63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was your black sand found along with gold? If so there is a group of folks that keep black sand and at a later date they reprocess it to remove really small gold from it. If you were not finding gold along with the black sand then it might not be worth saving. I think one method of checking is to heat say one cup of the black sand in an OLD fry pan, not Mama's brand new Chef's pan, and with hand/arm/body/face/eye protection as well as being outside while doing this, pour the really hot black sand into cold water.

The shock of hitting the cold water is supposed to crack the black sand releasing fine gold then the panning or using a 'finishing' sluice begins or a blue bowl.

Best of success with this..................63bkpkr

OP
OP
G

Golden-1

Sep 8, 2013
Bieber Ca
Detector(s) used
my eyes work just fine.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
awesome thank you for the information it was found with small flakes so i will just keep saving it for a while :thumbsup:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Saving black sand takes very little room, and as said above, it holds gold..
..it might be too small to easily see, but it's there and can be removed
with a miller table, blue bowl or other type of fine gold system.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Save them up Golden!!!! Believe it or not there's actually a market for them even if they don't have gold in them. Target shooters love to use it to fill shooting rests for their rifles as well as some other uses for them.

I'm not sure of your experience level ( You sound new to the game. No offense ) so I'll keep some other methods of extracting gold from black sands to myself for right now.

Jeff

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any black sand anymore. I sold all of mine. I sold the amount that would fit in a small flat rate box for anywhere from $8.00 to $12.00, with buyer paying the shipping. It would be a little over 5 lbs. of black sand, and stated in my auctions that I had panned out all the gold I could see, but had not put it voer a table or through a bowl.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's also used by some spas as a heated sand for therapies...they will pay too!

Just sell on Craig's list or ebay: only the magnetic sand of course, non mag is often lead or silver or other oxidized metallics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread