Dousing rods -- myth or do they work??

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
I f'ed up the spelling.. Dowsing rods :)

I have ran into so many people who use rods. I have never used them but an older miner gave me a pair. I'm gonna try them next trip. Can't hurt right.. My opinion is move as much dirt as possible but some people are BELIEVERS in the rods.. So i would love to know peoples opinions of this, and if u use them, do u have any tips for me?! Lol. Myth or is it real?!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Scott, don't be discouraged if the first couple of tries don't yield anything. It's helpful to practice. If you know an experienced dowser he can be very hellpful. it seems like anyone can find water/utility lines. I've been able to locate saphires, coins , arrowheads and gold. There used to be a German fella show up at the E.F. and he would witch nuggets for ol Bernie and a few the guys there. Of course thieir were the scoffers that would laugh and say BS. They didn't get any nuggets. Take care Bud

What up rod.. Hope all is good in our hood. Yeah gonna try it for fun to see what happens. One guy was saying that you will do poor if your mind is full of crap an stress! Well hoping I can wipe my thoughts away cuz I have been on overload stress. Hence why I am going out there soon. Well def gonna give it a shot.. I will be calling for the help of the gold Gods!

U should come out to Mojave sometime bro

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
What up rod.. Hope all is good in our hood. Yeah gonna try it for fun to see what happens. One guy was saying that you will do poor if your mind is full of crap an stress! Well hoping I can wipe my thoughts away cuz I have been on overload stress. Hence why I am going out there soon. Well def gonna give it a shot.. I will be calling for the help of the gold Gods! U should come out to Mojave sometime bro

Btw rod went to EF a few months ago and ran into Miss Martin.. He wasn't looking so great.. We gave him all our food and water and wished him luck on his 7 mile hike back in.. Tough life those guys have living back there ..

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Dowsing for gold has been around for a thousand years. The Crusaders brought dowsers along with them to the Holy Lands. Spanish conquistadors used dowsers to locate gold and mines in the New World. No technology is 100% guaranteed. Even modern metal detectors specifically designed to find gold turn up a bottle cap or pull-tab now and then. I've seen dowsing demonstrated by experts and i'm convinced it's a legitimate way to detect and locate gold. That is not to say there arn't scammers and frauds out there waiting for their next victim to come knocking at the door. I've been prospecting for more than eight years, and i've run into just about every kind of scam you can think of.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No technology is 100% guaranteed. Even modern metal detectors specifically designed to find gold turn up a bottle cap or pull-tab now and then.

Well, that would be because there is no such thing as a "gold detector". There are metal detectors that are more capable of locating gold, but there is no such thing as a detector which can differentiate gold for other metals.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Well, that would be because there is no such thing as a "gold detector". There are metal detectors that are more capable of locating gold, but there is no such thing as a detector which can differentiate gold for other metals.

I have an old Fisher TH Pro VLF detector that does a double beep ONLY for gold! 1970's issue. YUP!

Problem is, you have to keep re balancing it, which is a pain.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stress sucks and is a big time distaction. Maybe if you could get into a Zen mode?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Fisher TH Pro VLF detector that does a double beep ONLY for gold! 1970's issue. YUP!

Problem is, you have to keep re balancing it, which is a pain.

That's very interesting. I would love to understand the dynamics of that. I know some PIs double beep on iron. I would love to see a video of you detector doing that if you can post one.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My daughter got some. I picked them up one quiet night, and held them out in front of me. I concentrated on my question, then asked out loud -- do these things really work?

They remained steady in front of me for a couple of seconds then all at once they each swung rapidly outwards, coming around & hitting me in my upper arms.

I set them down and we had a good laugh.

I'm thinking maybe I need to take a ride to the claim with them soon.

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess one could set a cup of water out in the yard then a real gold nugget and in the other side have a silver Dollar some place too and get to testing the old rods out for comparisons .

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
That's very interesting. I would love to understand the dynamics of that. I know some PIs double beep on iron. I would love to see a video of you detector doing that if you can post one.

Many years ago, I contacted Fisher and they were very interested in it. Seems as though it was a limited edition, or something. I have no interest in firing it up, as the cost of new batteries is high. I would rather use my friends Whites
detector, because its so much easier. I don't get out much at my age and condition.

I am an ARMCHAIR MINER now, and have my stories to tell, and my memories is all!:occasion14:

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thought is that if you hold them right, and they cross over a spot and you find gold there they work, or if you find a water pipe they work. If you don't find a thing, well...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...just to clarify,I do not beleive in it working for anything other than shallow water lines....I am not selling anything...it works,for that

I used rods for years to help locate phone lines, water lines, sewer and power lines. Never found any treasure with them, never had them respond to anything else either.

Sent From My Samsung Note3 now Free

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dowsing people keep dowsing - Keep your theory alive.

I know my detector picks up gold - The less people with actual detectors out there, the more treasure for me to find!!!!! :occasion14:

Dardego

Greenie
Jun 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used a pendulum for treasure hunting, map reading,and the like. I have hand drawn a map of a particular spot, and went straight to the location and found a lot of silver. Was it just luck? I can't say for certain. But it was a real thrill when the object was right where I looked.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
So when I sit over a map and look at possible areas that I think may have gold I am using my intuition and my knowledge of gold.. When I am walking around and looking at areas I possibly want to dig I use my intuition and knowledge.. It seems to me that Dousers are doing the same thing but for some reason choose to believe in the rod instead of their own ability. Who knows I guess anything is possible..

The rods are just a tool in our hands, like an antenna. It is the dowsers intuitional mental ability that powers the rods. It takes faith and you cannot have the slightest doubt that it will not work. Remember, if the rods dont respond to what you are seeking, then it isn't there! Lots of folks think that, and just say dowsing doesn't work. Don't feel bad if it doesn't work for you, about 1/2 of folks can't do it. Try buried water pipes in your yard, that's the easiest.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Word of caution: Don't use sleeves or tubes to hold the rods. If you do the rods will swing willy nilly all over the place, as just walking with them steadily is a feat in itself. I am of the belief that our skin needs to be in contact with rods so that our electrical energy can work.

I saw that old idiot on Bearing Sea gold walking all over, rods swinging every which way, claiming he was finding gold under neath the sea ice. What a joke! Its idiots like that that cause folks to hurt the cause of dowsing. He was using sleeves...not good!

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone once handed me a set that had bearings set into the handles so the arms could swing freely.
Talk about craftsmanship and they worked great too.
I then made my own pair with copper tubing and brass tips.
The results were the same and it cost me just a few bucks.

Everyone thought it was a trick and that I was somehow moving it with tension from my fingertips.
Eventually all of the skeptics had their turns and soon became believers.

Yes they work, but not what you are using them for.

Flux happens.

Craig

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scott, don't be discouraged if the first couple of tries don't yield anything. It's helpful to practice. If you know an experienced dowser he can be very hellpful. it seems like anyone can find water/utility lines. I've been able to locate saphires, coins , arrowheads and gold. There used to be a German fella show up at the E.F. and he would witch nuggets for ol Bernie and a few the guys there. Of course thieir were the scoffers that would laugh and say BS. They didn't get any nuggets. Take care Bud

Holy crap! it was the German. he was the one with the bearings in the handles.
Bernie had his dredge in the water just west of the entrance bridge at Follows near Tijuana flats.
I was hanging out with Bellflower Don, Vinnie and Bernie, we were all bagging on Sparky and his "minnie winne" lunchbox motor home

Then the German appeared.

Too funny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread