Anyone near Poland, Indiana have any luck?

Sep 17, 2013
Well I just started panning this year around where i live in Clay county. Ive been panning by eel river and a few small creeks. But ive only found 3-4 colors a pan in eel river. I dug about 3 ft down on a bend of the river. I found a few good colors per pan i did. But I dont really know what to look for down here in my area. So if any one got some tips. That would be awesome.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - I noticed this is your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - While you are waiting for a response - if you haven't already7 - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Indiana for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey panner, I don't want to come across as being negative, but, don't expect to find much gold in Indiana. The only gold I have found has been from Gatesville over in Brown County. According to the geology department at IU, Indiana gold came by way of the glaciers thousands of years ago. In the 3 years I've been doing it I've only found something like 1 gram, but I haven't weighed it. I don't even get enough gold to pay for the gas it takes to run my pump, and trommel motor, when I use it. It's all for fun for me. Check out our club website: Untitled

OP
OP
P
Sep 17, 2013
I understand that theres not alot of gold here. Ive read all about it and the survey's. But im just doing it for fun also.

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a hoosier as well. There is plenty of gold to be found all over Indiana. There was actually an article about gold mining in Indiana in the ICMJ a few years ago. To find decent gold in Indiana you need to look for 2 things. 1st is moraine deposits where the glaciers dumped their rocks. They are scattered all over Indiana and can be located with a quick google search for Indiana moraine map. The 2nd thing to look for are areas where the bedrock is close to the surface. The areas with glacial till hundreds of feet thick are not very productive. All along the Wabash river you can find gold. You may not get rich gold mining in Indiana but there are folks who find a few grams a day on a regular basis. That's way more than a few flakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions