Thought I would share...

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I'm guilty of looking at all of the pretty pictures of gold on the forum, so I'd thought I'd share this find below. Wish I could say I dug it up or panned it, but I did mine the back of a filthy dark garage at an estate sale and found it in a box of rocks. Nothing excites a person like finding gold, no matter the circumstances.

This is 2 and 1/2 regular (not troy) ounces, 72 grams of specimen gold in quartz. Some of the gold is rose colored, I guess from copper, which is also shown in this rock. I also got some form of a gold mold, which is over in the whatsit forum. I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum, but I hope you enjoy the pictures, as I have enjoyed those of yours.

012.JPG 007.JPG

Upvote 0

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congrats! But I have to ask. Are you sure it's gold? Looks a lot like an iron sulfide. Chalcopyrite.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DesertNuggets, how would one go about determining what it is chemically, mechanically, etc.?

I would start by taking a sharp knife to some of the 'gold' to see if it cuts or shatters. If it shatters it is not gold. If it cuts that is a good sign.

Regardless of what the results turn out to be it is one neat looking sample with all the "right stuff", quartz and that great golden color! Let us know what the knife test shows and be careful of your fingers when testing the sample! Thank you for sharing..................63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread