Dousing rods -- myth or do they work??

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
I f'ed up the spelling.. Dowsing rods :)

I have ran into so many people who use rods. I have never used them but an older miner gave me a pair. I'm gonna try them next trip. Can't hurt right.. My opinion is move as much dirt as possible but some people are BELIEVERS in the rods.. So i would love to know peoples opinions of this, and if u use them, do u have any tips for me?! Lol. Myth or is it real?!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Man I am a kid in a candy store with all this info and feedback!

So ..... so far, I would say that most peeps think they work but mainly for water and oil lines , things of that nature. BUT... Using them for gold hunting ... Still a lot of skeptics.

Can it be the user of the rods and if he has the mental strength to correctly use then like folks were saying... Hmmm.

I am def gonna try them for a first time in the area I like to dig and have found ounces.

Super excited to give the rods a try.

mmmmmmmeeeellllllloooooowwww

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Ask Ray Elam who walked off with over $2 million from the Rucky Chuckies from a spot I dowsed-or the OC 49ers when Al Mahoney map dowsed at a public meeting,over 50+ folks, and 11 of us went,hiked in over 2 miles into the EFSG narrows,1/2 mile up a cliff and dug out over 6 ozs and brought to next meeting. NEED and not greed is the answer. For every time it works on gold there are 100 failures EXACTLY like mining,detecting and ALL other means of finding gold-not perfect. Much easier as noted above for pipes and water and such as GREED not there. I've had fun with it for many years and golf clubs work great too,not just L rods---but that is yet another story-John

Hey John ... I'm gonna be hitting the new 49er claim called "diggers gold"here soon. It's the new Mojave claim. Can u pop out the map and wipe the dust of your Rod, and give me the location of my next good find.. I could use some back up.. Gets lonely on these claims by yourself!

So looking at some videos seems guys just walk with them and when the rods cross ... Put your shovel there... What a trip

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Dowsing only works for those who have the ability. And many do not have that ability.It is using the intuitional mind, is how it works for a good dowser. Which cannot be measured empirically in some scieince lab. I too was skeptical, until I actually started doing it. I did train under a gifted dowser, who located oil deposits for exploration firms, and others too. And that ability varies a great deal between one person and another. Finding buried water lines is the easiest. That's how I start trainees out. But finding gold is a whole other matter, because the technique is somewhat different than water dowsing. Dowsing is not an exact science, because it is a mental ability. Its much like dolphins, bees, and other animals that have locating ability, we know is true, because they actually do it. In our brains, we have the pineal gland, which actually has magnetite in it, that senses location. A few, gifted people can map dowse, like my old girlfreind. She pin pointed on a map, exactly where there was gold on a river nearby, after a major flood. The next day, I went out and found it using copper L rods. It was at the head of a new gravel bar, where there were 100's of white quartz pebbles, each having specs of gold in them. I dug out 3 buckets full of them, but I could not find a chrusher to extract the gold with. Dowsing can be a hit or miss thing, as one can get false signals and technique is all important! I have found other gold with it for friends, including an 8 dwt. nugget, and found two pea size nuggets and more myself. My problem, is, I have a perpetual bad back, and digging is always involved. Much gold is too deep to dig out, and many are too lazy to do so.

Interesting story , thanks bubba!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No as your a 49er. Done only for friends who are in dire need. Abuse and lose. OC 49ers are NOT associated in any way shape or form with that friggn' cancer from the klamath. Ray,Roy and Joe decimated from cantara spill ,I got'm all specials but stinkn' CDFG bureauratz Banky Curtis killed specials with a snealy rider onto state budget so many folks going hungry,losing homes fulla grandkids,ma and pa also. Then it works,in other words, Kuger has the answer,works just mighty fine in the line a work and kudos K as many believe , but ain't man enough to say a word as public bs just too much,but some a us don't give a flyn' furry :censored: what folks say as the truth is self evident to the few with a open mind as I know many who do it. Ol'Albert was the man and shut them all up for quite a few years but as always the truth fades and bs starts all over again hahahah-John

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All dowsing is hooey. Just my opinion. Oh, and the opinion of the scientific community at large.

Jimmydolittle

Mar 14, 2013
Hendricksville Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It may be hooey as you call it, but I can find underground wires, and water pipes, using it, Period! Never found any gold, though, can't even find Indiana gold with a detector, it's so small.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
No as your a 49er. Done only for friends who are in dire need. Abuse and lose. OC 49ers are NOT associated in any way shape or form with that friggn' cancer from the klamath. Ray,Roy and Joe decimated from cantara spill ,I got'm all specials but stinkn' CDFG bureauratz Banky Curtis killed specials with a snealy rider onto state budget so many folks going hungry,losing homes fulla grandkids,ma and pa also. Then it works,in other words, Kuger has the answer,works just mighty fine in the line a work and kudos K as many believe , but ain't man enough to say a word as public bs just too much,but some a us don't give a flyn' furry :censored: what folks say as the truth is self evident to the few with a open mind as I know many who do it. Ol'Albert was the man and shut them all up for quite a few years but as always the truth fades and bs starts all over again hahahah-John
I don't know much about the history there of Klammoth /49er stuff. I do know I can't wait to get out to the desert and put my shovel in the dirt on this 49er claim. 160 acres :) drive through it already.. BLM had the red posts all over of course.. Don't mind them speed bumbs..:) Ton of drift mines and some deep caved in mine tunnels. Think I will stay out of those and work the less dangerous dirt ... Hoping I can find another nuggy that the ole miners didn't get...

Sjohnsone

Greenie
Sep 3, 2013
Long Beach, Ca.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know some of you will think I will be pulling your leg or spinning a yarn, but in regards to dowsing, I've got a funny story.

My father, brother and I all have varying forms of I guess what you'd call a sixth sense. No one else in my father's family has it that we know of except apparently my great grandmother (his grandmother). We get strange intuitions, dreams, etc. about folks and even some stranger things that aren't too relevant to the story.

In any case - when I was about 14 we were all visiting my mother's uncle in upstate N.Y. He was a very interesting character who during his life was a sculptor, painter, bareknuckles boxer, illustrator and all around renaissance man. He actually invented a form of color film back in the day. One morning we were eating bullheads we caught in a nearby pond for breakfast and my grand-uncle was talking to my father about how dowsing was done to find water back in the day and that's how a lot of people dug wells and that they used to do it when he was a little kid back in the 20's. The man convinced my father to do it and told him they needed to find a Y shaped stick that closely matches what they were searching for. In the case of water, he went and got a Y-shaped willow branch. We walked a fair way from the willow, across the road and started walking through the field and my grand-uncle showed my father how to hold it and what to concentrate on.

My father started walking and the stem of the Y was held out in front. The damn thing was literally moving in his hands, bouncing in different directions. My father said it felt like it was pulling him in directions until we finally stood over a relatively damp spot and the stick was just pointing straight downward.

The really strange part is after he handed the stick back to my grand uncle, my father went to look at the time and his watch had stopped working.

Could be a coincidence I suppose...but very strange nonetheless.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Seen them work on waterlines for sure....anything else I'm a skeptic....so if you have a bucket full of gold laced white pebbles...and can not crush them wouldn't you buy a crusher?

Well, this was about 1982, and we were in a bad recession, and I was barely getting by in my little business, and IRS was hounding me and raiding my bank account constantly. And it was in Santa Cruz County, CA, a place not known for gold. I tried to beg, borrow or steal a chrusher, but only knew a few miners who didn't have one. A few years later, I had to move out of a house I was living in real fast, and left the gold underneath a porch, and could never go back and get it. That, I still regret to this day! The owners had moved back in, and they were very hostile people.

At that time, I knew little about gold, and its value, and wasn't real concerned about it. I google mapped the river, and it is all over grown now, with a lot of houses around it. Using hindsite, I should have taken out all the gravel. Oh, well!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Hoser is right, dowse out of need, not greed! If I go out with gold lust in my heart, it doesn't work! I also dpwse for gold at sunset, or at sunrise, as the electro magnetic field from the sun can scatter the signal. But that is riskier as that's when the rattlers come out, and visibility is limited. Few dowsers know this, and that is one reason they may fail to find gold with the rods. The technique is different than water dowsing. Every substance known has its own unique vibrational frequency. So it is very important to tune in to that frequency, and be able to ignor other random signals. You need to envision in your mind what you are trying to locate an focus on that solely.

Finding gold is not easy, because so often the gold is so deep you cannot get it out, either thru dredging or digging. It does hold promise for pocket gold, shallow crevice gold. I need a digger to go with me, as I'm old, and the back is shot.

There is a dowsing subject box on this forum, by the way. And lots of stuff on dowsing on you tube. Reed Lukens has nice videos on gold dowsing there.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Ask Ray Elam who walked off with over $1 million from the Rucky Chuckies from a spot I dowsed-or the OC 49ers when Al Mahoney map dowsed at a public meeting,over 50+ folks, and 11 of us went,hiked in over 2 miles into the EFSG narrows,1/2 mile up a cliff and dug out over 6 ozs and brought to next meeting. NEED and not greed is the answer. For every time it works on gold there are 100 failures EXACTLY like mining,detecting and ALL other means of finding gold-not perfect. Much easier as noted above for pipes and water and such as GREED not there. I've had fun with it for many years and golf clubs work great too,not just L rods---but that is yet another story-John

Back around 94-96, I was hanging out with the boys at Pioneer Mining in Auburn, and a couple big, rough talking dudes came in, and said they were running a big 10" at Rucky Chuck, "gut lining" as they called it, going real deep. Well, I told them about a spot at Rucky Chuck where I had gotten strong gold signals, and that said they would check it out.

I didn't see them until the next season, and they said they had hit it big at Rucky Chuck. I wasn't going to ask them where, as this would have been too nosy, but it may well have been where I told them, not real sure.

I do know of two different gold strikes done at Shirt Tail Creek, done by dowsers. Old Bill, the Russian and his dad got rich during the 30's, when Bill told his dad that the gold was on a perched bench above the creek, and Bill started a major construction business with the money in San francisco, and pops retired!

The other strike was found by Bill Hayes, the owner of many claims there by a dowser I know, and Bill showed me the gold, which was awesome. Hayes used to rent out his claims, but I dont know if he still does anymore.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Hoser is right, dowse out of need, not greed! If I go out with gold lust in my heart, it doesn't work! I also dpwse for gold at sunset, or at sunrise, as the electro magnetic field from the sun can scatter the signal. But that is riskier as that's when the rattlers come out, and visibility is limited. Few dowsers know this, and that is one reason they may fail to find gold with the rods. The technique is different than water dowsing. Every substance known has its own unique vibrational frequency. So it is very important to tune in to that frequency, and be able to ignor other random signals. You need to envision in your mind what you are trying to locate an focus on that solely. Finding gold is not easy, because so often the gold is so deep you cannot get it out, either thru dredging or digging. It does hold promise for pocket gold, shallow crevice gold. I need a digger to go with me, as I'm old, and the back is shot. There is a dowsing subject box on this forum, by the way. And lots of stuff on dowsing on you tube. Reed Lukens has nice videos on gold dowsing there.

Interesting post brother. A lot of god information there. Now I'm super excited to try it.. I'm having fun with it, if they work awesome..! If they don't or I'm not an experienced user than so be it.. I still have my shovel and pry bar 👍👊

"You must become one with your rod". Huh :)

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So when I sit over a map and look at possible areas that I think may have gold I am using my intuition and my knowledge of gold.. When I am walking around and looking at areas I possibly want to dig I use my intuition and knowledge.. It seems to me that Dousers are doing the same thing but for some reason choose to believe in the rod instead of their own ability. Who knows I guess anything is possible..

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rods work for water I have used them to find waterlines below the frost line, 6+ feet deep. My grandfather found his well on his homestead with willow rod. I worked for a well digger who used and taught me how to use copper rods to locate wells. To find gold or treasure? I doubt it works at all. I have never heard of it working.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
"So when I sit over a map and look at possible areas that I think may have gold I am using my intuition and my knowledge of gold.. When I am walking around and looking at areas I possibly want to dig I use my intuition and knowledge.. " That's a good quote to remember ...

Last edited:

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
"So when I sit over a map and look at possible areas that I think may have gold I am using my intuition and my knowledge of gold.. When I am walking around and looking at areas I possibly want to dig I use my intuition and knowledge.. " That's a good quote to remember ...

Let me try to untangle this confusing statement;

The dowsing response comes from two sources. Finding water pipes is a purely physical thing. Then there is a psychic response where the subconscience intuitional mind takes over to locate. Or, it can be a combination of the two.

I am NOT THINKING at all when I dowse for something! I tune out all thoughts, and just let my minds eye focus on what I am trying to find. If your mind is cluttered, and you are worried about bills, or something, you will not be able to dowse at all! You must be relaxed, and have no thoughts what so ever.And if you try to dowse, and any negative thoughts come into play, you will fail, every time.

If you believe, you can conceive!
If you doubt, you're out!

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Rods work for water I have used them to find waterlines below the frost line, 6+ feet deep. My grandfather found his well on his homestead with willow rod. I worked for a well digger who used and taught me how to use copper rods to locate wells. To find gold or treasure? I doubt it works at all. I have never heard of it working.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

For the vast majority of those who try to dowse more than water, they will fail. This is the limits of physical dowsing.
So, There are, however, gifted people who can do incredible things. Just be happy that you can do what you are able to do, and enjoy it.

I have tested the outer boundary of what I am capable of doing, and it has scared the crap out of me at times, and now I know my limitations.

I have dowsed for spiritual entities and found them(not reccomended)
I have dowsed liars who had stolen stuff from me, with 100% accuracy, verifed by third parties
I have dowsed for the winning numbers on the Lotto, and came very close
I have had psychic dream premonitions which came true-more than a few times

I have two friends who used NO RODS and located good gold finds, just by walking up creeks and looking!
My intuitional mind has kept me out of dangerous situations many times!

Why? Because long ago, I learned to trust those vauge feelings that knaw away at our conscience thoughts

But that's just me. We re all different in many ways!

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, don't be discouraged if the first couple of tries don't yield anything. It's helpful to practice. If you know an experienced dowser he can be very hellpful. it seems like anyone can find water/utility lines. I've been able to locate saphires, coins , arrowheads and gold. There used to be a German fella show up at the E.F. and he would witch nuggets for ol Bernie and a few the guys there. Of course thieir were the scoffers that would laugh and say BS. They didn't get any nuggets. Take care Bud

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread