Trommel build screen problem

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Decided to build a trommel and it's coming along nicey.
I have run into a problem however getting the screen for it.
I want to make it an 8 mesh but all I can find at local hardware stores is 1/4 mesh.
I've looked online quite a bit but can only locate wholesale/industrial sites which require you to purchase a large quantity.
Does anyone have a good deal or have access to wire mesh I can purchase?
I'm looking to get roughly .6 mm thickness ( just like in my bucket classifier ).
I'm not set on thickness of the wire but it needs to be strong but flexible enough to bend into a circle.
I'm not against punch plate or grizzly bars but haven't seen anything quite right just yet.
Any ideas would be appreciated
Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
forget the local hardware stores and call some sheet metal fabrication shops if they may have some wirewoven screen. if they do have it theyd be glad to sell it rather than have it set in a rack!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want to make it an 8 mesh but all I can find at local hardware stores is 1/4 mesh.
I've looked online quite a bit but can only locate wholesale/industrial sites which require you to purchase a large quantity.
I'm looking to get roughly .6 mm thickness ( just like in my bucket classifier ).
I'm not set on thickness of the wire but it needs to be strong but flexible enough to bend into a circle.
I'm not against punch plate or grizzly bars but haven't seen anything quite right just yet.
Thanks
Look up California sluice on google...they sell trommel screens already rolled and welded. Will do whatever mesh you want as I recall.
Jim

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks

What is the 8 mesh going to be used for, the cylinder? or something else? McMaster Carr you can get any size screen you want. WIRE CLOTH <<<< LINK

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks Jim,
California sluice will only do 1/4 and 1/2 inch :(

Azviper...well they do have it but its like 500 bucks a sheet!!!!!

russau, im contacting sheet metal shops as we speak.

thanks for the suggestions. keep em coming please

JohnTrayMD

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are you using 8 mesh on your trommel? That seems such a waste to be classifying down to that size.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember, any circle can be simulated by ever shortening segments. A simple sheet brake can aid in forming the circle.

Google 'metal supply <town,state>' for a local metal supply. I can get expanded sheet in 1/4 sheets and sometimes drops if I wander back by the shear.

One idea spinning in my head is instead of making the cylinder, start with a cylinder and drill.

Large-Diameter-Round-Steel-Pipe-QYSR-041-.jpg

Metal place here has larger diameter round steel tube (& pipe) which I've seen drops as small as 2'

Cylinders I've found at thrift stores

ro-storage-tanks.jpg mixed-refrigerant-r22-751.jpg 300_Large_Helium_Tank_pic_big.jpg

Check with plumbers, A/C, party stores.

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please forgive me but that doesn't make any sense jaytrayMD unless I'm missing something...
Why would 8 mesh be a waste and 1/4 or 1/2 be acceptable?
It makes perfect sense to classify that small for me ( I think ) Almost all of the gold in my area is 1/8 and smaller.
The more you can classify the more your fine retention increases. Theoretically you want ideally to classify to just above the average size of the gold. Don't worry, I have nugget trap covered.

I have a few drums and buckets and I suppose I can drill 1/8 inch holes. I trying to avoid that route if possible out of fear it may take a years worth of drilling. I may have to do that however if I can't find another solution.

One thing I am considering is a double wrap. I found 8 mesh woven wife but it's pretty thin (27 guage ). I'm thinking if wrapping it in 1/2 inch 16 guage but I'm not sure if it would work or not.

Last edited:

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think you will have a problem with anything other than expanded, or punch plate type material. There are some mighty big stones that pass through my 12".:dontknow:
Thanks

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please forgive me but that doesn't make any sense jaytrayMD unless I'm missing something...
Why would 8 mesh be a waste and 1/4 or 1/2 be acceptable?
It makes perfect sense to classify that small for me ( I think ) Almost all of the gold in my area is 1/8 and smaller.
The more you can classify the more your fine retention increases. Theoretically you want ideally to classify to just above the average size of the gold. Don't worry, I have nugget trap covered.

Why limit your digging to one area. Down the road you may be off into another area or state where there is bigger gold. On another note your classification area does not need to be the length of the cylinder. Anything that's going to pass through the holes will do so in 15" or less. In my build my first 33" is set aside to tumble the dirt and rock while washing down the material real good creating a slurry. Having the screen nearly the length of the cylinder your water is dropping out from the dirt and rock and not aiding in the wash cycle. JimmyDoLittle is correct in what he said above. You need to make the cylinder strong or it will beat itself apart. My cylinder is made of 1/8" and I am drilling all the holes using a pattern I made up on my computer. Just My Two Cents...

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
thanks Jim,
California sluice will only do 1/4 and 1/2 inch :(

Azviper...well they do have it but its like 500 bucks a sheet!!!!!

russau, im contacting sheet metal shops as we speak.

thanks for the suggestions. keep em coming please

Never attended for you to buy from McMaster as they are very expensive but for reference sizes they are great. Most steel shops at least in my area will only sale full sheets. Find a fabrication shop that has cut-offs. I believe my 12" cylinder used about 38 inches. So the shop started with a 49" x 38" piece of plate and rolled it for me.

Last edited:

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use 1/2" expanded on the drum and then use 1/8" punch plate at the head of your sluice. The majority of your gold should drop out at the first part of the sluice box and the 1/8" punch plate will keep the larger pebles from bumping the gold out of the box.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For $200.00 this is not a bad price, the hard part of joining 3 pieces and getting it true is already done for you. Sure its 1/4" but do as Jog said. Dale may make it the way you want it but your stuck with either 1/4" or 1/2" holes. Or have a shop roll the metal and do what I am doing by drilling the holes. As I said you do not need the entire length of the cylinder to be classifying and you will cut down on the amount of holes that need to be drilled. I made a drilling guide that I will use adhesive to glue the pattern to the cylinder, next I will center punch mark the holes followed by drilling holes. With you wanting to use 1/8" holes the drilling is very easy.

0_0_0_0_500_375_csupload_52697918_large.jpg

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Made my hand-crank trommel with 1/2", and also have 1/4" and 1/8"
extra screens. I just wrap them over the 1/2" and bungee cord it tight.

You should be able to buy 1/8" "construction cloth" (aka: screen)
at most any hardware store. They even carry it here in our little
town at the True Value hardware store.

JohnTrayMD

Tenderfoot
Sep 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gauge size your speaking of making the tube from is not heavy enough to support the weight of the trommel tube let alone adding any material through it. Do you have pictures of what you done so far? Maybe if you would explain what size trommel your building and is it gas, electric, hand powered etc.Those who are trying to help you have no information of your build. Some good advice has been given you but you appear to be dead set on the size of material your going to build the tube from. Just went back to your first post and read it again, I am totally lost for words other than to say, IT WILL NOT WORK!!!

OP
OP
S

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a hand crank bucket trommel that I would feed with a shovel.
Kind of a spin off of "mikes trommel".
Yes I am dead set on 8 mesh but if it works then I can do 1/2 and 1/4 down the road.

I think I may have found a solution. I found 22 guage 8 mesh and plan to Mabe wrap it in 16-18 guage 1/2 inch or Mabe 1" for rigidity. Hope it works!

Btw, thanks for the vote of confidence Johntray, Now I have no choice but to try and prove you wrong :)
My best work is done when people say I can't.
Understand I do appreciate you taking the time to post and give advise though.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sick4Gold,

I think many of us thought you were building a much bigger trommel and I think that's why we were leaning the other direction on trommel material. From the looks of it JTMD, Jog, JimmyD, Jcaz, Jim, and myself I suppose we were confused, but you did not explain your plans in your main post, had you then we would have understood what you were building.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now that I know what your after check this page out. Its not as expensive as you had mentioned. You will need to click on the image a few times to expand it to full size.

McMas.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread