Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes...just a couple few miles south of there. There s a public panning/sluicing park on Clear Creek just west of where the creek goes under I-70. This is just a couple blocks north of the Youngsfield Street exit on I-70. You can park on the south side of the creek just west of the freeway - check it out on google maps. Gold is guaranteed if you walk at least a few hundred feet up the recreational path before dropping down to the creek. No digging in the south bank of the creek, best gold is in mid creek where the water action naturally washes the lighter sand away...move the cobbles aside and dig! The other nice thing for a November visit is that this spot is just downstream from the Coors plant. They use the stream water for cooling in the plant so the water is about 60 degrees all winter!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gene Slater

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Any other productive creeks around and once again Kevin thank you sir. I will post pictures of the trip when I get back.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure, Ralston creek in Arvada was the site of one of the first gold strikes in CO and they allow manual prospecting. Clear Creek thru Adams county is good, same rules but look on the county assessor's website for either county to make sure you are on county open space land. Taking gold from private land without permission is theft! The South Platte thru metro Denver also has gold...as do most waterways. Get out there and sample the creeks near you!

...but as a visitor, the easy way is to go to the panning park. The recent floods will have completely refreshed and changed it so I am looking forward to visiting soon myself.

Last edited:

Leonard F.

Feb 11, 2013
Arvada, CO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I rode my bike on the bike path up Ralston Creek today, over to Golden and down the path along Clear Creek. Clear Creek is still absolutely ripping, especially at the panning/sluicing park near I-70. I'm sure it'll be back to normal in November, and I'm really curious to see what these floods have done in terms of bringing more placer gold into the waterways.

OP
OP
Gene Slater

Gene Slater

Nov 12, 2012
Thanks Leonard....me to. Really hoping things go back to normal around there! Kevin...dumb question here. I have a small sluice box. Can you legally use a sluice box there?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, a sluice is ok. Also electric pumps are ok but NO gasoline/diesel/etc engines.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hell, rus, bring it and Ill bring the beer?
uh, ya! I know just where to go with that big yellow machine! And did I mention I'm a craft brewer so when I say I'll bring the beer, I mean I'll BRING the beer!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread