2013 Colorado gold rush hits the news....

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's good it leaves more for you, that's how I would look at it anyway. Seems lots of people think its going to be real easy then when they find out you have to work at finding it and getting it they aren't so interested anymore. To me if was that easy I would lose interest in it before too long.

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You know the gold was my first thought when I heard about the floods. But then I was ashamed of myself because of all the people who were missing and possibly dead. I was feeling pretty guilty about it. I felt better when I started seeing other posts here about it. Kind of a "therapy". Nice to know I wasn't the only one.

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like they say in Maine "Leave your money, take your trash."

Tourists need food, fuel, lodging, and gear. Make a small business of it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thought of new gold came to my mind when I saw how these front range rivers rushing like they were. It was biblical like they were saying. Could be the best place to find gold now would be Omaha and Oklahoma City. Just the little creeks where I live are turned up and out and dug ten, twenty feet deeper. I was thinking on going up to Jamestown with a pan and see if I find anything. Down where I live I may go see if I can find any old bison skulls or mamoth tusks? There will be most likely some unique finds in all this.

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tamrock, you have my curiosity up...which town do you live in? I am in Centennial. The creeks down here moved lots of material around too ...lots! But none of them cut 10 or even 2 feet deeper.

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
This is very interesting since this is also what I think when I see any river flooding. I can wait till the La Plata river is at a level I can search the bottom again for gold. Flooding is tragic, but you can't say that any one affected by these floods wouldn't be happy to find an oz nug. In their back yard, except those who lost loved ones. No amount of gold would make up for loosing anyone in my family. Sorry for anyone who had loses.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Cant wait to come suck it all up!! I believe that this flood is good for gold. I found gold in the clear creek bank right next to my vehicles tire when i was there! This flood must have pushed pounds and pounds of gold into the river bed. Ill give it the winter to concentrate. See you in the spring!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock, you have my curiosity up...which town do you live in? I am in Centennial. The creeks down here moved lots of material around too ...lots! But none of them cut 10 or even 2 feet deeper.
Well maybe not 20 feet, This took place just maybe 3-4 mile north of me early on in the storm and its just a small ravine. I live in Lafayette, Boulder County. I would think many streams in the foot hills north of Clear Creek would have been washed over very much so. Most have never been known for much gold, but the creeks up in around Jamestown and Gold hill would have been turned up a lot and they are the little streams the early gold prospectors of 1859 worked up to the load deposits in the foot hills of Boulder County. I would think that some of those ravines in western Boulder county that never saw much running water other then the normal annual spring run off would have had all that old alluviaum washed out and new from the banks washed in. There are gold mines up in that area of Jamestown and Gold Hill and those streams do produce some gold. Unlike the Big Thompson flood in the 70s that was one big rain storm in one river system, this storm was wide spread. Much of it over the gold areas in western Boulder County. Down here where I live these small creeks run in hard soil and that spontaneous rush of water cut though these small creeks like a band saw. I would think artifacts of all kinds buried for many years could be now exposed that fell in from the banks. The closest creek to me that runs year round is Coal Creek to my south and to the north is Boulder Creek. None of those were ever known gold producers. I saw Coal Creek the night of the storm and it was sure a sight to behold. The bike trail along Coal Creek is all gone, but I'm still going to go see what I can find that was under that trail for who knows how long? Could be bones or stone artitfacts?

Attachments

• dillon road.jpg
    dillon road.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 385

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the ungodly zillions of tons of muck and mire,homes,trees,boulders and foliage will bury 90%+ under many feet of garbage. Takes many MANY years of constant flow to concentrate,just a old miners tale. Yes a few good spots but ruined not improved your odds of finding as toooo many roads and bridges gone to even get there to even look-John

OP
OP
KevinInColorado

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well maybe not 20 feet, This took place just maybe 3-4 mile north of me early on in the storm and its just a small ravine. I live in Lafayette, Boulder County. I would think many streams in the foot hills north of Clear Creek would have been washed over very much so. Most have never been known for much gold, but the creeks up in around Jamestown and Gold hill would have been turned up a lot and they are the little streams the early gold prospectors of 1859 worked up to the load deposits in the foot hills of Boulder County. I would think that some of those ravines in western Boulder county that never saw much running water other then the normal annual spring run off would have had all that old alluviaum washed out and new from the banks washed in. There are gold mines up in that area of Jamestown and Gold Hill and those streams do produce some gold. Unlike the Big Thompson flood in the 70s that was one big rain storm in one river system, this storm was wide spread. Much of it over the gold areas in western Boulder County. Down here where I live these small creeks run in hard soil and that spontaneous rush of water cut though these small creeks like a band saw. I would think artifacts of all kinds buried for many years could be now exposed that fell in from the banks. The closest creek to me that runs year round is Coal Creek to my south and to the north is Boulder Creek. None of those were ever known gold producers. I saw Coal Creek the night of the storm and it was sure a sight to behold. The bike trail along Coal Creek is all gone, but I'm still going to go see what I can find that was under that trail for who knows how long? Could be bones or stone artitfacts?

Wow, amazing pic and yes I bet you're right about those uphill stream beds that rarely run- will be fun to prospect them now! You really are right in the hardest hit area, very different from this end of things. We live in interesting times as CO prospectors :)

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could be the best place to find gold now would be Omaha and Oklahoma City.
The only gold you will find in OKC is in a store. The K river about 3 hours away seems to be the closest spot people go to find a little very fine gold. Which I learned about on these forums.

preshrunkmilk

Jan 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Prescott az a few years back after a major flood. Lynx was massive there was so much new gold everywhere. I found about an oz in a week but it was not where I would have thought it would have been. A detector and a pan is what I used.

bswanney

Oct 12, 2012
Omaha, NE
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That thought of new gold came to my mind when I saw how these front range rivers rushing like they were. It was biblical like they were saying. Could be the best place to find gold now would be Omaha and Oklahoma City. Just the little creeks where I live are turned up and out and dug ten, twenty feet deeper. I was thinking on going up to Jamestown with a pan and see if I find anything. Down where I live I may go see if I can find any old bison skulls or mamoth tusks? There will be most likely some unique finds in all this.

I can vouch for Omaha. Nothing, very little affect this far East. We saw a 2" to 5" rise over a 36hr period on the Platter River. However in western Nebraska they say a huge surge. In excess of 5' on most Colorado origin rivers. Go West young man.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread