Who knows Placerville? Trip planned...
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Who knows Placerville? Trip planned...

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Who knows Placerville? Trip planned...

Howdy all...

I've got a trip planned to visit my folks who live up near Oregon. After visiting for a week or so my Dad and I will be taking a road trip from there down to see my hometown of Placerville-- I haven't been there since I was about 14 (mid 70's). Word has it the area is crawling with people now and my favorite wilderness areas are now suburban neighborhoods. The old reservoir is filled in, the big pine's been cut, grandparents' place burned down, and the horse left the barn. Still, we're going and will spend some time inspecting old haunts and reminiscing. Anybody know about museums? Historical Society? Mining displays? How about places to detect or go gold panning? We'll be there about early/ mid October, probably not longer than a day-- one of those 'bucket list' things. Any/ all help appreciated!
    "...and then I will finally be able to take over the world!"
    - Brain, in 'Pinky and the Brain'

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

us
    Aug 2008
    Alabama
    1049 times
    Prospecting
    Placerville California ........ maybe you could holler at Pgoldvillehunterwasher for some advice
    in that area of the state . He might help you out on a place out there ................... might not .
    Want hurt nothing to ask .

Pardon ! " Goldwasher " ! I meant to say Goldwasher !

Sorry dude ........ poker game went long last night .

lab rat and Oakview2 like this.
    " A man should look for what is , and not for what he thinks should be ". Albert Einstein

Charter Member
    us
    Fly Navy!

Jun 2008
    York County, PA (USA) Brevard County, FL (USA)
    14110 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    lab rat - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: California for information...
    lab rat likes this.
    .:: We SaluteOur Veterans ::.

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 7th, 1790)
    ..: Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office :..

.:: Rules and Guidelines ::.
    .:: NOTICE - You must be a Charter Member to sell on Treasure Net (Forum: Charter Member Classifieds) - NOTICE ::.
    "...not my circus, not my monkeys..."

us
    Apr 2013
    Placerville, CA
    33 times
    Prospecting
    Deleted.

us
    Coil Swinger

Jan 2011
    El Dorado County
    Minelab
    660 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    If your up for a hike and some au hunting check the red shack trail off hwy49.
    lab rat likes this.
    Will work for gold dust.

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times
    Thanks for the input! Checking out Gold Bug Park and possibly the fairgrounds for the county museum seems to be in order. Don't know if we'll get to hike but that's something my Dad loves to do, so I'll investigate for info on the trail. I'm looking forward to this trip!

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

Charter Member
    us
    Jim Bowers

Mar 2013
    Hendricksville Indiana
    475 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by vpnavy View Post
    lab rat - you might consider browsing Sub-Forums: California for information...
    How does a person get into these sub-forums?

us
    Apr 2013
    Placerville, CA
    33 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydolittle View Post
    Don't worry no one posts there. Lol. It is at the very bottom of the forum topics.
    Last edited by medic7a; Sep 20, 2013 at 07:04 PM.

May 2012
    nevada
    1526 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydolittle View Post
    medic7a is right - very little additional info in calif sub-forum. Just click on red highlighted words to get there, if you're curious.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12001 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    When are you going ?

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwasher View Post
    When are you going ?
    Leaving this weekend, but I don't know what day we'll be passing through Hangtown. Probably between the 8th and the 13th, but not sure. We're only going to spend one day there. Not even bringing my detector. Gold pan, MAYbe...

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

us
    Mar 2003
    Redding,Calif.
    6667 times
    Bank of America in Placerville has a decent safe fulla some righteous samples.Go to ICMJ.com as a couple a issues back was the info for mine tour in Placerville. In Auburn Courthouse there is a decent museum with a MUCH bigger gold exhibit inside a huge safe inside also. Pioneer mining has downsized and relocated to High street I believe-GPAA.ICMG mag has info as keene dealer and mags too. Nice drive between hangtown and auburn on hi way 49 and takes you tthrough the Auburn Recreation area. Decent gold at Drivers Flats off the divide or outta Cool left Slager mine road-through spanish flats down to Cherokee bar also-but that road 4 x 4-John

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12001 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Gold has not been at the B of A for a few years now...the owner had them removed late 2009 or so for security reasons .If you hit the river along 49 to Auburn you will find color just panning the water will be lowest in the afternoon your best bet is to clean a crack or two that look like they spend some time underwater.Other than that with limited time most other places will take all your time to get to. Sliger mine rd. isn't 4x4 but, not recommended for low clearance...I've done it in my Baja bug no problem it is bumpy and on the weekend there is more traffic. Recent rains may have left some puddles, and slick spots. If you only have a partial day hit up the Hardware store in town and then ask for directions to Gold Bug park, you will enjoy both. I sent you a P.M. if you woulda responded I could have taken you out and made sure you got color....
    lab rat and kuger like this.

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times
    I'm back!!! Thanks all for the friendly replies and suggestions. Didn't get to do any prospecting, but got to spend a full day and a half in Placerville with a short side trip to the Sutter's Mill park. Saw the museum downtown plus the one at the Fairgrounds, and also spent the better part of a day at Gold Bug Park. My Dad was pretty tired so he didn't take any of the trails as I had hoped, but I saw the stamp mill & blacksmith shop. Talked with a few historians and also had a great time driving around, looking at some of the houses we lived in over the years past. My Dad tried looking up an old friend but the name in the phonebook was not the same person-- I think he was pretty disappointed. Still it was a great trip. We had a lot of fun reminiscing and walking down Main Street. It was like stepping back in time.
    Goldwasher likes this.

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

May 2003
    Sunny Southern CA Coast
    Minelab Sovereign
    131 times
    Sorry Goldwasher! I must have missed your reply or P.M. somehow. Truth is, my Dad isn't much into prospecting at all so I didn't push him into it, but I'd like to get back there someday soon and if I do we'll see if we can't meet up! Thanks for the thoughts.

-- Rattus Labyrinthicus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links