Westminster Denver
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By KevinInColorado

Thread: Westminster Denver

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Nov 2012
    17 times

Westminster Denver

Actually found out where in Denver im heading to in early November(2ndish). Heading to Westminster. Any deceny panning close by for a greenie like me? Any info appreciated. Bringing a pan,small sluice and a metal detector. Im use to finding very little gold in east Tennessee. Any help is appreciated!

Geno

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10545 times
    Prospecting
    Yes...just a couple few miles south of there. There s a public panning/sluicing park on Clear Creek just west of where the creek goes under I-70. This is just a couple blocks north of the Youngsfield Street exit on I-70. You can park on the south side of the creek just west of the freeway - check it out on google maps. Gold is guaranteed if you walk at least a few hundred feet up the recreational path before dropping down to the creek. No digging in the south bank of the creek, best gold is in mid creek where the water action naturally washes the lighter sand away...move the cobbles aside and dig! The other nice thing for a November visit is that this spot is just downstream from the Coors plant. They use the stream water for cooling in the plant so the water is about 60 degrees all winter!
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Sep 22, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
    Fullpan, Rawhide, lastleg and 2 others like this.

Nov 2012
    17 times
    Excellent! Thank you!

Nov 2012
    17 times
    Any other productive creeks around and once again Kevin thank you sir. I will post pictures of the trip when I get back.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10545 times
    Prospecting
    Sure, Ralston creek in Arvada was the site of one of the first gold strikes in CO and they allow manual prospecting. Clear Creek thru Adams county is good, same rules but look on the county assessor's website for either county to make sure you are on county open space land. Taking gold from private land without permission is theft! The South Platte thru metro Denver also has gold...as do most waterways. Get out there and sample the creeks near you!

...but as a visitor, the easy way is to go to the panning park. The recent floods will have completely refreshed and changed it so I am looking forward to visiting soon myself.
    Last edited by KevinInColorado; Sep 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM.

Nov 2012
    17 times
    Thanks again!

us
    Feb 2013
    Arvada, CO
    15 times
    Prospecting
    I rode my bike on the bike path up Ralston Creek today, over to Golden and down the path along Clear Creek. Clear Creek is still absolutely ripping, especially at the panning/sluicing park near I-70. I'm sure it'll be back to normal in November, and I'm really curious to see what these floods have done in terms of bringing more placer gold into the waterways.

Nov 2012
    17 times
    Thanks Leonard....me to. Really hoping things go back to normal around there! Kevin...dumb question here. I have a small sluice box. Can you legally use a sluice box there?

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10545 times
    Prospecting
    Yes, a sluice is ok. Also electric pumps are ok but NO gasoline/diesel/etc engines.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4435 times
    sooo i guess my D-10 Cat would be out of the question also........... boy, your no fun!

Nov 2012
    17 times
    Hell, rus, bring it and Ill bring the beer?

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    10545 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Slater View Post
    Hell, rus, bring it and Ill bring the beer?
    uh, ya! I know just where to go with that big yellow machine! And did I mention I'm a craft brewer so when I say I'll bring the beer, I mean I'll BRING the beer!

Sponsored Links