all with thin metal that way the gold cannot wash out the back or sides. I think that someone makes such a shovel that you can buy, but I like to make what I can to save $ and just to know that I made it!

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Summit mining has a shovel head for $65
Link: Prospecting shovel
GPS-8x11-2T.jpg

Martin Prospecting has just the flanges for $25
Link: Gold Prospecting Shovel Adapter
1375183987410270380782.jpeg

Martin Products has multiple sizes and head shapes just like above
Link: www.martinproducts.biz - ONLINE STORE PARTS PAGE
Including these type scoops
100_75_csupload_53491519.jpg

100_75_csupload_52578778.jpg

Lastly, I don't naturally know these things. I've found creative image searches on various key words often turns up exactly what I'm looking for, often not what I'm looking for but cool ideas none the less...

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When I work in 2-3 feet of water I put on my gloves, turn my bucket on its side, kneel/partially sit on it to hold it down and shovel sand and gravel in with my hands, moving big rocks out of the way behind me as I go. Y'all are just getting too technical.. ;-)
sounds like a good technique :) I usually just build a little punk dam a foot or so upstream of my hole to reduce the current's energy where I'm working.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think those special shovels are for sale somewhere too...
www.martinproducts.biz - Home sells one. No experience with it here but it's just what you are hearing about here.

And here's the hand pump: Gold Prospecting Equipment by Gold-N-Sand I have one of these and love it. I'm friends with the guy who owns the company so I'll leave it to others to tell you it's the best pump out there ;-)
Have you upgraded your hand dredge with the new square valve system? It is supposed to make the Gold n Sand even better.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you upgraded your hand dredge with the new square valve system? It is supposed to make the Gold n Sand even better.
new Square valve system? could you expand on that comment for us?

No I haven't but will do when my current valves wear out (if ever).

Russ, the new valves are a new design by a Red (patent pending) made specifically for use in a prospecting hand dredge. I think the idea is better flow, less effort, less jamming, lasts longer and easier to repair or replace in the field.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread