Help me Help you Build a low cost Bazooka miner and prospector gold trap for $150

gqlikeu

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2012
So im not rich but I want a Bazooka miner and Bazooka super prospector! I love the design that the bazooka co. has come up with but there are a few draw backs to the design! The first being the price, and the second being that there is not an easy way to unclog the PVC fluid bed holes when debris enters it and the third is that you must have plenty of flowing water to opperate it with success! So my solution is to build a replica that is almost identical but cost way less!

Ok lets get started:headbang:

I jumped in with both feet and bought a 4x8 sheet of black ABS thinking that I could easily reproduce this Bazooka miner product that everyone is raving about. I watched all the youtube videos that I could find on fluid bed and these Bazookas. I have decided that the miner and the super prospector will fit my needs if it is modified slightly!

The modifications I see that it needs are 1st the ability to be able to easily clean debris from the PVC fluid bed pipes and 2nd to be able to supply a controlable water flow to the fluid bed in the event I want to use it with a dredge, so my solution is to allow the PVC fluid bed pipes to protrude from the end of the Bazooka and cap them. The fluid bed pipe caps will allow me to A clean the pipes and B pump water to the fluid bed when I use it with a dredge or high banking.

Building the miner only takes slightly more than half of the 4x8 sheet of ABS and all of the pieces have been cut bent and all but welded up.

Here is where the "help me help you" part comes into play!

I need help! Im new to gold prospecting and I found that I like the bazooka miner but I can't afford to pay $300 for one plus shipping. So what I did is I bought a 4x8 sheet of abs plastic in 3/16 size. I have a plastic welder and I have already figured out the the length and width of the unit and have bent the outer shell. I still need some measurements though and I have looked for three days on the net but i have had no luck finding them.

1st measurement i need is the height of the top of the long bed from the bottom of the bazooka.
2nd measurement i need is the height from the top of the short bed to the bottom of the bazooka.
3rd measurement I need is the diameter of the pvc pipe used.
4th measurement I need is the width of the holes in the PVC and also how many holes per pipe. ( also need to know if there are any holes that face down and if so how many )
5th measurement I need is how far off the bottom of the fluid trap is the bottom of the pvc.
6th measurement I need is how high is the dam/over spill wall at the end of the bazooka.

I was assuming I need 3/4" pvc but im not sure?
I also made an assumption that the dam/overspill wall was 3 and 3/8" tall? But im just not sure and I didn't want to start welding the box together because I assumed so. Any help would be greatly rewarded by the Gold karma gods. I am also assuming that there is a vertical support strip in the middle of the long bed between the long bed and the bottom of the bazooka.

I have not welded anything up yet I just used adhesive foam blocks to hold up the beds and get an idea of the position of the beds. ( I only tacked the end dam/over spill wall in place. ( the dam / Over spill wall has holes in it because I am letting the fluid bed pipes protrude so that i can screw on clean out caps.

I have scoured the internet but I have not found pictures of the inside of the miner, so if some one will post them I would be in your debt and everyone else that wants to buy the ABS plastic sheet can make two Bazookas for less than $150

For the hole count in the pvc in the Bazooka miner all you would have to do is stick a flash light in the intake side of the bazooka facing the light towards the pvc ( pictured below ), then use a mechanics mirror in the open slot at the end of the trap and count how many holes are are in the pvc. ( you would really only need the mechanics mirror to view the very last holes closest to the end of the trap) The light should light up the holes nicely and you should be able to see if there are any holes that face down.

To measure the diameter of the holes in the pvc use a piece of putty or clay and place it on the tip of a stick then put the stick in the open slot at the end of the bazooka and lightly press it against one of the holes to leave the impression of the hole in the putty or clay. Remove the stick with putty and measure the diameter of the hole impression.

The rest of the measurements should be easy as pie!

I have enough plastic left over from the 4x8 sheet of abs to make a super prospector too so feel free to count the holes in your prospector if you want I will need those too!

DSCF2231.JPG DSCF2233.JPG DSCF2234.JPG DSCF2200.JPG DSCF2207.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BGTMnr

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2015
NW USA
Detector(s) used
GoldBug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Perhaps you failed to read the TITLE of this thread?

" Help me Help you Build a low cost Bazooka miner and prospector gold trap for $150"

I have no problem with someone making their own modified version, FOR THEIR OWN USE.

No need to, and "patent" has nothing to do with it IMO. It's a matter of right and wrong,
and lame attempts at rationalizing producing an item yourself that another person did
all the work of designing and building, and then marketing that product.

Said my peace. You're gonna do what you want to do, anyway, and without regard
or compensation to those that designed the thing.

Haha that's not what the title means. They're not saying they're selling it for $150. They're saying that's their budget, (ie the cost of 3/16" ABS sheeting) and the potential budget for anyone reading the post. I thought that was obvious, but I guess it wasn't for some people.

And you're right, I will duplicate a BGT sluice for myself free of moral burden, just like when I bent up my own traditional sheet metal sluice free of moral burden.

FYI, BGT didn't invent the fluidized bed. There are a plethora of different industrial processing plants that rely on fluidizing aggregate whose design dates back to the early 1900's. If you think BGT is worthy of a patent because they copied someone else's design, and that people in turn shouldn't copy BGT because it's, "immoral", that's a bit ironic.

Last edited:

BGTMnr

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2015
NW USA
Detector(s) used
GoldBug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol....it's gonna be difficult to build it as good as it is already.....let alone improve it.... but, what would I know;)

People do things for fun. You've heard of that word before, right? Just because people can go buy tomatoes at Walmart doesn't mean they shouldn't have fun trying to grow some in a garden and experiencing what it is to grow their own food.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
People do things for fun. You've heard of that word before, right?
Just because people can go buy tomatoes at Walmart doesn't mean they shouldn't have fun trying to
grow some in a garden and experiencing what it is to grow their own food.

Can't argue with that one bit, but then Walmart did not design, engineer and
troubleshoot tomatoes in order to put them on the market.

Built a lot of my own gear, but also spent the $$$ when I had to in order
to get a better piece of gear. That part I understand, but my impressions
from reading the thread was that they were going to be sold at a profit. Could
be that's not your intent, but then again my initial comment was in reference to
the GQ person.

For another $100 over the cost of trying to make one, you can buy the real deal.
True, you don't get the fun of building it, but instead spend that time out feeding
the factory-made BGT and you'll come out ahead..:occasion14:

Last edited:

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also think the title was misleading and made me wonder if the individual was selling plans or something like that. Probably should have written something like "how I built my BGT copy for under $150"

Better yet would be "how I built my bgt copy 20 times and put in 200hrs of testing before I got it to work almost as well as the original"

The BGT is a great sluice and they have done a terrific job factoring how to implement a self powered fluid bed, classification, and great recovery into a package that works in the field. While you can try to argue that BGT didn't create the original idea of a fluid bed principle so it's not patent worthy, you must understand that it's the overall design and operation that's patented and most patents are improvements or applications of knowledge learned from earlier designs. Patent worthy - YOU BET'CHA

I too don't have any problem with folks building their own gear for their own use to save a few bucks, I do it myself and learn a lot about the equipment by doing so. I'm not knocking the idea of building your own equipment, just know that knowledge of getting it right comes at a price also.

It has taken many years for the fluid bed sluice to become accepted in the mining community since it's original design in the early 90's by Howard Schmidt. The guys at BGT made several of their own improvements from the original design and giving them credit for these changes and staying with it over many years is worth noting. In the end it may cost more to buy one, but if you buy an original you are supporting their efforts to bring us a great proven well tested product and hopefully your local prospecting store. GO BGT!!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What he said^^^^^^:thumbsup:......The tubes don't need to be removable to be cleaned...why you have to shut down the box...its just as easy to pick it up and dump it backwards give it a swish....also its pretty easy to keep stuff out of the scoop(what we call the water trap)

Tinker tinker all you want I'm fabricating an ABS apron for my production hi-banker right now...Its a part I need that doesn't exist on the market...traditionally most mining gear is custom made for the miner/mine.

Bazookas are a stream sluice superior to others in production because of certain factors...they are sought after and highly coveted once you have ran one. You will rarely find them for resale and if you do they aren't marked down even as much as they are for dealers...that says a lot.

The point everyone here is making is that for 150 bucks you will be making a fluid trap sluice...it may work as well as a bazooka it may not...you still seek a lot of info in order to try and duplicate the box.....You will however NOT be making a BAZOOKA!!!!!

I make Bazookas..its Friday I might only make (finish) about 10 to 15 of them today...depends what needs shipped..and plastic stock we have had a long late season run and we have been getting our not up to spec boxes ready for discount sale.......we would like to get a good inventory for the Sonora show.....people talk a lot about cost and ease of production....but, I have to say there's only so much four or five(normally two) guys can do. Everything we do is by hand per order...so thanks to everyone for the patience and appreciation and praise. ENJOY YOU 100% AMERICA SLUICE BOX AND THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF THE COMPANY!!

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What he said^^^^^^:thumbsup:......The tubes don't need to be removable to be cleaned...why you have to shut down the box...its just as easy to pick it up and dump it backwards give it a swish....also its pretty easy to keep stuff out of the scoop(what we call the water trap)

Tinker tinker all you want I'm fabricating an ABS apron for my production hi-banker right now...Its a part I need that doesn't exist on the market...traditionally most mining gear is custom made for the miner/mine.

Bazookas are a stream sluice superior to others in production because of certain factors...they are sought after and highly coveted once you have ran one. You will rarely find them for resale and if you do they aren't marked down even as much as they are for dealers...that says a lot.

The point everyone here is making is that for 150 bucks you will be making a fluid trap sluice...it may work as well as a bazooka it may not...you still seek a lot of info in order to try and duplicate the box.....You will however NOT be making a BAZOOKA!!!!!

I make Bazookas..its Friday I might only make (finish) about 10 to 15 of them today...depends what needs shipped..and plastic stock we have had a long late season run and we have been getting our not up to spec boxes ready for discount sale.......we would like to get a good inventory for the Sonora show.....people talk a lot about cost and ease of production....but, I have to say there's only so much four or five(normally two) guys can do. Everything we do is by hand per order...so thanks to everyone for the patience and appreciation and praise. ENJOY YOU 100% AMERICA SLUICE BOX AND THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT OF THE COMPANY!!

I get it that you guys are currently busy with production runs on a proven product but I'm curious if your company has any prototypes you are considering or currently testing? What first comes to mind is a model to exclusively handle ocean beach sand feed (for those of you not already in the know, ocean beach sand is mostly -100 mesh) and the usual extremely fine gold (-100 to microscopic) associated with it. Is this something you have previously tested and if so what were your results and/or conclusions as to viability?

I know at least one other on this forum besides me has done some testing of beach sand or black sand concentrate from beach sands with mixed results depending on some variables added to the mix and I am interested if you guys have done some too.

Sorry to the original poster for veering off subject.

Last edited:

BGTMnr

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2015
NW USA
Detector(s) used
GoldBug
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I realize that BGT probably put a lot of time and effort into designing their sluice, and I would be more than happy to recognize that effort by buying a legitimate product if they weren't charging over $300 for a sluice that's been on the market for 10 years. Their closest competitor, the Keene A52, is about 1/3 the price of a BGT Miner. I could go buy a Keene A52 and a 6hp water pump for the same price as a BGT Miner. That's crazy.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I realize that BGT probably put a lot of time and effort into designing their sluice, and I would be more than happy to recognize that effort by buying a legitimate product if they weren't charging over $300 for a sluice that's been on the market for 10 years. Their closest competitor, the Keene A52, is about 1/3 the price of a BGT Miner. I could go buy a Keene A52 and a 6hp water pump for the same price as a BGT Miner. That's crazy.

The a52 equivalent to a bazooka would be the sniper. It's around $145 shipped. I bet even their smallest sluice would run circles around an a52 so that's not really the best price comparison. My a52 is just collecting dust now...

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel in the most humblest of opinions that many on this forum are Bazooka enthusiasts/ members of the Bazooka family and are simply defending their friends/ product (can't be mad at that). I've never used one but have seen them in action, seems like one hell of a sluice (and I HATE to classify lol).

BUT, let's not take this out of context. Seems to me like all this guy is doing is building his own version of the BGT and sharing the process in the case that others whom enjoy DIY stuff can do it as well, and how much it will cost...that's it, nothing more..nothing less. Let's all take a chill pill or if you prefer, like myself...a doobie :headbang:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You work for BGT?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You work for BGT?
Yes, I build the boxes....and use the boxes ...and tell people how to use the boxes....next weekend I will be selling the boxes....and no none of you can have a discount. ..AND I WON'T MAKE A SILLY PUTTY IMPRESSION OF THE TUBE HOLES....AND YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT SIZE PUMP YOU NEED TO MAKE A BAZOOKA HI-BANKER!!:BangHead:...I like beer and a No. 2 shovel really brings out the green in my eyes8-).....I am not in customer service I think that dept. is only open 1 a.m. to 2 a.m. Feb. 31st every second leap year. I call and always get the at&t automated line and give up...We can't do custom colors and no longer include cup holders!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Well, I have an A52, too. It now has Gold Hog washer mats in it and it is used as recycling clean up sluice for the cons from my Bazooka. It never goes to the creek anymore. Neither does my Wolf Trap sluice, though it used to be a favorite. My Le Trap gets more use than any other of my non-Bazooka sluices. That is because it will work nicely in low water situations that will not fluidize my Bazooka Sniper Trap. Like KevinInColorado, I moved to drop riffle sluices from the traditional ones because they work better. And I moved to Bazookas because I don't have to classify not necessarily because they work better than my Le Trap.

I hope that helps. Yes the Bazooka is more expensive than the A52--OK, a lot more. But I get a lot more gold with a lot less classifying (none) when I use the Bazooka.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was referring to an out of spec model

You can drive to Sonora next weekend:laughing7:.....Discount boxes only sell face to face no shipping sorry!

we really don't have that many just clearing shelves in the shop.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I have an A52, too. It now has Gold Hog washer mats in it and it is used as recycling clean up sluice for the cons from my Bazooka. It never goes to the creek anymore. Neither does my Wolf Trap sluice, though it used to be a favorite. My Le Trap gets more use than any other of my non-Bazooka sluices. That is because it will work nicely in low water situations that will not fluidize my Bazooka Sniper Trap. Like KevinInColorado, I moved to drop riffle sluices from the traditional ones because they work better. And I moved to Bazookas because I don't have to classify not necessarily because they work better than my Le Trap.

I hope that helps. Yes the Bazooka is more expensive than the A52--OK, a lot more. But I get a lot more gold with a lot less classifying (none) when I use the Bazooka.

I Have an Angus for a drop riffle its my long trip sluice for when I don't know if I will even be sluicing. It's lightest. Drop riffles are very forgiving for classification. The drops protect the concentrates rocks can't settle and scour material. I classify to like an inch with my angus...or I don't even bother. Traditional Hungarians are essentially motorcycle ramps for the type of gold that's most difficult to settle out and hold. And speed bumps for all the material you don't want to hang up.
Le traps are nice but, I'm rough on gear and I warp le traps....Brawn sluices are bad ass as well!
I run Gold Hog in my power sluices. I have different matts for different material/gold. I would run some in an aluminium slice body for a river flood gold sluice I bet it would work great.
I can use any Bazooka I wan't I can add whatever widget I wan't ...But I leave it alone theres no need for v-mat etc. My go to is my 36" reg. weight prospector. Within its flow range I can run ridiculous amounts of material. I never have to pull it and clean it out bucket after bucket. This year a few times early summer I hit a few spots I wished I had a sniper vs. my angus.

Once the rain sets in we will be using a Miner on our claim.It eats buckets...a bucket a minute no worries through a sluice is awesome..But, We still have to break out the big power sluice for the hardpack.

Price....:dontknow:....Not everyone needs a miner...you should upgrade sluices when it's holding back the amount of material you run!!!!!!! Not, because you feel your NOT finding enough gold....that's the diggers problem not the boxes! Most fellas have no need to move past a prospector...a miner is a serious production sluice you can't run the thing alone, getting it out of the water is a chore.

We barely had two months of sluicing water on our claim last season...as soon as we have water this fall I'll be making some videos to share.

Mainly to make some of you guys sweat at how fast we feed our Bazookas:headbang:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I Have an Angus for a drop riffle its my long trip sluice for when I don't know if I will even be sluicing. It's lightest. Drop riffles are very forgiving for classification. The drops protect the concentrates rocks can't settle and scour material. I classify to like an inch with my angus...or I don't even bother. Traditional Hungarians are essentially motorcycle ramps for the type of gold that's most difficult to settle out and hold. And speed bumps for all the material you don't want to hang up.
Le traps are nice but, I'm rough on gear and I warp le traps....Brawn sluices are bad ass as well!
I run Gold Hog in my power sluices. I have different matts for different material/gold. I would run some in an aluminium slice body for a river flood gold sluice I bet it would work great.
I can use any Bazooka I wan't I can add whatever widget I wan't ...But I leave it alone theres no need for v-mat etc. My go to is my 36" reg. weight prospector. Within its flow range I can run ridiculous amounts of material. I never have to pull it and clean it out bucket after bucket. This year a few times early summer I hit a few spots I wished I had a sniper vs. my angus.

Once the rain sets in we will be using a Miner on our claim.It eats buckets...a bucket a minute no worries through a sluice is awesome..But, We still have to break out the big power sluice for the hardpack.

Price....:dontknow:....Not everyone needs a miner...you should upgrade sluices when it's holding back the amount of material you run!!!!!!! Not, because you feel your NOT finding enough gold....that's the diggers problem not the boxes! Most fellas have no need to move past a prospector...a miner is a serious production sluice you can't run the thing alone, getting it out of the water is a chore.

We barely had two months of sluicing water on our claim last season...as soon as we have water this fall I'll be making some videos to share.

Mainly to make some of you guys sweat at how fast we feed our Bazookas:headbang:

This!

ALL the sluice wisdom in one post. Well said [emoji3]

GoldFool

Oct 29, 2017
Redondo Beach (LA)
Detector(s) used
Whites GoldMaster GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can I buy one from you?

Damn impressive. I actually just registered simply so I could reply to you. Ive been wanting to upgrade my old junky sluice for a while now... well actually so long that the one I decided I wanted back then (after much research) was a Bazooka. And now that Im finally ready to pull ths trigger, it appears theyve up and gone out of business! Which lead me here ...on my search for more info on how I might be able to make one Hahah.. sorry, had to laugh (at myself). But, look at this thing here! This guy is definitely no slouch and has some nice skills and what looks like patience and attention to detail as well. Good job man.

So how did it turn out? Looks like this post was a while ago though. So assuming you finished it and maybe youve even improved it like you were talking about doing here in fhe post, I believe?? But seriously, if you'd at all be interested in building another, I would be willing to pay you something fair for materials and of course your time. Im actually totally serious... Id be honered to pay you for one you would build yourself. Look forward to hearing back! Thanks, Craig

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread