Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
THE ROAD IS CLOSED

With the stroke of a pen, Susan Skalski, Stanislaus National Forest Supervisor closed hundreds of thousands of acres of public lands under the name of “public safety”. The roads she closed were not a part of the rim fire; they are not part of the clean-up efforts and are not being used by USFS for any fire activity. Some of the roads are well over 10 miles from where the fire burned....
The impact of generically closing roads is felt by many. Gold clubs, off road enthusiasts, claim owners and small miners who mine for a living, hunters who just purchased tags to hunt in these areas, hikers, fishermen and women, those who love the forest are all locked out of their own lands. Public lands are owned by the public, are for the public and those stewards of the forests are public employees. Coulterville, Greeley Hill, Groveland and many small communities rely on the income they receive from these outdoor enthusiasts to support their own families. Just the dredge moratorium has devastated many of the local business, now the closure of roads hits them hard after over a month of limited tourism from the Rim fire closures during the fire.
Many, including AMRA (American Mining Rights Association) own claims out in Bull Creek and Halls Gulch. These are accessed by Bryceburg road, 15 miles from where the fire was and the claims cannot off limits with this road closure. Calls to Ms. Skalski are not returned and her assistant spoke of 12 calls in opposition to the road closures eve though hundreds of our members, hunters, off roaders and gold club members have called to voice their opposition to the blanket closing of public lands. Ms. Skalski comes from the EPA and prior to that, she was an environmental activist for dating back to the 1980’s. We understand the need to clean up a fire and the need to keep certain roads clear in the name of public safety is certainly understandable. What is not understood is why entire sections of public lands were closed which had no connection to the Rim Fire, nor any connection to the cleanup of the Rim Fire. According to the order Ms. Skalski signed, the penalty for driving one on of these public roads is a $5,000 fine for an individual, $10,000 for a business and jail time of up to 6 months. These are questions Ms. Skalski is not answering.
Susan Skalski can be reached at: (209) 532-3671 if you would like to voice your opinion on these blanket road closures.
American Mining Rights Association

Upvote 0

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start the Impeachment process, that seems to get the right folks attention lately.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SIC SIC SIC CRAPPOLA-any bloody stinkn' excuse to close anything,everytime anywhere anything happens and don't even have to be close. I've ranted for years about these assinine lil'forest kings who pontificate closures from high above us mere mortals. We just got our idjet replaced and you can too. Plenty of phone calls to fs/supervisors,senators and congressmen will run that stinkn' :censored: idjet outta there,so totally uncalled for. Thanx much Oakview and 0-nyet-natha mention anywhere else on any form of media,just yet another kept quiet illegal takings :BangHead: John

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
You hit it right on the head. Non elected, appointed kings and queens who think they are not touchable. AMRA has two senators pounding on her, now we need the folks with claims and the deer hunters to raise some hell.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say let's just line them all up and shoot them for the crime of theft of public lands. ...Then again I wouldn't want to dirty my bullets or arrows!!!!

Time for a major recall guys and gals! When Detroit has a problem with a car they recall it so the problem can be fixed. Well the American People are finding a lot of problems with these petty appointees, so it's time they were recalled or sold for scrap!

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wrote the following to little miss muffet.

Recently read about your road closures. About your lies about the amount of people who opposed it. Looks like you are ticking off the wrong people. I bet you don't have a good scientifically backed reason for the closures either do you? Don't for get that these are PUBLIC lands and the public doesn't like what you have been up to.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Absolute truck and transfer load of horses--t!!!!!! This is exactly what the FS and Sierra Pacific has done in my area, consequently the closures started after our last big fire. Our community banded together and offered (begged) to pay for road maintenance and do yearly cleanups, as this is our only way out should a fire come up from the valley/lower foothills. No way, they say they will have reps responding to the incident that would be able to open the road. Pure BS, whomever from the valley would have to drive a quarter way around the northern Sierras to come in from the backside to help us- by then it would be to late. Sorry for your loss down there, don't think your gonna see them roads open anytime soon. Dexpan?

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep calling and e-mailing we are making progress

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's things like this that are making me believe the eco's are starting alot of these fires. We are beating them back in many area, so it's kinda like if they can't have it, then nobody will. Remember the Earth Liberation Front and The Animal Liberation Front?

Earth Liberation Front - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ELF was classified as the top "domestic terror" threat in the United States by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in March 2001,and its members are categorized as "eco-terrorists". On the lack of deaths from ELF attacks, the FBI's deputy assistant director for counterterrorism has said, "I think we're lucky. Once you set one of these fires they can go way out of control." The name came to public prominence when they were featured on the television show 60 Minutes in 2005.

Animal Liberation Front - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2005 the ALF was included in a United States Department of Homeland Security planning document listing a number of domestic terrorist threats on which the U.S. government expected to focus resources.
[SUP]

Letter sent to my Congress critters asking for her resignation.[/SUP]

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting Involved means US

I would like to see a list of the clubs, groups, volunteers, etc. that she indicated helped with the work of planning this "road to the future".

Seems to me that people need to stop their bickering, group together and fan the flames of our needs so it burns out the incumbent appointed or elected ones that are creating this mess. Just grumbling about it on Tnet will see it ALL GONE before long!

Then we need to police our own activities to make certain that "we are not part of the problem and are a part of the solution", IMHO.

Oakview2, thank you for bringing this to the groups attention as the Media certainly is not..................................63bkpkr

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back hurts today so pen,calls and emails all day to these insideous ecofreaks and bureauratz- ALWAYS RESPECTFULLY AS CUSSN' RANTN' AND RAVN' JUST MAKES IT WORSE. Show me the proof,studies,facts,figures and WHO is her boss---and her bosses boss also as the farther up the ladder just might matter-John :BangHead:

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
She is the big cheese and her immediate supervisor is in DC. She actually showed up at the BAER meeting in Sonora last night. You may need to call your congressman in order to get her cage rattled.

AMRA was at the meeting in full force and gave this account

[h=5]American Mining Rights Association[/h]9 hours ago

The woman in the picture is Susan Skalski at tonight's meeting. We had an opportunity to address her and the road closures, publicly in front of about 70 to 80 people. Then she came to us for a more private conversation.

This is what I stated: We appreciate the hard work by the firefighters in putting out the Rim Fire and had a front row seat for it, they work harder than us miners. I stated AMRA represents several thousand small miners, hunters, fishermen and women, hike...rs and off road enthusiasts. We understand the need to clean up a fire and we understand the need for public safety, however, here is an example of an area where we would like to know tonight why it was closed. Here is just one example and this may be more directed at Susan Skalski. Bull Creek Road, from Bower Cave to Bryceburg was not burned by the fire, is not threatened now by the fire, is not a part of the BAER team activities and is not being used by any USFS personnel for the Rim Fire. Some of the areas which were closed are 12 miles from where the fire was. Economically, many businesses feel the impact and with hunting season literally in a few days, they can't hunt the areas to which they purchased tags for. Why are these areas of Public Lands closed to the Public?

Ms. Skalski stated she was aware of AMRA and all of my calls and made a reference that I've probably been calling the Sheriff's dept, Fish and Game and others. She said they are having a meeting tomorrow to discuss this area and these road closures because of AMRA and it is probable they will reopen these roads.

I interjected and asked how long/when the roads will be reopened and she stated if it happens, in a few days.

As we were leaving, Ms. Skalski approached us at the elevator for a one on one conversation. We stated we have an awful lot of people who are waiting for our information from tonight's meeting and we would like to tell them the roads are going to be opened, because if they are not, the meeting in Groveland (another BAER meeting Sept. 23rd) will have several hundred angry miners there demanding they be reopened. Ms. Skalski said the determination could be as early as Monday.

I told Ms. Skalski she will call me Monday to inform us on her decision so as to stem the tide of miners who would converge on this meeting.

While this meeting went very well, we must be patient for a few more days. There is zero reason for this area to be closed, and I sincerely believe after speaking with numerous USFS personnel (they knew we were coming and had certain people prepared to speak to us) and Ms. Skalski directly, they will reopen the roads.

We will keep you posted as soon as we hear back from Ms. Skalski. By the way, she was polite and professional, so were we.

S & BSee More

Last edited:

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well if we happen to find out that she was lying through her teeth I say we start climbing the ladder until we get her skinny a$$ fired or relieved from duty.

There is/was no need to close that area as it has been stated and if for some reason it remains closed, I feel that those that had purchased deer tags for that area should be given a refund by fish and game since it was closed after the tags were purchased. We all know that California is hurting for cash and having to give back funds because of her actions wouldn't go very well with them.

OP
OP
Oakview2

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got a call from Jerry Byrd, and it appears our comments and phone calls are making a difference. The Superintendant is motivated to open up the areas she previously closed. A meeting will be held this afternoon, and after the USFS lawyer signs off, the unburned and unaffected areas will be opened up. I urge folks to keep up the pressure on and keep their feet to the fire... Thanks to Shannon and all that called and e-mailed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread