Interesting Gold

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been taking some closeups of some of the smaller pieces of gold I find that have some character to them so here they are! The first one looks like a whale :tongue3:
. IMGP0174.JPG IMGP0179.JPG IMGP0162.jpg

Also today I found a couple that I thought were rocks at first because they were black. But they were at the bottom of my pan with the rest of the gold so I bit them to see if they would break and when I looked at them again gold was showing through. So if you have little black rocks at the end of your pan that don't move bite them! Or scrape them with something sharp if you don't want to break your teeth lol. Here's pics of the ones that tried disguising themselves as rocks..
IMGP0180.JPG IMGP0175.JPG

Anyone else find gold encased in black stuff? Or anyone know what causes it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds!!! I have heard of so called "Black" nuggets. Vinegar should clean them up and make them shine.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And use a tool other than your teeth for this test!

bug

Jun 5, 2008
Nor Cal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N8 That is a good question. It is interesting why some deposits of gold have this affinity to manganese. It can be found on pocket gold and placer nuggets.

Attachments

• ancient.jpg
    ancient.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 107
OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah and it's kind of weird how I'm only finding it on a certain part of the creek. Haven't found too much of anything like it anywhere else.. Looks like you've got a lot of it on yours bug!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions