Gaining public support for mining.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have this idea. What if we all got together and pushed for a fund much like the Alaska Permanent Fund. Put a small royalty on minerals mined and trees harvested from public land and they would go directly into this fund to have a small percentage paid out after a few years to everyone in the U.S. This way the general public has a stake in the mining sector. Maybe a State by State fund. Give me some input on this

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i definatly agree there needs to be more support, but i fear it may invite more oversite,heck big bro already thinks that they are looking out for the publics interest, which is arguable to say the least. i wouldnt wish them to have another program, to abuse . just my opinion, would love to hear from some others tho.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
First we'd have to convince the high grading squatters (government), that it actually isthe people that own this land! Sorry it was wide open and I had to take it. I was in Alaska when they first started the permanent dividend fund was a nice little pick me up. Some folks get to play a little with it and others get some much needed funding to help fix repair or replace a thing or two. The trick would be in keeping the sticky fingers out of the kitty.

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a good idea, but if politicians would steal every dollar out of the mandated social security trust fund, then proceeds from evil miners and loggers wouldn't last a New York minute. JMHO

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Money that's safe from the Government is like Military Intelligence. You can't use both terms in the same sentence unless you're writing a fiction story.

Dustedyou

Dec 27, 2012
Albuquerque
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Treasure finder. Gold Cube, Chisel, Hammer, Eye Loop.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
^^lmao Iri ,, ya safe money.. well Social Security was safe... ahhh well.. I like the concept.. but I think for it to work it would do better as a Share consort... say you get a share,, you sell it back to the consortium and then your share is used and gone. you get another you could save the share or sell it back to the CO.. but once its paid in full.. the share is gone.the share is a set price and doesnt move.. ahh well i lost 133K in my 401 a couple o years back.. thanks to Greed.. I say put it into a general fund for parks and mine reclamation.

OP
OP
Mad Machinist

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dusted,

Parks would be a great idea. Miners keeping National and State Parks open, that should have a pretty good impact.

I am not sure about mine reclamation though. I get the feeling we would be stuck cleaning up after the big boys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread