goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
That would depend on the type of mine Golden. A surface mine can have its hazards with sudden drops, loose rocks etc. but a "Tunnel" mine is a death trap. Many tunnel mines were abandoned not because they played out, but other reasons like Ground water, gas, cave ins etc.

I know it's very tempting to go in and check them out, but doing so is like playing Russian Roulette. Sooner or later you're going to loose! No amount of gold is going to be worth your life. There are old miners and foolish ones. You just won't find any old foolish ones.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You would stand a better chance finding values in the taillings down slope of the portal anyway.

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would test around the entrance to see if you can find any color... Don't go exploring inside though :P If there's a river or stream right next to it than that would be something to look into as well. Just take samples & test pan areas. Make sure you know which dirt came from where..

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
better do somemore investigation on ownership before you do ANYTHING!check the county register and also see if anyone is paying taxs on this property.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ya start with a test of the material pulled out of the mine. They always had tailing piles not far from the entrance. If it shows color Place a claim on it if it's not private land. If you can claim it you have a lot of work ahead like shoring up the tunnel, testing the air, and metal detecting. Those guys swinging minelabs have found the veins just barely missed by the miners. So thinking they had played out the mine they would leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions