looking for some help gold panning

stephen583

Jan 30, 2017
610 South 900 West Riverside Apts. #108
Detector(s) used
dowser (rods) and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Georgia was one of my best prospecting experiences. I travelled by Greyhound (not wishing to be burdened with finding safe parking for a vehicle) to Dahlonega and hitched rides to the Chattahoochee Natl. Forest where I spent two months prospecting. Georgian people are wonderful. If they see you tent camping along they side of the road, they're likely to return at suppertime with a hot plate of food and a six pack. Hitchhiking is a breeze. I got a single ride from Dahlonega to Atlanta on the way out.. and they wouldn't even accept money for gas.

Colorado runs a close second to Georgia for hospitality. With the exception of one nasty BLM agent, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute I ever spent in Colorado. The locals are helpful, generous with information and friendly folks. Again. It's easy to catch rides anywhere in rural Colorado while backpacking.

New Mexico and Arizona aren't so friendly. Although it must be said, New Mexico has an excellent tourist small bus transit system statewide. The small bus from Lordsburg to Silver City only costs $8 dollars. However, you best have a good supply of water if you're walking down the highway hauling a backpack. Although in both states motorists will occasionally throw an 8 oz. bottle of cold water out their car window as they pass you by. If you catch a ride in Arizona. or New Mexico.. be prepared to pay an pretty stiff sum for the ride. As long as you don't hop over any fence lines, you can usually pitch a tent on the side of the road just about anywhere, and no one will disturb you. Folks in both states are accustomed to seeing cross country cyclists camping along the side of the road.

FYI. Washington State also has an extensive small bus tourist transportation system that runs between towns similar to New Mexico.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread