vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
If no one responds - you might consider leaving a request on Sub-Forums: Wyoming for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.)...

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm leaving in 2 weeks from Ca. to travel to Yellowstone going up the 15 FWY. Does anyone know of any areas to sluice or metal detect on this route
or even a little ways off it? Thanks
There's flour gold in the Snake River along your route. You'll be driving near the river from Blackfoot, ID to Idaho Falls. There are access points for fishing you can use to go prospecting. Once you're at the river, you can walk along the river regardless of private property...In Idaho, the riverbanks, below the high water line, belong to the public. One access point is near the town of Firth. Firth is 5 or 6 miles east of I-15. Ask locally how to get to the river, and somebody will give you directions.
Also, if you get off the freeway at the south I.F. exit, and then go south on County Line Rd, you'll cross the river at some point, and can go down by the bridge to get to the river. There is no gold except for the very fine flour type. The detector won't pick it up.
Along the North (Henry's) Fork of the Snake, which you'll be driving along from I.F to St. Anthony, there is no gold as far as I know. If you travel from I.F. to Jackson, Wy, and head into the Park from the south, the Snake River (South Fork) from I.F. to Jackson has the same flour gold, and was mined the entire route in the old days, including bench deposits. There are access points above Conant Valley, and between Alpine Wy, and Jackson, in the canyon stretch.
Jim

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread