Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without seeing a picture, it's hard to say. I can tell you that any kind of "rubber riffle" mat would be used by it's self. The green carpet should be used with expanded metal or riffles.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Miner's moss?

34550.jpg
(GoldHog's obviously under riffles)

Vortex matting (conveyor belt matting)

mkA3F27EdGj38Y8iKHN2lRw.jpg

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry guys I don't think I've explained it well enough. It's a new product, from what Gary said. It's supposed to catch more gold then just the carpet or miners moss. I should have taken a picture of it.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What Miners moss or mat is better... I have had a few people try to sell me on the Vortex matting and I have even seen it in action and put to work though I can't say that I ran any kind of test but I put it to use on a Yuba claim recently and the gentlemen swore by it. The clean up was easy the amount of concentrates small and you could see all your gold while running it(Wasn't Much}. I am not sure if standard practice for this sluice he seemed to clean it after every 3 buckets. I honestly saw no REAL USE FOR A PRACTICAL PROSPECTOR!! But if you are for recreation I am sure it would be a HOOT. My two sluice boxes one the big keene uses the GOLD HOG and my back pack for now just the old blue carpet. forget about all these new thing am jigs and PROSPECT and I bet your gold recovery will increase and the best part it's FREE!

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What Miners moss or mat is better... I have had a few people try to sell me on the Vortex matting and I have even seen it in action and put to work though I can't say that I ran any kind of test but I put it to use on a Yuba claim recently and the gentlemen swore by it. The clean up was easy the amount of concentrates small and you could see all your gold while running it(Wasn't Much}. I am not sure if standard practice for this sluice he seemed to clean it after every 3 buckets. I honestly saw no REAL USE FOR A PRACTICAL PROSPECTOR!! But if you are for recreation I am sure it would be a HOOT. My two sluice boxes one the big keene uses the GOLD HOG and my back pack for now just the old blue carpet. forget about all these new thing am jigs and PROSPECT and I bet your gold recovery will increase and the best part it's FREE!

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rN_LnISbKI

Hey MM. I think that's what it was. I don't know where he got if from but he did say it was a new product and he had it in his sluice and swore by it. I don't really know I'm just a novice miner. But I'm open to ideas. I like the gold hog carpet and I think that will be the next up grade for better recovery. I like the video and the area looks beautiful out there where is that place?? That in the American river?? Bear river??

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is upriver of Yankee Jims Bridge. About a Quarter mile before Indian Creek.. Once you come across a gravel bar that is worked by a older man uasually in the fall winter he is now working else where but his tools ect ect are still there. That video was taken just around the gravel bar somewhere where the bedrock starts. Yesterday I took a trip to halfway between Yankee Jims and Mineral Bar long uneven walk but the day was good.. The river is the lowest in 5 years I think and I would make use of it..

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is upriver of Yankee Jims Bridge. About a Quarter mile before Indian Creek.. Once you come across a gravel bar that is worked by a older man uasually in the fall winter he is now working else where but his tools ect ect are still there. That video was taken just around the gravel bar somewhere where the bedrock starts. Yesterday I took a trip to halfway between Yankee Jims and Mineral Bar long uneven walk but the day was good.. The river is the lowest in 5 years I think and I would make use of it..
YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGp7KuBmUg4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUv-ig5HP3v0FHPfWnuFefMA

Very cool MM. I like the video and what's in the pan!! I would love to head up there this weekend but not sure if I can get away from the family this weekend. I've never been to Yankee Jim's but I'm very eager to go and explore.

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGp7KuBmUg4&feature=c4-overview&list=UUv-ig5HP3v0FHPfWnuFefMA

Hey MM. I'm heading up that way today!! Can't wait to see what's up there, let me know if your around there today. Hopefully
Thanks matt

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very cool MM. I like the video and what's in the pan!! I would love to head up there this weekend but not sure if I can get away from the family this weekend. I've never been to Yankee Jim's but I'm very eager to go and explore.

Hey MM I went up to Yankee Jim's yesterday for a short time I didn't stay long cuz my dumb self didn't bring any money with me to park!! So I left and on the way out I stop to talk to the park ranger coming in, he told me its a 75 dollar ticket if you don't pay to park just some FYI, he all told me that along of guys are prospecting between YJs and mineral bar. You probably know this already but thought I'd pass along the info as well.
I left out of YJs and headed back to town and I couldn't help myself so I grab some cash from ATM but I decided to go to Iowa hill and come down to stream like 1/4-1/2 mile and there's some interesting spots with large boulders. There was a few other guys out there, it was around 2-3 in afternoon when I got there. I set up the sluice and it a few spots but didn't have much luck, grabbed the sniper got in under some rocks and not sure what I found not much I think a flake. By then I decided to swim a few and head out. My question is, how far down should I have went or kept going farther down the river??? I'm still very new to this and wasn't sure if I was even in a good spot, that's when I need Tom Massie to be out there to give me some ideas!! What do you think?? Thanks MM

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Golden Poppy Pass is like 140 bucks and well worth it... I have just got back from an overnight trip. I am still in the slow but sure process of hiking my stuff in.. I been spending most my time past Secret ravine a mile or so. The walk is starting to wear on me.. Anyway I suggest you go out and leave the sluice box at home and do some prospecting.. pan crevicing tools small hammer some small shovel simple tools.. Walk around dig out small cracks maybe crack a few rocks sample some gravel areas always be on the move!! You are just prospecting. Stay above the water line.. and look for pockets and cracks. Leave that sluice at home. Mineral Bar Yankee Jims Pickering Bar ect ect all has good payable gold.. It just takes a little time of actual prospecting to Identify wich areas require your attention and the best way to do that is walk up and down the river over and over again and lots of sampling.. Unless you have Identified a place that averages gold there is no need for a sluice.. Find the Gold then worry about moving more material!!

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well this where I spent the last 2 days though that is not where I intend to camp it was good for a night...the smoke has seem to really set in the canyon and makin it miserable. I spent a few hours hammering away at some hard rock on my little pay line it is definitely a very stubborn rock but I managed to beat 2.5 grams out of it. Slowly but surely getting my stuff down. maybe two more trips..

OP
OP
mjarvis

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Golden Poppy Pass is like 140 bucks and well worth it... I have just got back from an overnight trip. I am still in the slow but sure process of hiking my stuff in.. I been spending most my time past Secret ravine a mile or so. The walk is starting to wear on me.. Anyway I suggest you go out and leave the sluice box at home and do some prospecting.. pan crevicing tools small hammer some small shovel simple tools.. Walk around dig out small cracks maybe crack a few rocks sample some gravel areas always be on the move!! You are just prospecting. Stay above the water line.. and look for pockets and cracks. Leave that sluice at home. Mineral Bar Yankee Jims Pickering Bar ect ect all has good payable gold.. It just takes a little time of actual prospecting to Identify wich areas require your attention and the best way to do that is walk up and down the river over and over again and lots of sampling.. Unless you have Identified a place that averages gold there is no need for a sluice.. Find the Gold then worry about moving more material!!

Where's the golden poppy pass?? I've never heard of it, is it up there in colfax??

calsierra-Dan

Jun 1, 2015
eldorado co.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Goldmonster 1000
Primary Interest:
Other
yo i have some blu matting in my keena52 works good just as good or better than carpet with ex raised metal , it does clean out well can run longer and holds fine gold CAM01713.jpg

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dude, this is an OLD thread.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is I doubt that OP is still looking for advice I a post last responded to two years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions