Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[h=1]July 17, 2013[/h]
About 10:30 AM I started driving for the mountains, about a 4.5 hour drive. Made a few equipment stops and a friendly drive by at Hefty 1’s for some gabbing. By 5:05 PM I was assembled at the trail head and began hiking down the mountain. Hit the valley floor in 2 hours and hiked another 2 hours up river arriving at the creek side by 8:55 PM. For the most part I setup camp by headlamp. It took all I had to get here but I’m pleased to be here.

18 July
9:04 AM the first rays of sunlight creep into the camp, time to get up maybe. Simple breakfast, prepare the pack for today’s hike and get to it. I hiked up the side of the tributary staying above the creek itself as it is nothing but a jumble of boulders and can be a real ankle twister. I exit the forest next to the cliff above the creek walls, it’s now a canyon way, and take to the animal trail. It seems like I’ve hiked a long way and have seen nothing of the cut in the wall, same as last time. I reach the point where the animal trail is lost and use my safety line to drop down the steep embankment to the creek. This is Not the spot I’m looking for! I dig and pan a sample not a single flake of gold. I head back hot, tired and discouraged. I was going to stay another day but as this is the second time I’ve not found the spot I suspect an avalanche has filled it in. As the hike to return to the bottom of the main trail takes 2 hours I decide to hike back this evening. It would be good to have an entire day of relaxing panning before I take the big hike back out.

Doing the hike back up river was a tough 2 hour grind so I’m twice as glad I did it. Around 8:30 PM I’ve some serious leg cramps. The type where I thought I might pass out. After what seemed like forever they eased off. I suspect a medication mismatch and stop taking the two meds I have. No further cramping episodes.

19 July
I spend much of the day sample prospecting on the opposite side of the river, “its always greener on the other side of the road” and that is where I’ve found gold before. My first sample location yielded float gold and then stopped upon digging deeper. I went down river 150’ to my “old spot”. For grins and giggles I tested at almost the top of the bank, a historical flood plain, and found float gold like right on the surface. I then moved a few of the top most boulders from the spot I’d refilled with boulders and sampled the sands. Again, float gold. Without the proper equipment to work the site and without sound shoulders to work it with I backed away from trying to go deeper. The gold is there, how much ?? As always, the fickle finger of fate and lazy gold set the stage for “next time”.

20 July
I force myself to get up at 5:30 AM and begin stuffing things in the tent, it is cool outside and I’ve no real desire to pull my BDU’s from the bush and put them on. I dress, stop for my double portion of Oatmeal for breakfast and continue to pack. By ~ 8:20 AM the pack is on and I’m hiking up the first hill from camp. There always seems to be a first hill to start out the hiking day, never a level spot to walk for a half hour to warm up with and then go up hill, no, straight into it right off the bat! Six hours later I reach the Bonco and all is well with her. I’ve done the hike in half hour hikes and then a pack off rest break from 10 min to 30 min and once with sleep on the trail, the rocks were quite comfortable. The legs were being worked hard but they never once cramped. Found a fossil near the 6000’ level, imagine that an ocean fossil at 6000’ up in the mountains. Now the 4.5 hour drive back to “civilization”. It was HOT all the way back and air conditioning is lower the windows. A hot shower, a couple of burgers and some fresh veggie’s, pull the pack apart and go to bed. But Alas, sleep has evaded me hence, I’ve typed out this trip note.

Another successful trip: no permanent damage, no shots fired, gold found, beautiful country, bats just before nightfall, partial moon, no visitors in camp over 2” tall during the night and no breakdowns on the highway. And reached the point of using the safety line, always good to have it along! But UGH the weight. Hey but it is good for ya so tough it out……………………………63bkpkr

202_0217.JPG It will take me awhile to put the video up

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
thats the fix ive been needing for awhile!thanks! but now my cabin fever is getting ahold of me! i need todo something about it,dispit what my back is telling me!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice story telling, thanks :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing7: YAHOO HERB back in the saddle again--oops should be feets on the ground, but ,your gettn' it on again and THAT sir garners much respect after that op. Take care and tons a au 2 u 2-John :notworthy:

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's just dandy Herb, so good to see you're out and about again. Nice write-up, very easy to visualize... many thanks for sharing. :icon_thumleft:

Jim.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nice, sweet, just pluged in the battery for the TDI juices are following

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad to see your healed up enough to get back into the mountains Herb, nice color also(looks like plastic Bazooka slick plate)

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Lucky you... I always get night visitors grunting around my tent. Awesome story, thanks 63bkpkr!

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh, night visitors! There were many sounds whenever I awoke during the nights, I believe they came from banana slugs, mice and my imagination, on this trip at least. On other trips I've had Other Night Visitors that weighed several hundred pounds and really wanted my food bag. A bark or two from Mr. Sturm & Ruger usually takes care of that and the visitors leave.

I am anything but healed up, the shoulder hurts in town and it hurts "out there" and I'd rather be out there so I went. I was a good boy and did not dig down to the bottom of my pile of boulders as that would have been simply Stupid of me, I took care of the shoulder!! It was great to be out there, really got my mind off of other things. As far as I can tell that will be the last committed trip for the year as my free time is far too short however, I will be getting together with a good friend of mine on several 'close in' trips. I expect to use the motorcycle for commuting to them, I mean I have it up and running so I might just as well.

My GMT was swiftly fixed and returned by Whites, seems I lost a resistor and a capacitor. She hums just fine now and I will take her out for a few tests before the snow falls. Could be an interesting winter!

Thanks to all for your comments, glad my little trip filled some needs, I know how other folk's stories have filled my needs so the collective "we" will just keep on sharing!...............................63bkpkr

Oh, I thought it was so interesting that there was gold sitting almost right on top of the ground and if I'd taken another sample on top of the ground I suspect I would have found some there as well. It is out there!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just loaded up my new motorcycle last night and gonna go mining this am on my new toy. Funny thing is I probally couldn't even keep up with your hiking pace on a bike!! John :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
63bkpkr

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Motorcycles and Gold or Golden Moments

John,
Come on now, don't go keeping secrets what kinda machine you got?????? Pictures would be nice!! My current cycle is for the street only, used to own a Rokon many moons ago shortly after dirt was invented. Assuming yours has a shinny side, keep that one up unless of course the shiny side is on the bottom and if so keep the dull side up............................63bkpkr

Here's mine, what's yours look like (motorcycle I'm talking here)

202_0221.JPG 202_0223.JPG Year model 2000 Kawi Concours ~ 1000cc, purchased Dec. 24 1999

I've done a 600 mile day on it, at 347 miles I was willing to stop but kept going and then I needed to stop. I need a 1000 mile seat.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took pics yesterday must download-a Rokon knockoff,200 cc,6.5 hp-will post-I sold ALL my street bikes as took over 300 stitches to put my right leg back together and toooooooooooo many close calls so I just do it in the dirt--John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I took pics yesterday must download-a Rokon knockoff,200 cc,6.5 hp-will post-I sold ALL my street bikes as took over 300 stitches to put my right leg back together and toooooooooooo many close calls so I just do it in the dirt--John

Smart man!

I know the two wheelers are great fun but I lost an uncle in a motorcycle accident that would have been trivial in a car. I promised my mother (it was her brother) that I would never get on a motorcycle again myself. Do what you want folks but think of those you would leave behind too!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Herb! Glad to see you back in the saddle, sorry to hear it may be the last for the year. I can tell you had a great time and liked the "diary" presentation. BTW, you know how to find me if you want to throw that bike North for a week-ender. My season will start soon as school resumes and I can have my discoveries to myself. Thunderstorms approach...gonna go see...I missed the fireworks on the 4th:wink:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold. I wish I could get close enough to the creek on mine that would be the way to travel. Stay well and keep it between the mayo and the mustard :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread