Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure how to ask this so you'll understand what I'm asking, but
here goes. This is regarding a 4 day a week, probably a full 6 months
project. Using a large Tromel, backhoe, etc.
Where does someone start in order to get the best results, less problems ?
On the upper end? which we'll call the inlet to the wash. Beginning!!!
Or the lower end ! which we'll call the outlet of the wash. End!!
Our biggest concern is any heavy rain during that 6 month time frame.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

socalocmatt

Mar 19, 2013
Corona CA
I'm no expert but I'd start toward the inlet where the wash opens up suddenly wide. Then I'd start sampling a lot prior to dedicating to any spot. I'd also look on GE to pick out any spots of interest and sample those plenty too.

Good luck!

OP
OP
G

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We are not concerned about good or bad 'spots' in the wash. is
private property & we have equipment that handles 25 tons an hour easily.
Bedrock is running 4 to 5 ft deep. Will work the benches also.
But when it rains here, this wash is like a river for a few days, And we
are concerned about running an area of the wash for a few weeks, then rain
comes & deposits gold bearing sand/dirt in the area we just worked.
The wash is fairly flat & level, but most likely will start at the upper end where
water would enter from.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you gonna process as mixed signals in post? Dry or wet. Tight canyon opens up and you get the most gold from the fan pretty close to where it opens up ie fans out as gold just don't travel that far. Doing the canyon also as should be the biggest there behind boulders,drops and/or obstructions??John

OP
OP
G

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thought I made it clear, we are using a tromel, so wet of course.
And of course, boulders & the like will be moved also.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I's start at the outlet and work your way into the wash meaning heading upstream. That way any new materials that get washed down by rain will fan out allowing the gold to drop out close to where you were at before the rain hit. Fine stuff may be washed further out but the chunky stuff should drop out quickly.

Just remember the basics of wash safety! Keep an eye on the weather and scout the entire wash with Google earth so you know what areas it drains. Any rain in those areas means out of the wash until proven safe. I'd hate to hear of you loosing the backhoe or other equipment due to stupidity.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Working your way upstream will mean your tailings are never washed down onto your workings. That's why the old timers often worked up stream.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Very good point Kev! I should have thought to mention it myself! Silly me was laughing at the latest commercial for Gold Rush instead of thinking about what I was writing at the time.

Another thought I just had here would be to make some kind of berm on the down stream end and work your way up from it. That way if the rains hit the gold in the sands you haven't had a chance to get to don't get washed off the property. You could build it up from the tailings that come out of the tromel. You're going to have to do something with them so why not turn them into a cheap insurance policy? That would take care of at least some of the waste materials.

Of course this is all speculation because we can't see the lay of the land in question. Your results may vary..... ;)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread