For those curious slot riffle vs spiral riffle in Gold Well collection efficiency

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There were some who were curious whether the slotted riffles were capturing most of the gold (doing the work) in the Gold Well sluice. A picture is worth a thousand words.

12 inch sluice riffles loaded with gold 3.jpg 12 inch sluice riffles loaded with gold 2.jpg

For those curious then what the horizontal slots are there for, they are 'mixing wells' that allow the heavy and light material to separate more rapidly (notice chamfer on the leading edge of the slot not typical of a standard drop riffle), and to buffer material temporarily in case the operator overloads the sluice, so that material doesn't load up and wash out of the sluice before the gold is separated and captured.

Very little gold was collected in the slot riffles. Majority of the fine gold (not shown in the photo), was collected around 1/2 way down the sluice where the braking action of the slot riffles slowed the water velocity sufficiently. The chamfer leads the water down into the pocket where it creates turbulence and brakes the water velocity a small amount between slots, resulting in the same effect as a widening sluice.

Material was processed in Alaska.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i can see page 1 and page 3 , still cannot get into page 2.... it is strange.

bill/cr

Most likely a corrupted temporary file that your browser has cached. Delete your temporary files (browsing history). Open 'Internet Options' on the browser, either off the Tools Menu or a cog top right on the toolbars. Find Internet Options and choose the 'Delete Browsing Histoy' and then delete all offline files. That will likely fix it.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
everything here is on Page 1 for me F.Y.I. this is post #45

Go to the Top under FORUM ACTIONS

choose Edit Profile

on the left Choose GENERAL SETTINGS

scroll down to Number of Posts to Show Per Page: Choose Show 100 posts per page

scroll down & Click SAVE CHANGES :thumbsup:

see if that helps

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I actually read this whole thread and got almost nothing out of it.
I do know for sure there was a few keyboards out there getting "angry typing"

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck it don't matter if its just a trash bag sluice with rocks n twigs for riffles, just as long as your are making concentrates and getting gold it don't matter how ya get there.

Foothills Gold

Jun 1, 2013
Marietta,S.C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read this entire thread because it mentioned a sluice I use. The martin high banker . Great sluice, great guys making them in their own shop. I have to say I don't know how all of your wives got on here and started cat fighting using your accounts ;-) Seriously guys, that's what it read and sounded like to me.... Hilarious at the least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread