Gold in Maui??

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
There's no retrievable gold in island of Maui is there? I tried using a garret AT gold MD but the salt water is making me have false readings. Have to stick to the dry sand to metal detect :(.

Where's the placer gold! Maybe inside the volcano but that's a lonnnnng way down! :)

image-3461671902.jpg

Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Gold is there but they've given it a different name, they call it Tourists. Who knows, volcanic activity could spew out some gold but just where would it be????????? Best of luck and don't forget to enjoy yourself.......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Hahaha! Too funny , so true, I so wanna find some goodies in the sand.. Come on people , bring your fancy jewelry to the ocean! Lol

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No wild gold has ever been documented in the Hawaiian islands so you'll have to focus on lost jewelry...with the right detector you can even dive in salt water so get out there!

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
No wild gold has ever been documented in the Hawaiian islands so you'll have to focus on lost jewelry...with the right detector you can even dive in salt water so get out there!

Wow, that answers my question Kevin. Lol. I can never move to the islands , can't have Island fever and god fever, make a man go crazy! :)

Yes sir, I am going to keep looking, but the metal detector I borrowed From my bud is water proof, yet, NOT , made for salt water, lol. Impossible to detect. Crazy reading. If I knew this detector wasn't gonna work in the water, I woulda just brought my GP3000, lol.

Well gonna stick to the Dry sand and keep trying... Until the wifey yells at me to stop , lol

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Ok serously, what's up with all the shark attacks in Maui?!?! A 20 y o tourist girl got her arm bit off a few days ago. Maui has not seen these types of attacks supposedly. A local surfer told
Me stay out of the water when it's murky. Who knows, sure it's still rare to get bit, but sure makes you look around more than you normally would.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok serously, what's up with all the shark attacks in Maui?!?! A 20 y o tourist girl got her arm bit off a few days ago. Maui has not seen these types of attacks supposedly. A local surfer told
Me stay out of the water when it's murky. Who knows, sure it's still rare to get bit, but sure makes you look around more than you normally would.

I think the biggest risk is when the shark mistakes you for a fish so avoiding murky water sounds wise.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK KEVIN!!! Just saw a 6-7 footer!! Wtf!!!! It was 6 inches deep. OMG!! I'm out of the water this trip. Case closed.
JUST when you thought it was safe to go back in the water! They should never have made Jaws! TTC

Last edited:
OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
JUST when you thought it was safe to go back in the water! hey should never have made Jaws! TTC

Yo TC... It was crazy, trying to get the video. Show u. Amazing how fast and agile they are in only a foot of water. The whole resort ran to the beach, totally a scene from Jaws... Wowsers

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've spent lots of time diving with sharks around but caution is a good thing ;)

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I did some great diving off Oahu, In the water You are part of the food chain, and you aren't at the top anymore. I just kept my head on a swivel. Saw eels, sea turtles, and millions of fish, in crystal clear warm water. Saw 2 sharks and so I swam near the bottom going the other way. I was done for the day.
Glad you had some fun Scott.
I was trying to find a stream when I was there and check it for gold, but I found out all the watershed areas are off limits to people to protect the water supply. So I was just a tourista with a rented Suzuki. Went back to diving every day.

Last edited:

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Richard you have the best stories brotha. Hope all is well with you !!

It is all I can do to maintain an even strain. My adult children still live at home. Don't get me wrong I love them dearly, but they need higher paying jobs and need to move out on their own. I didn't prepare to support them forever. I wanted them to support me. I need more me time at my age.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharks move inland in packs every summer. Maybe mating and feeding. I saw huge schools of sharks off mustang island texas every summer. miami the same thing. In miami they don't talk much about it because it will scare the tourists away.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Sharks move inland in packs every summer. Maybe mating and feeding. I saw huge schools of sharks off mustang island texas every summer. miami the same thing. In miami they don't talk much about it because it will scare the tourists away.

Yes, we have been asked to exit the water now 3 times in 4 days, and I have personally seen 2 large sharks now. Something is def going here right now. Amazing creatures, but can be scary when the surprise you. I'm also learning there are ALOT of shark sittings and bites that you will not hear about for tourist reasons.

Hey the ocean is there world.. I'm just visiting, lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread