Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Gold Wears An Iron Hat

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Oct 2011
    520 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Gold Wears An Iron Hat

I have heard this old saying "Gold wears an iron hat".....Implying that where one finds iron (acidic soils) gold may be close by..

Has anyone also heard this and what truths are there.....Thanks in advance to all..
    NuggetN8, Aufisher and Assembler like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cariboo5 View Post
    I have heard this old saying "Gold wears an iron hat".....Implying that where one finds iron (acidic soils) gold may be close by.. Has anyone also heard this and what truths are there.....Thanks in advance to all..
    Not entirely sure on that one but I do know that in a creek iron usually ends up in the same general area as gold since they're both heavy. I think that finding the two in the same area is just a geological thing. If you look at what types of metals have been found in mines it's different in different areas.
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    DetectorProspector.com

Apr 2005
    Reno, Nevada
    Fisher Gold Bug 2; Minelab GPZ 7000, CTX 3030; Makro Gold Racer; Garrett ATX; White's DFX/BigFoot; XP Deus
    958 times
    Prospecting
    From The Mineral Kingdom by Reinhard Brauns:

When the overlying rocks have been removed by denudation, a mineral-vein will become exposed to the action of weathering processes, and several secondary minerals, which are not present in the deeper portions of the vein, will be formed. By the action of water containing oxygen and carbonic acid in solution the original minerals of the vein will be decomposed, a portion of their material being removed in solution, and another portion giving rise to compounds which are stable under the new conditions nearer the surface.

Thus with iron compounds, such as iron-pyrites, the decomposition will result in the formation of limonite: metallic ores of copper will be altered to malachite, chessylite, cuprite and native copper; lead ores to cerussite and anglesite. These secondary minerals are those mentioned at the commencement of this section as the associates of the metallic ores. They are especially characteristic of the upper or oxidized portions of mineral-veins; and as iron is often a common constituent, they are usually much mixed with limonite (brown iron-ore). For this reason the outcrop of a lode at the earth’s surface has usually a rusty and cellular appearance, and this ferruginous capping of the lode is known to the German miners as the “eiserner Hut” (iron hat) and to Cornish miners as the gossan. In this connection may be quoted an English equivalent of an old German saying:

“A lode that wears no iron hat
    is never likely to be fat".
    Find me at DetectorProspector.com

ca
    Oct 2011
    520 times
    Thanks Steve.....Excellent information..
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Mar 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Gold Bug 2
    177 times
    Prospecting
    Gold wears and iron hat.

Early miners found gold deposits by looking for iron caps also known as a gossan.

Edit: oops. I see this was already answered. Opened this before I left earlier.
    NuggetN8, Aufisher and davin like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    5429 times
    I always heard it as "Gold rides an iron horse"
    Last edited by Jason in Enid; Apr 06, 2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: me spell rong
    Aufisher likes this.

Feb 2008
    581 times
    I was fortunate to be shown three 'hats' in Colorado more than 20 years ago. My explorer b/in/law took
    me up on San Juan Mt to see a sheepherders monument, the gossans and a bristlecone pine. The hats
    were from 10-25 feet in height. You could find iron stained crystals at their bases.

Then later I took a friend up too early in the year and got hip deep in snow without getting to them. Few
    years later we tried again and the doggone road was not even there. We climbed on around in my trusty
    landcruiser up the slope finally gaining the summit but the hats were gone. We saw evidence of dozer
    tracks but I still wonder what that miner found.
    NuggetN8 and Aufisher like this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting
    Thank you for making this post!! Just remembered something
    Aufisher likes this.

au
    Ray

Jun 2013
    Batemans Bay NSW AU
    Minelab Excalibur II ...Minelab SDC2300... Minelab CTX3030 and for the missus a Garrett AT Pro.
    49 times
    Prospecting
    ..over here we have a saying on the gold fields..'gold rides the iron maiden'.....all means the same just slightly different saying.
    Aufisher likes this.
    Ray
    "...it's better to have it and not need it.....then to need it and not have it..."

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, bench top rod mill, Whippet drywasher
    8561 times
    Prospecting
    And the old saying in Colorado is "gold rides an iron horse" ...same idea everywhere, and always it means you should have a decent magnet in your gear bag.
    63bkpkr and Aufisher like this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    Ca
    fisher gold bug
    1151 times
    Heres a classic gold quartz ore heavy with iron.

Gossans are a term used by hard rock prospectors, they are a well kept secret.

Most folks don't know what these look like, In hard rock we use these as our indicator of where a possible spot to sample.
    it would be hard for some one to explain what one looks like, you would have to be shown.
    I have a post over in hardrock that has some good ore examples with iron oxides,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03783.JPG 
Views:	3655 
Size:	1,023.6 KB 
ID:	869797
    RANGER31, Goodyguy, Sticks and 5 others like this.

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, bench top rod mill, Whippet drywasher
    8561 times
    Prospecting
    Gorgeous sample, thanks for sharing!
    gold tramp and Aufisher like this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    Ca
    fisher gold bug
    1151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Gorgeous sample, thanks for sharing!
    when I find ore like this this is what comes to mind, Gold rides an iron horse.
    Aufisher likes this.

us
    Mar 2012
    Northern California
    Gold Bug 2, GP 3000
    393 times
    Prospecting
    I know this doesn't look too much like the other pic but I'm finding pieces of gold with quartz on it and a few ft above where I'm finding it there's this quartz vein that has some rusty stuff around it.

Name:	image-1138767703.jpg 
Views:	1231 
Size:	702.7 KB 
ID:	869828

Worth looking into?
    RANGER31 and Aufisher like this.

Apr 2016
    1 times
    I have a few hats but this looks different than the image in the thread. It appears the yellow is inverted from their sample?

Saprolite, black bands a small amount of rust. And a black speckled band in white/greenish sandstone.

Name:	ironhats.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	306.0 KB 
ID:	1295867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ironhats-2.JPG 
Views:	179 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	1295868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackvein.JPG 
Views:	181 
Size:	167.5 KB 
ID:	1295869
    Aufisher likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links