Bedrock gold

JrallXS

Greenie
Sep 19, 2013
Anderson, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to clear Creek today and started digging around the outside bend where there is outcroppings of bedrock that looked like 45 degree angle. I picked out a couple spots to dig at head of the bedrock, I really
cant tell, out of luck of a bucket of classified material put it into a sluice box i got about a few little pieces of gold at the end. There were so many areas where there was bedrock that was worked through a little bit and the holes there were pretty deep. I know you have to do the work to get the gold but its mostly myself, a shovel, bucket, and a couple classifiers. and not really good places to set up a sluice.
back to subject... i know its common sense but can gold get trapped behind exposed bedrock on land away from the creek?

I should sample more rather than pick a spot and work the bejeebies out of it?

the back slash represents the bedrock angle and or riffle.

Tail \ head

Upvote 0

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
There is the gamble of prospecting. Do you stay or do u go?? It all depends on the gold. I always sample, and sample and sample. Classify half a bucket in one spot. Then another and another. You may find 4 or 5 flakes in a few spots then 40 in another. I say move. U can always go back.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well for me the key that you said was "outside bend" that is outside of the normal path of gold. With that being said gold is were you find it, Now you have to visualize were the water flows during a major flood event. Not just storm level flood but a load up the Noah's arc type of event :) Ok just exaggerating a little but it does take some major water to move the larger gold and it will drop out first and the smaller stuff staying in the flow later. I would find the high water mark and work your way down to the water level, going deep into the cracks. I've personally found that the highest gold concentration to be at the very front and very rear of the bend while dredging with the middle be ok. This is the creek that I'm dredging and your mileage may vary.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that area there is great gold in the bedrock as the hanging walls are the ancient streanmeds. Screwdrivers-longer the better-hammer/chisels/crevice tools/coat hangers ANYTHANG you can ram,jam or cram into them cracks and crevices is needed. Go to harbor freight as tweezers over a foot long=couple a bucks same same with loooooooong screwdrivers. My favorite started out 4' over 30+ years ago,now 30+ inches left -great detectn' tool too-John

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
If you see areas worked, go to those and see if they didn't get to the bottom. Sometimes those before you did all the work but didn't get to the good stuff.

OP
OP
JrallXS

JrallXS

Greenie
Sep 19, 2013
Anderson, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well for me the key that you said was "outside bend" that is outside of the normal path of gold. With that being said gold is were you find it, Now you have to visualize were the water flows during a major flood event. Not just storm level flood but a load up the Noah's arc type of event :) Ok just exaggerating a little but it does take some major water to move the larger gold and it will drop out first and the smaller stuff staying in the flow later. I would find the high water mark and work your way down to the water level, going deep into the cracks. I've personally found that the highest gold concentration to be at the very front and very rear of the bend while dredging with the middle be ok. This is the creek that I'm dredging and your mileage may vary.

thanks, ill keep that in mind

-Jesus

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread