Rock crushing question need help.

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a lot of quartz rock to crush and I just wanted to know if anyone could give me any ideas on making a home crusher to crush them. I tried a old iron skillet and it did not stand up to the quartz as the quartz is too hard. Panned some of the dirt that the backhoe had crushed the rock when found and lot of gold looking stuff in it that stayed in the portion of my pan after I got down to the black sand that was in it so t thought the rocks would be good to bust and crush too. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steel pipe with another steel pipe inside with a end cap works just fine. Crush to 1" and smash,classify and throw bigger pieces back in. Old sealed up cement mixer with steel balls or a nice big ol'ball mill. Used to be instructions on numerous sites on how to turn a old lawn mower into a chain crusher that worked decent,but numerous runs also. John

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a lot of quartz rock to crush and I just wanted to know if anyone could give me any ideas on making a home crusher to crush them. I tried a old iron skillet and it did not stand up to the quartz as the quartz is too hard. Panned some of the dirt that the backhoe had crushed the rock when found and lot of gold looking stuff in it that stayed in the portion of my pan after I got down to the black sand that was in it so t thought the rocks would be good to bust and crush too. Thanks.
HT_PG_BM_BWF_Body_Img-wire-faster-01.jpg

Flip upside down and pound with a piece of black pipe with a cap on one end.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a page that lets you see how to make them:rockc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread