TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no idea dunno if the pics do justice for what i was seeing but someone tell me something please lol 20130927_044150.jpg 20130927_044239.jpg 20130927_044245.jpg 20130927_045708.jpg 20130927_045808.jpg 20130927_050050.jpg 20130927_052109.jpg 20130927_052114.jpg :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i didnt think so i saw alot of shiny that had a yellowish tint, i just came in from panning the stream/river thingand its all rock and gravel and some sand it seems like id need a dredge and not a pan or i just dont know what im doing which id be willing to bet on but the elevation changes by 300 in a decent walk so maybe i didnt go far enough down sream. i dunno wish i had someone to work with haha

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Panning is going to be your most important skill. Maybe try to order a small bag of concentrates to practice on to figure the methodology behind getting the black sand and gold to separate from the rest of your material. Have a great day and good luck!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hate to be a "Debbie Downer," but the tiny glacial gold in New York just isn't worth your time or energy. You'll never make back your gasoline money, let alone equipment costs.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I hate to be a "Debbie Downer," but the tiny glacial gold in New York just isn't worth your time or energy. You'll never make back your gasoline money, let alone equipment costs.
That takes in all of the mid-west! I could care less about how much it costs me to run my pump, or how much I paid for my highbanker. Indiana has no natural gold. If there are 60-100 little specks in my pan, then I'm happy, and have had an excellent day. I'm not into this for money, it's the joy I have listening to the wind in the trees, the birds, and squirrels fussing, and the sound of the water moving slowly along. That sir is what I'm into prospecting for.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I get dizzy just looking at those pans - lol! Reminds me of a hypnotists wheel. Just kidding. Has gold been found in your area in the past?

OP
OP
T

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
couldnt tell ya because i dont know. iv been doing alont of research online and watching videos on you tube and guys are finding gold in ny supposidly

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That takes in all of the mid-west! I could care less about how much it costs me to run my pump, or how much I paid for my highbanker. Indiana has no natural gold. If there are 60-100 little specks in my pan, then I'm happy, and have had an excellent day. I'm not into this for money, it's the joy I have listening to the wind in the trees, the birds, and squirrels fussing, and the sound of the water moving slowly along. That sir is what I'm into prospecting for.

I respect that Jimmy. This is what I am into prospecting for though..

Attachments

• 36ounces.jpg
    36ounces.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 105
  • azgoldmeteorite.jpg
    azgoldmeteorite.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 121
  • richhill 044.jpg
    richhill 044.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 122

keitha43

Jun 14, 2013
Moore, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know if I could afford nuggets that big. I would have to sell them to pay my cardiologist after the heart attack I would have finding them.

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The shinies in your pan are probably mica or pyrite. It's easy enough to test. Both of those minerals will powder under the blade of your pocket knife. I've never used a turbo pan. A regular pan isn't difficult to master. But what ever type you use you need to know how to pan without losing a speck of gold. Spending a few bucks on a bag of conentrates that will have some black sand and gold dust that you can practice pan in a tub is money well spent. If you don't want to spend any money cutting small pieces off of fishing weights will work to practice panning. I have to say go for the concentrates though. Once you've seen the real deal in the bottom of your pan it's pretty tough to mistake anything else for gold. Best of luck with the glacial gold. It can be a challenge. I've found a bit in Indiana.

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most gold in New York is gold teeth from the bodies floating in the rivers.

Just kidding, don't give up! Keep at it and don't listen to anyone about the Midwest having no gold/just tiny gold.
Guy in Wooster Ohio just found a 46g nugget and the largest found in Ohio to date was 3.2oz. New York was glaciated just like Indiana any Ohio so I imagine it is similar.
Check out chuck lassiters website for some impressive pics of Midwest gold as well which includes New York.
Midwestprospector.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TankerRobbie

Sep 22, 2013
Duncannon, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT.
Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds good guys thanks for the good words, now heres a question. how do i pick a spot to prospect so im not running around like a chicken with my head cut off what kind of elevations should i be looking for etc etc

A_Sly1_U

Jun 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never done any research on New York gold, but in Indiana I look for glacial moraines....areas where the glaciers stopped. Then I try and find areas where bedrock is shallow and where rivers and streams may have concentrated any gold the glaciers dropped. So glaciel gravel...bedrock...running water...all together is my suggestion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread