What did the ancients know about prospecting for gold ?

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
Let me say from the start i'm not some whacko selling a miraculous new devise. I am however curious to know how ancient people managed to find huge deposits of gold without the benefit of modern technology and geology. When the Spanish arrived in the New World, they found the Incas had rooms piled to the ceiling with gold treasure. Where'd all that gold come from ? How was it found ? Several hundred years later, the Conquistadores also discovered several Indian tribes in the Southwest that had been mining gold for a long, long time. But how did these stoneage people locate such rich deposits ? Makes you wonder, doesn't it ? Having lived in the mountains, i've noticed lightening often strikes repeatedly in the same location during thunderstorms. Almost like it's been attracted by something on the ground. I read up on lightening and learned that it actually originates at ground level, (Not in the sky). Technically speaking, lightening actually travels UP before it travels DOWN. Could it be that a sizeable gold deposit underground might act as a conductor of electricity ? Actually pinpointing an area where gold exists. Did ancient people use simple observation to locate gold deposits ? Better yet, doesn't the National Weather Service keep detailed records of how often and where lightening strikes the earth ? What if you overlayed this lightening strike information in areas where gold is already known to be found. Would a cluster of lightening strikes on a mountainside indicate a marker ? Maybe the ancients discovered something modern man has yet to figure out. What do you think ?

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I think the large deposits that existed are gone now. But I have heard this before. Now I heard this was a way the aztec looked for gold. But what did they need gold for except ceremonial burials? Another thing those satellites can do is notice growth of certain plants that grow better in say a copper bearing area. Doesnt take too much of a stretch to see they could find a large deposit of gold if any still exist.
I,m always amazed whenever someone says, "all the big finds are gone". Although it may be true every square inch of the lower 48's has been Flown over in recent times and photographed by satellites, there remains millions of acres of land that hasn't been covered on foot. Not in recent times, and perhaps in some cases Never. Certainly not by expert treasure hunters and prospectors. For instance, in Big Springs Texas I discovered two extraordinary sites. One was the site of a U.S Cavalry watering station attacked by the Comanches, which yielded military saddle stirrups, gun parts, arrow heads and a medicine bottle with a date of 1861 on it. The second site was a 17th Century Conquistador rock fort in Wildhorse Canyon next to the old Comanche Trail which gave up a 2 pound carronade cannon ball. The point is, both these locations were less than a mile from a paved highway or road. Local people knew the stone watering tank and rock fort were out there, but nobody knew how Old they were or Who used them last. Everyone assumed they were 19th Century structures. Even I had to photograph the rock walls of the fort and show the picture to a stone mason who easily identified the walls as a military structure and not the foundation of some homestead. Big boulders on the outside, smaller rocks inside the four foot walls. He said, "Castles been built that way for thousands of years".. "But not houses". That's when I started to metal detect and dig.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOT TRUE just look at all the amazing poundages just found at the potato patch and the righteous wire poundages mined around Liberty.Photos/videos here under detecting I believe. I've found MANY heavy poundage spots throughout the years and I absolutely love it when folks say all gone hahahaha mo'fo'me-John

OP
OP
T

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I'm sure there are still places in Idaho, Oregon and Wyoming where no white man has EVER walked. Maybe no Indian either. Some places are so inaccessable they can only be reached by helicopter and visits are limited to four months out of the year during Summer, (that is, unless you're looking to commit suicide). One fella i met said he was backpacking in Yellowstone Park and came up on an old cabin on Strawberry Creek that looked like it was used by panners in the 1800's. Everything was laying all over the ground, like they'd just left there a week earlier. He claims there were still gold in the creek. I also saw pictures on this very website earlier this month of an abandoned mine in Northern California that still contains a paystreak of gold. Maybe the miner died before he finished digging it out. Maybe he never made it back to town alive with his gold. Whatever the reason, the mine has been sitting there loaded with gold for decades. Waiting to be rediscovered.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure there are still places in Idaho, Oregon and Wyoming where no white man has EVER walked. Maybe no Indian either. Some places are so inaccessable they can only be reached by helicopter and visits are limited to four months out of the year during Summer, (that is, unless you're looking to commit suicide). One fella i met said he was backpacking in Yellowstone Park and came up on an old cabin on Strawberry Creek that looked like it was used by panners in the 1800's. Everything was laying all over the ground, like they'd just left there a week earlier. He claims there were still gold in the creek. I also saw pictures on this very website earlier this month of an abandoned mine in Northern California that still contains a paystreak of gold. Maybe the miner died before he finished digging it out. Maybe he never made it back to town alive with his gold. Whatever the reason, the mine has been sitting there loaded with gold for decades. Waiting to be rediscovered.

I always use to think that about the desert till I started hiking the mnts and soon relized that many others had already been here before, as we find signs of old miners all over these mnts. its amazing not much of this ole planet left untouched by man quest for minerals.
GT....

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone on here has a tag line something like "ever wonder where your ideas come from". Where did the Romans come up with the idea of using bad wine (vinegar) to assist in chemically breaking down rock, nice one Pville. And yes man has hiked many many places in the mountains and some of the gold they found were the awesome views they viewed of land and animals. Some of the spots I've hiked were/are flat out dangerous especially alone but dang they are beautiful as well as exciting to be around. Gold adds something to the beauty of the hills, both are still there........................63bkpkr

LP13

Dec 31, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A lot of the early explorers would go to a high point, then having their men test for gold, circling around that high point some meters down, they tested for signs of gold, marking with a flag or stake anywhere they found it. Then moving down further (some short distance further down) they repeated the process. In not too long of a time they were able to visually see a line (or lines) visualized by the stakes, indicating the source (or sources) of gold.

By starting at the high point, they minimized the amount of effort of locating gold veins. If one were to imagine some large river and testing along it working up to the source, that source could be hundreds of miles away (depending on size of river and drainage area). By working down, if there were any local sources for gold, the amount of time and effort involved was cut to a bare minimum.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some beads I got to see that a friend had. I am thinking they were from the south east during the Hopwillian or late Mississippian time frame.

100_1418.JPG

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting thought. Any links? I would be interested to see at what stage of our evolution they believe the tendencies were injected into the gene pool. Either way, gold is shiny, and I'm sure they found a lot of it when quarrying stone in some places.

View attachment 890459
Yep Ancient ET showed us how to find gold.

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
... Many scholars today believe we were genetically engineered to mine gold for and by aliens. Im not sold on the idea but it makes sense that we have such an affinity for gold and would also explain our knowledge of gold back to before recorded history.

Sooo -- how did the aliens know how to prospect? :icon_scratch:

GoldDoozah

Jul 21, 2013
MA
Detector(s) used
Pans and sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep Ancient ET showed us how to find gold.

As unlikely as it is, it is interesting to think about and can be a good mental exercise. Given the number of things that have happened in this vast universe since the dawn of time, stranger things have happened. We grow the most when we realize that something we once considered absurd is actually the truth. A closed mind is much less likely to realize such things.

You would think that for beings able to travel many light years, there would be far easier ways to obtain gold. If early man was bred to find gold, it was likely for a different reason. When we teach a dog to fetch a ball, it is not because we want to gather a bunch of balls. The fact that homo sapiens teach genetically engineered canines tricks, on the third planet of this particular star in the Milky Way, is extremely unlikely.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I'm a Dowser myself Bubba. I used rods to locate a friend's engagement ring she lost while mowing the yard. Took me all of about five minutes to pinpoint the ring. I amazed the guys at the fire department with demonstrations of how the rods worked. I must have impressed someone, because my personal locker was jimmied open and a set of rods were stolen. They were only a set of bent wire cloths hangers, so i wasn't especially angry about it. Nor did the theft of the rods guarantee anyone's chances of finding riches. It appears to me, either you have the talent to use the rods or you don't. I've seen people who picked it up in seconds and others who couldn't use the rods no matter how long they tried. Nor does it matter whether you are predisposed to believe the rods work or not. If seen non believers use them and be instantly converted. And i've seen believers who simply couldn't make the rods work. I have noticed many dowsers i've met seem to have a common problem with wearing wrist watches. If the back of the watch makes contact with their skin, the watch stops running after about a week and nobody (not even a watch maker) can fix it. I have to wear sport's watch wrist bands for this very reason.

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm a Dowser myself Bubba. I used rods to locate a friend's engagement ring she lost while mowing the yard. Took me all of about five minutes to pinpoint the ring. I amazed the guys at the fire department with demonstrations of how the rods worked. I must have impressed someone, because my personal locker was jimmied open and a set of rods were stolen. They were only a set of bent wire cloths hangers, so i wasn't especially angry about it. Nor did the theft of the rods guarantee anyone's chances of finding riches. It appears to me, either you have the talent to use the rods or you don't. I've seen people who picked it up in seconds and others who couldn't use the rods no matter how long they tried. Nor does it matter whether you are predisposed to believe the rods work or not. If seen non believers use them and be instantly converted. And i've seen believers who simply couldn't make the rods work. I have noticed many dowsers i've met seem to have a common problem with wearing wrist watches. If the back of the watch makes contact with their skin, the watch stops running after about a week and nobody (not even a watch maker) can fix it. I have to wear sport's watch wrist bands for this very reason.
Why not make a video of you dowsing with some controls and how efficiently you can find gold/jewelry etc to prove it works? Nobody ever has backed up their dowsing claims with proof that I have seen despite the countless stories... so I am a hardcore non-believer:)

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
as long as i have a good working metal detector i think i'll leave the rods to someone else, but i do use them to find water lines and have played with dowsing rods and gold and silver targets that i planted.
there is something to them, dowsing maps? and photos? i dunno, wth my metal detector i get all the cool junk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread