Garnets?

SDGold

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garnets.jpg

I did a little sampling last weekend and I found all these stones in 1 unprocessed bucket. I believe these are garnets? Are they worth anything in their rough form or would it be worth it to have them faceted into jewels?

Upvote 0

Golden-1

Sep 8, 2013
Bieber Ca
Detector(s) used
my eyes work just fine.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
depends on how rare or common they are that is all the info i really have wish i had more info for you...i think they would be worth saving for sure tho they look really cool.

OP
OP
S

SDGold

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
San Diego
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah I found them on the SPMA club claim in the Pine Valley area. Tons of black sand too, most I have ever seen in 1 bucket. Material is too wet right now to process with the drywasher. I had to dry out the samples on a tarp for a day to run them through. A recirc sluice would rule, but I don't have one! At least I know where to dig now!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice little garnets!

Garnets are fairly common in most areas of the US, and the larger
ones can be used/sold for jewelry, but that all depends on the
quality of the stones themselves.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey SDGold,

For the most part Garnets are not worth all that much unless you find a rare type/color. I used to live/prospect in the Ramona area and found the plain ones all the time. A good quality yellow or green garnet can be worth more than an equal sized diamond.

The Area I live in now has Garnets out the wazoo! On average I would get 30-40 pepper corn sizes ones in a 5 gallon bucket of materials out of our wash. I have yet to find a single one at our new dig area. 100 miles makes a lot of difference in the geology.

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread