Can anyone help me understand Oregons rules......

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd like to know if I can use my battery powered gold cube on the bank of the lower Columbia and if so do I need a permit? The regs are, to say the least, a bit confusing. I've searched all over the web but I keep coming up with info I'm not sure about and I really don't want to lose my equipment or stay in the grey bar hotel.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
The problem is defining what is recreational and what is mechanical. My understanding is that a battery operated pump is NOT considered a mechanical devise. Nor is a gold cube for that matter. A gasoline operated pump is another matter. If you LOOK like you're doing "recreational prospecting" and you're not impacting the local fish population, i assume nobodys going to bother you. But i'm like you, i'd like to see these distinctions ironed out in black and white rather than gray colored terminology. Thanks for bringing this issue up, because i'm headed for Oregon myself in the Spring.

OP
OP
mike(swWash)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's the problem.....I can't figure out if I can or can't.

Any ideas on who I might contact for a darker grey answer :BangHead:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
please stop useing that word "recreational" when refering to mining/prospecting! it has caused a lot of trouble for people that do mining/prospecting for a liveing and has stopped efforts in courts to get dredgeing back in California!if we in the mining community ever expect ot regain anything about our mining/prospecting RIGHTS all of us need to STOP useing that word. the state and gubermint departments like to put that "word" in all of their documentation and its killing us because of it!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The state of Washington is using the terms utilized by New Cat, he's just using the "legaleze" utilized to create a gray area in which the wardens,rangers,psfers can/will ticket you. As one mans recreation is yet another prospecting or yet anothers mining. Sneaky bureauratz live for this gray area crappola. BELIEVE absolutely nuttn' told you unless you can get a copy in writing and keep it in your truck/backpak in a freezer bag to REEDUCATE any cop who gives ya a load a garbage about your activities,then your covered,somewhat,educate and prosper is rule #1 in this insane litageous new order-John-:skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread