Hand Suction Dredges ?

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any opinions on hand suction dredges and which one might be the best ? Been looking at the Gold-n-Sand X-stream hand suction dredge. There is a spot where we finally got down to bedrock and I think one of these small hand dredges might get the last gold out. Would love to use a power suction dredge but not able to use any motors in this area.
Thanks for any input.:notworthy:

Upvote 0

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So all the fittings just press together? I used adapters on mine so the pieces screw together. All except the intake check valve. That one is glued to the ABS 45.

Some of them are fitted but I would say half of them press togather

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a gold and sand, like it quite a bit. If all the fittings were glued, you couldn't replace/repair your device with out destroying it. I don't know about all y'all out there, but I drop stuff all the time, and when PVC is cold, it just might shatter!

Cheers

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Here is the gold from yesterday after cooking off the Mercury. I ran five and a half buckets.

Attachments

• image-2493853118.jpg
    image-2493853118.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 124

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PVC glue was used on my Gold sucker. You can see the it in some places. I imagine it is on my gold n sand too.

One last major point about the gold n sand. If the bucket is situated above the suction device, you are pushing material through a hose uphill or up. Clogs happen or the device shuts down completely when this happens.

You have to make sure the the bucket is below the device itself. Even when it is level, (the bucket and the suction device were level with each other), I had more clogs in this situation. This is really frustrating to know that you can't place the bucket on a flat rock in the middle of a stream and get material on the sides around the backside of the rock. You are assuming that high water levels made the rock a natural riffle and the gold will be on the downstream side of the rock. I was pulling the bucket over by stretching the hose too far too.

I can't tell you how many times I had the gold n sand bucket next to my foot and I looked down and it was turned over. Being ticked off and losing time to prospect takes away from the fun and takes more effort.

I mean, to move around you have to keep in mind where the bucket is and not pull it over in this type of situation.

I could have the bucket on a flat rock and be waist high trying to push the material up through the hose and it will not work this way.

My gold sucker would not have this problem. I started carrying a three gallon bucket with the other two five gallon buckets and found it easier to move around as I move around in certain situations. Five gallons of material and water are dang heavy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
team sidewinder

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw a bear the last time I went out here in Georgia. I smelled the bear then I saw it. I was in the middle of the Etowah when this happened. Take some bear spray with you. This is a must have from my experience.[/QUOTE]

I do not want to take this off topic but I prefer to carry a .44 as it takes care of bears and claim jumpers.

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I saw a bear the last time I went out here in Georgia. I smelled the bear then I saw it. I was in the middle of the Etowah when this happened. Take some bear spray with you. This is a must have from my experience.

I do not want to take this off topic but I prefer to carry a .44 as it takes care of bears and claim jumpers.[/QUOTE]

The area where I hunt would not permit guns. There are no claims other than leases on the Etowah or Chestatee to dredge. A gun could be used there. Other lands here are part of the Corp of Engineers or Federal Park System. As they say on the GPAA, lands are getting fewer and fewer for prospectors. That is especially true here in N. Georgia.

You can prospect under a bridge without any problems or go to parks without using motorized dredges. Other than that, you have to have a lease from the land owner. This is easy to do sometimes because hunting leases can not be given out any more because of residential housing going up everywhere here.

I have spent years finding a few hot spots that I can hunt that no one knows of and the land is owned by the parks in the County which could care less about what you do as long as you don't put in a dredge.

I have considered going to Alabama to dredge but finding an adequate partner to help is an iffy prospect. Most people want to prospect by dredge but are clueless about it and can get you killed. This is why I sold my dredge because I had to dredge by myself. I had idiots that didn't realize that I was underwater and turned the motor off. They were mad about the noise, not knowing that they were trespassing on my claim in a river. They can still have a canoe or whatever to go down the river as long as they don't get out of the boat on my claim or interfere with my dredge. But dummies are dummies and you can't change dumb thinking from my experience.

This is why I metal detect and just prospect with devices like the Gold Sucker.

Due to heavy rains here this year, I held off buying a nice electric pump highbanker for one of my hotspots. You can put the whole unit in a backpack. The batteries are the only real heavy thing you have to deal with. I will try it next season if the rains don't come so heavy next year. I am sure that more alluvial gold has been deposited in these hot spots so all is good. We needed the rain this year.

The object of the game is to move as much material as you can with a device that gets all the gold, including the flour gold. This is the bread and butter of prospecting. These new electric highbankers will replace the dredges where they can't be used as they used to be. Feeding the electric highbanker with material from my gold sucker is the best solution for silent prospecting in my opinion.

There is even a guy in Aussieland making electric dredges now. They are expensive but they look like they will work just like my first dredge, the Bazooka.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions