image-2241891545.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 248
Upvote 0

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your 500 should be big enough. That is the size I use on my blue bowl. Have you run any material through it? That is the true test. Just remember you can't run anything larger than -30 in it.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
I

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
A quick update:

Being a mechanic I should have though of this, my battery was dead. At 500gph I actually had to turn the flow down. That'll make you feel sheepish.

Thanks for the info, I was only classified to 1/8", so significantly too large. I'm not very well set up on the classifying side, 1/8" is my smallest screen. If I was to run my cons through a window screen do you think that would be small enough? My first scoop revealed a lot of very fine gravel and some bright metallic silver things just big enough to see with the eye. I'm guessing flour lead as I found lead shot in the mats.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mine has a 750pm. I have never needed to run it full throttle. Why do you suspect your pump is not big enough? Disregard slow Tyler at work.

I run mine on the charger itself without a battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
Not a bad idea, but ineffective for me I'm afraid. My charger only goes down to 5amps for a trickle charge. The fuse on my pump is only 2amps. Gotta have the battery to soak up the extra juice.

OP
OP
I

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
I am having issues getting it to sit level because its an aluminum dish and the hose is weighing the one side down. I'm thinking using tape weights (like for balancing tires) to add a counterweight on the underside.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try putting the 90 degree fitting as close to the bowl as you can and point it down, should take the weight off it

Marmentman

Sep 10, 2013
La Plata, nm
Detector(s) used
Gold stinger
Primary Interest:
Other
You also might try building a frame and adding some bolts and wing nuts for adjustment. I use a bluebowl concentrator and built a frame to level it out. Works great! Also try adding a small clean up sluice under the exit hole to catch anything you miss. I will try to send pictures of my set up. Also have to agree with others about classification. Gold will be heavier than anything the same size you classify. Run each mesh separate and you'll catch almost everything. Good luck!

OP
OP
I

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
I think the frame is my best bet as I have parts laying around for it. Little short of fittings and the Home Depot closed already. I am catching a lot of this lead dust though. So at least I know it works

Colorider

Greenie
Aug 11, 2013
Westminster co
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
I

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
Thanks BH, I may have to build me a spiral wheel as well. While I'm at it, maybe an auto classifier of some kind.

Golden-1

Sep 8, 2013
Bieber Ca
Detector(s) used
my eyes work just fine.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wow i just picked up the same kind of bowl to make my own blue bowl way before i saw this :) guess i am not the only one that thought of it good job looks great :)

JohnTrayMD

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had read in another forum that someone who built a bowl from an angel food bowl had issues with the center cone not being as steep of angle nor does it have the reverse cone st the top like the blue bowl has. Through all his time an effort the bowl never performed as good as his friends blue bowl. In my thread on my Blue Bowl system someone had posted who's father is the person who designed the blue bowl. In fact the entire spec's and drawings of sizes were online somewhere.

Last edited:

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I had read in another forum that someone who built a bowl from an angel food bowl had issues with the center cone not being as steep of angle nor does it have the reverse cone st the top like the blue bowl has. Through all his time an effort the bowl never performed as good as his friends blue bowl. In my thread on my Blue Bowl system someone had posted who's father is the person who designed the blue bowl. In fact the entire spec's and drawings of sizes were online somewhere.

I used an angel food cake pan for my blue bowl. I'm not totally dissatisfied with it but it's not as efficient as the real thing. I find with mine, the heavier black sand gets trapped around the cone and I have to run my cons through three or more times to get all the gold.

JohnTrayMD

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AzViper that's a really cool system. Do you ever find gold in the green gold pan?

OP
OP
I

improvmechanic

Jan 5, 2013
Nice set up AZ! And I'm not overly concerned with it working perfectly, I just want it to make my job panning easier haha. I'm probably going to use some bolts and PVC and make a three point system myself. I used expanded steel and tried to weight it a couple days ago, but it wasn't as effective as I'd hoped.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread