Gold from Electronics

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
Howdy y'all! I've been away from the forum for quite a while but I've been reading in. Unfortunately my season in the Pacific Northwest is winding down, without me being able to hit the creek nearly as much as I'd like.

That being said,(and I'm sorry if this has been asked before, didn't show up with my searches) has anyone heard of reclaiming gold from electronics? With the research I've done so far I know for a fact that certain processors are loaded with the yellow stuff and I have no doubt I can flip those easily enough without actually working them. Most of the methods I've found for extracting the gold require mercury or acids. Does anyone know if grinding and sluicing, or heating the gold out is viable? I'd like to finance a new sluice, as we all would, but cant afford it out of my current job. So, at the moment, this is a curiosity. If it can be done safely and profitably on a small scale (without the use of the chemicals/heavy metals) it may become another part of my hobby. Who doesn't love a shiny yellow ingot? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
All great input. It looks like it's more sciencey (that's a word now, I checked haha) and less bare knuckle work than I expected. I'll try it anyway when we start getting snow though. I believe vinegar was mentioned as a possibly usable acid. Easy to obtain and not hazardous to dispose of, it's worth at least a look.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread