Ginormous Gold Flake

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thought I would share the ginormous gold flake I found in my high grade section. It really surprised me that it made it past the 3/8" punch plate but did not even get to the first riffle. It was sitting in the 1/2" dead space, I guess it's acting like a drop riffle. I went up Wednesday night, dredged Thursday and Friday and came home Saturday and ended up getting 14 grams, not bad at all. With the seven grams I had from last week I should have a ounce this up coming week, going up Monday night and coming home Thursday morning.

Without further adieu...

IMG_20130801_142924.jpg
It weighs in at .2 grams

IMG_20130804_112436.jpg

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice piece!

northern_sierras

May 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great job....what size dredge are you using and do you have any pics of the terrain you are working?

Dreadnox

Jul 28, 2013
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Metadyne magnet stick, Garretts pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is some pretty yeller powder there Dude!! Hope you find a vein and then you can mine gold for a hobbie! Best of luck.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm running a 4" dredge and was on the beginning of a strait after an inside bend. The bend in the creek has exposed bedrock and the area had been bucket line dredged in the late 1800's. Hope that makes sense.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever see one of them buckets?

130629SandyPosesInBucketFromDredgeNo4.jpg

Ain't no way the bedrock was cleaned.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ever see one of them buckets?

View attachment 839584

Ain't no way the bedrock was cleaned.

Well surprising they did a good job here...I creviced down to the end of some cracks and found no gold. Maybe I was just not in the right spot but I think I was (gold path). They chewed the #$%^ out of the bedrock there chasing the gold. Anyone know what the white sticky substance in the cracks are? No pics, sorry no underwater camera.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not a flake, it's a flattened nugget! Congrats and that great cleanup! White and sticky in the cracks? I'm temped to make a joke here that would get me kicked off the board, but I'll say it's probably some type of clay.

OP
OP
O

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's not a flake, it's a flattened nugget! Congrats and that great cleanup! White and sticky in the cracks? I'm temped to make a joke here that would get me kicked off the board, but I'll say it's probably some type of clay.

LMFAO

Between the decomposing bedrock, the bedrock with quartz/granite, the white sticky stuff and the rust colored stuff also found in the cracks its a smorgas board down there,,,unfortunately I don't know enough to know what I'm looking at. Really wish I had a underwater camera. This creek is so rich...maybe 1 gram a yard or there about. I'm putting together a plan on how to mine this creek next year, don't know if two or three 5-6" dredges would be better then a trammel and backhoe in efficiently getting the gold with minimal impact. This project could possibly be worth millions!

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hold off on setting up a wash plant. You're first step should probably be a dredge. 3 or 4 inch is a good beginning point. If this creek is that rich you will have the money for a larger dredge soon enough. A larger dredge isn't just a larger hose. They increase dramatically in both size and weight, not to mention price. They need deeper water to operate and are MUCH harder to get moved and positioned. They can also be much more dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMFAO

Between the decomposing bedrock, the bedrock with quartz/granite, the white sticky stuff and the rust colored stuff also found in the cracks its a smorgas board down there,,,unfortunately I don't know enough to know what I'm looking at. Really wish I had a underwater camera. This creek is so rich...maybe 1 gram a yard or there about. I'm putting together a plan on how to mine this creek next year, don't know if two or three 5-6" dredges would be better then a trammel and backhoe in efficiently getting the gold with minimal impact. This project could possibly be worth millions!

I agree with Jason, get your poke built up this season before "doubling down" as so many broke gamblers have done here in Reno. Next thing you know, it will
be too time-consuming to drive to the claim, gotta have a helicopter drop you in. :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread