Maps That Show Mines? (More than topo maps)

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey everyone, just trying to add to my resources for info. Anyone know of any maps out there that show where more mines are? Or is a topographic map as good as it gets? I know there has to be more mines out there than what the topographic shows. I'm sure there's probably records on mines out there somewhere if there isn't a map.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See if you can find old Transportation maps from your dept. of transportation or libraries.
Maybe even online like here..

Some mines are listed on1940's Pennsylvania Transportation Maps.
Of course these are Coal mines, & I'm not sure if your just interested in
19th. Century mines

Untitledkk.jpg

caprock

Aug 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old California Division of Mines and Geology county reports often have good maps, as do many other geologic reports, also take a look at BLM original township survey maps, they often show old workings (available on line).
good luck

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
N8....

Not exactly maps per se but another great source of info is Mineralogy Database - Mineral Collecting, Localities, Mineral Photos and Data They show locations for mines, minerals etc. Free to join and use. I used it a lot while researching the areas around Greaterville, AZ and I now have a"book" on that area. If you need tips and trick for the site just let me know and I'll be glad to help.

There is also the Footprint map sets. So far to the best of my knowledge they only have one area of California finished and on the market, but their selection of areas in Arizona is outstanding. They're working on more sections in Cali but it takes time to research and publish all the info these sets contain. They show claims, mines (both working and abandoned) geology, deposit maps etc etc etc. I know the gent that does them so let me know what area you're interested in and I'll see what I can find out for ya. Everything comes on a CD-ROM so you can access all the info in the field on a laptop. Here's the link.... What is a FootPrint ?

Jeff

EDIT: Just found this and though you might be interested: http://www.arizonaoutback.com/azoroot/shop/item.aspx/hystware-mines-and-minerals/233/

Last edited:

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an app called diggers map that works with google earth. It's worked well for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread