Gold Panning for the Kiddos... gold bearing sand...
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By KevinInColorado

Thread: Gold Panning for the Kiddos... gold bearing sand...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
    144 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Gold Panning for the Kiddos... gold bearing sand...

in about a month are having an end of the summer VBS event for our youngsters at our church. It has had an old west theme... I am in charge of doing the gold panning event, I was wanting to make it as authentic as possible. I am in Texas and we don't have gold bearing sand in this area... Does anyone have any suggestions where I could get a one or two buckets full of sand to accomplish this task?

Chuck
    My Personal Metal Detecting Blog www.facebook.com/coinshooting

If you haven't tried Groupon you need to... Saves you money! http://www.groupon.com/r/uu23569530

Jan 2013
    21 times
    Check on ebay they have a lot of people selling it and it is authentic you put in gold pay dirt in search

Jan 2013
    21 times
    I've also heard that bull head creek has seen some gold don't know where you are located but you might check that out

us
    Jun 2013
    Florida
    Bounty Hunter
    22 times
    Treasure hunting, fossils, rocks, gems, outdoor adventures
    Elkie was selling some that was very reasonably priced. I ordered three pounds and my children enjoyed panning some of it. They lost a bit of interest and the rest is going with me to my classroom where my students will have a chance to try it out. It takes patience! I ordered mine on eBay. Searched Elkie and Alaskan pay dirt I believe! Super fast shipping and very nicely packaged. I know she's run into issues with government there and do not know if she is still digging anywhere and selling. But I highly recommend!

us
    Jul 2012
    Stillwater, OK
    Garrett Ace 250, 6.5x9 coil, 4.5 sniper coil, 5x8DD coil, Garrett AT Gold, Centec pinpointer, Garrett pro pointer, Ames digger.
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    Check with the GPAA. Good luck, Mike

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11214 times
    Prospecting
    Most cost effective is to make your own. Buy gold dust at your local prospecting store or online. Put a few pieces in each pan with some playground sand. It'll cost you about 1/3-1/2 less than buying pay dirt online...and lots of times all you really get is playground sand with flakes added anyway ;-)

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    7687 times
    Prospecting
    If there is a sister church (or theologically close relative) up in the Mother Lode area,
    I might try getting ahold of the Pastor and ask him to ask his members if any
    of them are prospectors, and if so do they have a gram or two of fines/flakes
    they might donate to help out a like-minded church in Texas.

Ya never know, but one of them might just cough it up for you..

Seems Kevin has the best idea, otherwise. $60 should get you plenty of
    gold to spread out in a large tub, or that you can use to salt individual
    pans for them.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

us
    Miz ... Gold Digger

Mar 2008
    Los Angeles, California
    Gold Bug Pro
    179 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Most cost effective is to make your own. Buy gold dust at your local prospecting store or online. Put a few pieces in each pan with some playground sand. It'll cost you about 1/3-1/2 less than buying pay dirt online...and lots of times all you really get is playground sand with flakes added anyway ;-)
    Kevin nailed it!

With just dust you won't have to pay shipping on a bunch of dirt. You won't have to mess with black sand; and you can be sure no one goes away disappointed. Also, you may want to order some small plastic vials.

The kids are going to love it!

us
    Feb 2010
    Eastland Texas
    Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
    144 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    thanks for all the great ideas... I knew I could count on TNET's users for some answers!

Chuck
    My Personal Metal Detecting Blog www.facebook.com/coinshooting

If you haven't tried Groupon you need to... Saves you money! http://www.groupon.com/r/uu23569530

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links